Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:53 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by Reaver
Why spoil it?

Im 36 now, and the older I get the stronger the urge to leave the UK gets. Working hours here are some of the longest, some of the smallest houses compared to other civilized countries, we have a real immigration problem because the restrictions that other countries impose, simply arent in place here. The country is going to the dogs. The political parties are systematically destroying the country trying to outdo each other, and you cant even get a simple job in a pub or a fast food joint without a CV and several references. When I get my degree I will have to work my bollocks off just to get a mediocre wage. Any civilized country would be a considerably better choice than dear old blighty. Is it worth risking losing all that you have achieved because you feel the call of home? IMO, no it isnt, but thats just me.

Brits working some of the longest hours in a Westernised country??:rofl :

Have fn in Canada mate? A country where you are regarded as a second class citizen if you haven't been to a top university and worked at this company. Low wages, high costs, 2 weeks annual leave..yeah no thanks.

In all seriousness I'm glad I don't live in Canada it's completely backwards even compared to Australian and soo far left it's dangerous.

For the OP. Why not go home and try it but try not to burn bridges in Perth in case you need to restart you business.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toodlepip
I think you do what's right for you and your family. We're heading back after almost 5 years, like someone else said we didn't come here because we thought England was a shithole, we came to experience life in a different country and for adventure.

I'm completely bemused by responses from people when I tell them we're heading back, it's almost always 'Don't you like it here?' or 'Do you hate Australia that much'. Why does it have to be 'England Bad, Australia Good' or vice versa? Really simplistic thinking yet it seems to be how so many people see it (both English & Aussie!). My Aussie mum is taking me wanting to come home to UK as a personal rejection of her country when it's not at all. We have no regrets about coming, but I know we'll regret staying any longer - that's a personal decision about what's right for me and my family and there will always be people who think we've done the right thing, and people who think we're nuts - really I don't care what other people think! (though wouldn't mind some pithy responses as I'm getting bored with continually having the same conversation in response to 'don't you like it here anymore' - said plaintively )

These threads always degenerate into a 'which country is better' competition. It's perfectly possible to like both! The oft quoted phrase 'same shit, different bucket' springs to mind - some of us just like changing the bucket more often than others -because we're all different!

Good luck with what you decide to do, it sounds like you all want to go home - so try it, from my experience once the thought of 'I could do it' enters your head, it doesn't go away! It's a good time to go in terms of the exchange rate etc, and presumably you have citizenship - you can always come back to Australia again .
Probably the most balanced reply so far. Good post.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:40 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And some people will tell the truth, not to rub your nose in anything but cos its true. Badge doesn't work longer hours, he rushes home to his lovely wife.
Some of us however just do work longer hours.
Unless Happyjacks ask him to do the late shift,straight after his shift at Coles
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Unless Happyjacks ask him to do the late shift,straight after his shift at Coles
Now that just wouldn't be fair would it....specially if it was late night and full of people just wanting chips and not being polite
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Now that just wouldn't be fair would it....specially if it was late night and full of people just wanting chips and not being polite
He'll need to move to north queensland then
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He'll need to move to north queensland then
I dunno, what about that one near the Royal Brisbane, always looks busy and most of the customers have had a few....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike-T
G'day all

First time poster here. Just found out about this site after living in the Antipodes for 15 years.

Well, I have lived in Auckland for 7.5 years, and I have now lived in Perth for 7.5 years. I am married with 3 boys who are now 17, 14 and 12. We are now in a position where we could comfortably return to UK and be mortgage free. And it is very, very tempting. Currently in Perth, we have a huge mortgage, which we can easily afford to make the payments, but to be mortgage free is very appealing.

We have had 3 trips to UK as a family since we emigrated and each time we loved it and did not want to leave, (despite being told by friends that a trip "home" would make us realise how lucky we are living down here) but financially it was impossible to return home.

