Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by kips
Here here. I've been visiting the UK to see family every 2 years since I moved here 8 years go and loved every minute. If I could afford it I would move back to the UK in a flash. And that is not because I hate Australia but because I miss the family, history, culture and easy access to other countries. I wish people who have moved over here would STOP trashing the UK to justify their reason for emigrating to the other side of the planet.
Oh I forgot to mention going to live football games and you can't beat the fantastic atmosphere of an FA Cup Final at Wembley.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:32 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You could probably do a better job than some i know

It is though a real issue and i am one of the ones considering leaving. Its fairly simple economics for me. Here i cant afford a house, even on a 6 figure salary. Back in the UK i would earn the same, but be tax free, so in real terms a considerably higher income and cost of living is a LOT cheaper.
is it the house or the location you can't afford? The tax free thing is interesting, i take it Oz doesn't do the: if you're out of the country for more than 6 months of each tax year you don't pay tax?

Don't think I'll be living off just my immediate pension
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:06 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
is it the house or the location you can't afford? The tax free thing is interesting, i take it Oz doesn't do the: if you're out of the country for more than 6 months of each tax year you don't pay tax?

Don't think I'll be living off just my immediate pension
Check this out
http://comparativetaxation.treasury....pter_10-01.asp
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:56 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
cheers Rambi

so on a quick scan, I could live in Oz yetwork offshore and not pay tax as long as I'm offshore for 6 months and a day? Pretty much the same as UK.

mmm now where's that list of NATO jobs

min of a year off so plenty of time to research
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:11 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Rambi

so on a quick scan, I could live in Oz yetwork offshore and not pay tax as long as I'm offshore for 6 months and a day? Pretty much the same as UK.

You have to be a little careful that you don't fall foul of some other rules (on things like intention blah-de-blah) but that's generally the case.

Be careful with the UK as they are not as generous as you think. Read their rules further down the page.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:53 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

You have to be a little careful that you don't fall foul of some other rules (on things like intention blah-de-blah) but that's generally the case.

Be careful with the UK as they are not as generous as you think. Read their rules further down the page.
UK not too bothered about and have plenty of experience listening to the canteen man discussing the rules in the mess annoying when they're tax free on the same ship as you but you're not
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:04 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

UK not too bothered about and have plenty of experience listening to the canteen man discussing the rules in the mess annoying when they're tax free on the same ship as you but you're not
I can see that being complicated as well as annoying.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:09 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

I can see that being complicated as well as annoying.
Allowed for Civvys, including RFA, but not for military Even more annoying when septics and ozzies turn up in theatre and are tax free . The difference being though, we're better paid on normal ops, despite the usual wailing from retired officers

As for intentions mentioned earlier, mine is to live and work in Oz but never say never to a good gig offshore on FIFO
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I struggle to recognise the UK that some people talk about to be honest. Before I went back to the UK a few people said 'you'll see what I am talking about when you get there', well I'm afraid I must have disappointed them because I didnt see the gangs on every corner and the dirty streets and 100's of unemployed begging on the side of the road. Like you there are plenty of places I wouldn't live in the UK but I can point to a dozen areas within 20k's of where we are here I wouldn't live for free.
I couldn't agree more Chris, I really don't know where some of these people have lived or more likely what paper they were reading........

Well I am off to the local shop, I will try to avoid knives, hoodies, chavs, the riot squad and murders......

BTW this is the view from my back window, watch out for the gangs hiding in the bushes.
Attached Thumbnails The urge to return home is growing stronger-2011_0605quarrymill0022.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 5th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Rambi

The offshore tax loop hole allowing offshore staff to be tax free was closed last year. Now all must pay. Hence we dont see anywhere near as many Ozzies in my game working outside Australia.

It is still though ok to do it in the UK. Though the rules are harder than they used to be, most of the guys manage to be tax free from the UK.

Its the house and location we cant afford. Dont want a fixer upper and want to be close to the beach - that was a big part in our reasoning for comming to Oz.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

I think you do what's right for you and your family. We're heading back after almost 5 years, like someone else said we didn't come here because we thought England was a shithole, we came to experience life in a different country and for adventure.

I'm completely bemused by responses from people when I tell them we're heading back, it's almost always 'Don't you like it here?' or 'Do you hate Australia that much'. Why does it have to be 'England Bad, Australia Good' or vice versa? Really simplistic thinking yet it seems to be how so many people see it (both English & Aussie!). My Aussie mum is taking me wanting to come home to UK as a personal rejection of her country when it's not at all. We have no regrets about coming, but I know we'll regret staying any longer - that's a personal decision about what's right for me and my family and there will always be people who think we've done the right thing, and people who think we're nuts - really I don't care what other people think! (though wouldn't mind some pithy responses as I'm getting bored with continually having the same conversation in response to 'don't you like it here anymore' - said plaintively )

These threads always degenerate into a 'which country is better' competition. It's perfectly possible to like both! The oft quoted phrase 'same shit, different bucket' springs to mind - some of us just like changing the bucket more often than others -because we're all different!

Good luck with what you decide to do, it sounds like you all want to go home - so try it, from my experience once the thought of 'I could do it' enters your head, it doesn't go away! It's a good time to go in terms of the exchange rate etc, and presumably you have citizenship - you can always come back to Australia again .

Last edited by toodlepip; Jun 6th 2011 at 6:11 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:11 am
Shiny Arse Know All

The offshore tax loop hole allowing offshore staff to be tax free was closed last year. Now all must pay. Hence we dont see anywhere near as many Ozzies in my game working outside Australia.

It is still though ok to do it in the UK. Though the rules are harder than they used to be, most of the guys manage to be tax free from the UK.

Its the house and location we cant afford. Dont want a fixer upper and want to be close to the beach - that was a big part in our reasoning for comming to Oz.
Seems fair enough then. If you're mobile enough then go for it
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Here here. I've been visiting the UK to see family every 2 years since I moved here 8 years go and loved every minute. If I could afford it I would move back to the UK in a flash. And that is not because I hate Australia but because I miss the family, history, culture and easy access to other countries. I wish people who have moved over here would STOP trashing the UK to justify their reason for emigrating to the other side of the planet.
Not everyone trashes the UK as a whole, maybe just their little part of it. My life in the UK was crap. We couldn't move to anywhere else that was nicer due to my husband having to be close to London or live away from us during the week. Some peoples lives improve immeasurably by emigrating to the otherside of the planet. Why is trashing the UK any different to the likes of you who would move back trashing Australia??

Last edited by northernbird; Jun 6th 2011 at 7:23 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Need to become non-resident for tax.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:45 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

The UK is not a bad place and has some superior opportunities that Australia will never have such as culture, international feel, europe on your doorstep, career opporunities etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.