Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by quoll
My parents just had a similar experience - and that was a surprise for them because they usually know someone who knows someone. And that was in East Anglia.
I think it depends where you are. My hairdresser is from Harrogate and he told me that his brother who is a joiner is really struggling for work over the past 12 months and hasn't ever struggled in 25 years.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:52 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jezandem;9409597]How would they really know how they feel, if they have not spent significant time here?

It is just the same as moving the other way and plenty of us have done/are doing the same.

QUOTE]

Oh yes I agree, but the OP should also be prepared for the fact that his children (possibly the eldest) may find that he/she doesn't like the UK, misses friends etc and wants to move back.
Just another thing to think about - as if he doesn't have enough to think about already

Good luck to the OP whatever you decide.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

Thanks Juliecabs
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle to recognise the UK that some people talk about to be honest. Before I went back to the UK a few people said 'you'll see what I am talking about when you get there', well I'm afraid I must have disappointed them because I didnt see the gangs on every corner and the dirty streets and 100's of unemployed begging on the side of the road. Like you there are plenty of places I wouldn't live in the UK but I can point to a dozen areas within 20k's of where we are here I wouldn't live for free.

Originally Posted by Kapri
Absolutely!
I think this must be the case with some people.
I am going to emigrate for an adventure not because I live in a sh** hole.

In my area, like lots of others, there isn't gang warfare, chavs roaming the streets looking to film a happy slapping or immigrants taking all the jobs and leaving none for me!

Yes, there are plenty of areas in the UK that I wouldn't choose to live, there are also plenty of areas in Australia where I wouldn't choose to live.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is undoubtedly true, friends in Oxfordshire have never been so busy and wouldnt have known there had been a recession if they hadn't read it in the Daily Mail.

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think it depends where you are. My hairdresser is from Harrogate and he told me that his brother who is a joiner is really struggling for work over the past 12 months and hasn't ever struggled in 25 years.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

If you can afford to and want to do it, then do it. Simple as. Asking any more details on here such as 'is it the right thing to do' will get you a spread of opinions that will just get you even more confused I'm afraid.

Last edited by 77hil; Jun 4th 2011 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike-T
Well, we were back home last year and they all wanted to stay in UK!! I know, I know it was a "holiday" and we can't go off that.

I keep coming around to being mortgage free. It is very appealing. Another appeal is having holidays. In 15 years, we have had 3 trips to Manchester, and we go camping in January. We can't afford anything else. We couldn't afford our first trip back home, we put it on our mortgage. We had to go back for our own sanity. Another trip was for funeral/s.

I'd love to go to Bali, Fiji, Samoa etc. But it is way beyond our budget. Spain, Greece, Turkey wouldn't be. I miss overseas holidays.

I miss going to the pub and being able to afford a pint of proper beer. It's 6 quid a pint in Perth. I'm over the beach. This summer we just haven't been to the beach, it's too much effort. I just don't see what we are doing in Perth. I think the time is right, our eldest will be starting uni next year (teaching course is $18,000/year here) so we are prepared to pay UK fees. Middle child is very intelligent and the youngest is going up to high school next year, so I think it's now or never.

I still don't klnow if I'm daft or if it is the right thing to do. Maybe I'll snap out of it...who knows.

Thanks for the comments, it all helps.
Have you thought about moving to a smaller/less expensive home here? We built a big expensive house 2 years ago and are thinking that we may like to downsize to a 3x2 in a year or so. We found we really don't need the theatre room, formal lounge, office, spare bedroom, etc. We actually could do quite nicely with a smaller house and smaller mortgage which would let us do the things we like - like go to Bali or to visit family.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dave Teddyboy-No1
Most houses in Queensland are Queenslander,dont forget your in the tropics there,and the climate is a lot different
I wouldn't think most houses in Queensland are Queenslanders, infact I would say that they are now in the minority. Also, Brisbane isn't in the tropics, I think the tropics start at about Rockhampton.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:26 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a minute...you get to leave an isolated place with few options to live mortgage free in a very interesting, NOT isolated country with loads of history and family and culture?

Dude, do it.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Wait a minute...you get to leave an isolated place with few options to live mortgage free in a very interesting, NOT isolated country with loads of history and family and culture?

Dude, do it.
How the times have changed. On this site, you never used to talk about being mortgage-free until you were in the UK looking in this direction!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
I struggle to recognise the UK that some people talk about to be honest. Before I went back to the UK a few people said 'you'll see what I am talking about when you get there', well I'm afraid I must have disappointed them because I didnt see the gangs on every corner and the dirty streets and 100's of unemployed begging on the side of the road. Like you there are plenty of places I wouldn't live in the UK but I can point to a dozen areas within 20k's of where we are here I wouldn't live for free.
Here here. I've been visiting the UK to see family every 2 years since I moved here 8 years go and loved every minute. If I could afford it I would move back to the UK in a flash. And that is not because I hate Australia but because I miss the family, history, culture and easy access to other countries. I wish people who have moved over here would STOP trashing the UK to justify their reason for emigrating to the other side of the planet.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Well said. If it is so bad then how come when i tried to get some fellow geologists to move over here i couldnt get a single taker. Fully expensed move, slightly better money than they are on now and a roster of week on week off compared to the 6 week on 2 off they do now. Not one single taker.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:01 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well said. If it is so bad then how come when i tried to get some fellow geologists to move over here i couldnt get a single taker. Fully expensed move, slightly better money than they are on now and a roster of week on week off compared to the 6 week on 2 off they do now. Not one single taker.
Can I volunteer then Not a Geologist but did do an OU course many moons ago on geology, plate tectonics etc Must be a 4 week course somewhere
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably do a better job than some i know

It is though a real issue and i am one of the ones considering leaving. Its fairly simple economics for me. Here i cant afford a house, even on a 6 figure salary. Back in the UK i would earn the same, but be tax free, so in real terms a considerably higher income and cost of living is a LOT cheaper.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
<snip>OZ houses are usually crammed together like sardines, and people live with all their doors and windows open, out cooking on decks, kids screaming in pools, sitting outside till all hours.

YOu wont find a place on the planet where your neighbours are more in your face or IME inconsiderate.
<snip>
Unless you buy a house with a few acres in an area where that isn't the case. For just over $300k (5 years ago, mind).

Just sayin' ...

I think I may give up picking up on lazy generalisations from now on, it gets tiring and the fodder seems to be thick and widespread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.