But now, we could easily do it. We are from Manchester, but don't intend returning there. I have been doing a fair bit of research on Norfolk/Suffolk. It sounds like a great place to live (never been there). Property prices seem very reasonable, kids seem to do well at school and crime rates are low compared to the national average. But, we don't know anybody in this area. Are we mad?

I have a successful business here in Perth. I work 6 hours a day Mon-Fri, no weekends, life is pretty good. But, I am becoming more and more English in my old age. England really is calling me home and the urge to return is getting stronger.

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has returned to UK (good and bad stories.)

So, are we mad, or shall we do it?
You didn't mention what your family wants to do? Your boys have lived here their whole lives. But I know the call to be 'home' is a very strong one. I was born in the Uk but moved to Australia with my boyfriend (no husband) in my early 20's and felt at 'home' here and then brought my family back here 7 years ago. This is my 'home' and Blighty is that cold place on teh other side of the world (admittedly it does have its charms.)

If you family feel the way you do you should do it.

Sometimes I meet ex-pats here who are just so 'english' they don't belong anywhere else but England (and they are the ones who are least happiest in Australia - they will never even consider watching a game of Aussie Rules for example.)
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:41 am
FREE TIBET

I dunno, what about that one near the Royal Brisbane, always looks busy and most of the customers have had a few....
Yeah but it's run by very happy smiley indians,who's second language seems to be 'pish talk',so no matter how drunk you are yer order is NEVER wrong
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Yeah but it's run by very happy smiley indians,who's second language seems to be 'pish talk',so no matter how drunk you are yer order is NEVER wrong
I must remember that next time I go in there, I'll just talk pish and see what i end up with! I guess they subsidise their wages by making a fortune on the side selling stuff people leave behind How many pairs of glasses did you lose there?!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

G'day all

First time poster here. Just found out about this site after living in the Antipodes for 15 years.

Well, I have lived in Auckland for 7.5 years, and I have now lived in Perth for 7.5 years. I am married with 3 boys who are now 17, 14 and 12. We are now in a position where we could comfortably return to UK and be mortgage free. And it is very, very tempting. Currently in Perth, we have a huge mortgage, which we can easily afford to make the payments, but to be mortgage free is very appealing.

We have had 3 trips to UK as a family since we emigrated and each time we loved it and did not want to leave, (despite being told by friends that a trip "home" would make us realise how lucky we are living down here) but financially it was impossible to return home.

But now, we could easily do it. We are from Manchester, but don't intend returning there. I have been doing a fair bit of research on Norfolk/Suffolk. It sounds like a great place to live (never been there). Property prices seem very reasonable, kids seem to do well at school and crime rates are low compared to the national average. But, we don't know anybody in this area. Are we mad?

I have a successful business here in Perth. I work 6 hours a day Mon-Fri, no weekends, life is pretty good. But, I am becoming more and more English in my old age. England really is calling me home and the urge to return is getting stronger.

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has returned to UK (good and bad stories.)

So, are we mad, or shall we do it?
Sounds like you've made your mind up to move back so asking for opinions about it is kind of bizarre

Just do it
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sounds like you've made your mind up to move back so asking for opinions about it is kind of bizarre

Just do it
No Mate. If I had made my mind up I would have already "done it"

I am thinking that it may be a good move and I think to discuss it with friends and also with people on this site (migrants, and would be migrants) is very interesting.

The implications are HUGE after 15 years away from UK and 2 kids born and bred here, and the other was only 2 when we left UK, so they have to be considered. It's not something that can be rushed into.

I think if it was just me, I would definitely go home, but I cannot be that selfish, I must consider my wife and boys. That is why is good to hear other peoples opinions. From people who have already done it, people who are thinking of doing it, and people who would rather poke their eyes out than return to UK.

For what it's worth ALL of our mates think that we are completely bonkers for even considering it. And 90% of our friends are Brits.

The main thing stopping me is that we have witnessed so many people go home, only to come back within a few months all the poorer (financially), but maybe wiser!!!

As I said in my first post, maybe I am mad, maybe I'll get over it.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

No Mate. If I had made my mind up I would have already "done it"

I am thinking that it may be a good move and I think to discuss it with friends and also with people on this site (migrants, and would be migrants) is very interesting.

The implications are HUGE after 15 years away from UK and 2 kids born and bred here, and the other was only 2 when we left UK, so they have to be considered. It's not something that can be rushed into.

I think if it was just me, I would definitely go home, but I cannot be that selfish, I must consider my wife and boys. That is why is good to hear other peoples opinions. From people who have already done it, people who are thinking of doing it, and people who would rather poke their eyes out than return to UK.

For what it's worth ALL of our mates think that we are completely bonkers for even considering it. And 90% of our friends are Brits.

The main thing stopping me is that we have witnessed so many people go home, only to come back within a few months all the poorer (financially), but maybe wiser!!!

As I said in my first post, maybe I am mad, maybe I'll get over it.
One thing that amazes me is the determination of some of the people who do move back. There are a lot of them in the UK forum (that I posted the link to earlier) who are moving back in their 50s and 60s, many of them on their own, with no family back in the UK, and having been abroad for 20/30/40 years.

Me, I sit here and um and ah and reconsider and chew it over and always come to the same conclusion, leaving everything else aside, my financial situation here is good, but if I leave, I lose it and I have no money and no job. And thats with just me to consider. With a family in the equation it must be one heck of a decision to be faced with.
Only thing I can say is what I say to everyone who asks if they should move here in the first place.....get a large sheet of paper and write the For Aus things in one column and the For UK in the other. If everyone in the family does it then it might help a little.....maybe.........
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that amazes me is the determination of some of the people who do move back. There are a lot of them in the UK forum (that I posted the link to earlier) who are moving back in their 50s and 60s, many of them on their own, with no family back in the UK, and having been abroad for 20/30/40 years.

Me, I sit here and um and ah and reconsider and chew it over and always come to the same conclusion, leaving everything else aside, my financial situation here is good, but if I leave, I lose it and I have no money and no job. And thats with just me to consider. With a family in the equation it must be one heck of a decision to be faced with.
Only thing I can say is what I say to everyone who asks if they should move here in the first place.....get a large sheet of paper and write the For Aus things in one column and the For UK in the other. If everyone in the family does it then it might help a little.....maybe.........
Whilst I agree with you in principle Polly that lists of for and against's are good, but for me it came down to FEELINGS, how where my FEELINGS being in the UK vs my FEELINGS about living in Australia............no contest......
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Whilst I agree with you in principle Polly that lists of for and against's are good, but for me it came down to FEELINGS, how where my FEELINGS being in the UK vs my FEELINGS about living in Australia............no contest......
If I had based my return to the UK would still be in Australia. I really don't like the people in the UK (with the exception of some colleagues IT people are fairly smart) they are a miserable bunch of chavs. My decision was based entirely on the need to buy a house a reasonable distance from work and the impossibility of doing it on an Australian salary. 5 years work in the UK will sort that out nicely then back to my adopted home.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:27 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'm with Polly (figuratively speaking),

If it were just me - I'd do it, be back in England and enjoying all those things that I think I miss and no doubt being frustrated and missing things that I currently take for granted.

But its NOT just me is it - it never is. Can I seriously introduce that level of uncertainty to my kids lives when they are settled and involved members of a community, they have good schools, lots of friends, the best piano teacher I've ever come across...

Can I uproot an 11 yr old dog who's only ever lived in 1 house in subtropical Brisbane and make her live in a compeltely different world?

Can I rip my wife away from her family (much as they frustrate and annoy her - I'm sure 12,000kms would take their toll and HER family would never visit)...

Logistics.... Its all too hard - so I'll no doubt continue living life in Brisbane, wondering if it would be better in UK but not doing anything about it. Holidays in UK are always good and probably all the better for not having to live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.