Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by verystormy
Chatting to my best mate back there who has just renovated his bathroom it looks like good tradies are in as big a demand as ever. He struggled to get any of the people that had been recomended to him as everyone was booked solid
My parents just had a similar experience - and that was a surprise for them because they usually know someone who knows someone. And that was in East Anglia.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:50 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP,

How do your children feel about a move back here to the UK?
I'm not suggesting for one moment that children should dictate where the family live ultimately, but they would be leaving everything and everyone that they have ever known.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
To the OP,

I'm not suggesting for one moment that children should dictate where the family live ultimately, but they would be leaving everything and everyone that they have ever known.
How would they really know how they feel, if they have not spent significant time here?

It is just the same as moving the other way and plenty of us have done/are doing the same.

Norfolk is lovely and fairly cheap, we have spent many happy holidays there.

Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
To the OP,

Well, we were back home last year and they all wanted to stay in UK!! I know, I know it was a "holiday" and we can't go off that.

I keep coming around to being mortgage free. It is very appealing. Another appeal is having holidays. In 15 years, we have had 3 trips to Manchester, and we go camping in January. We can't afford anything else. We couldn't afford our first trip back home, we put it on our mortgage. We had to go back for our own sanity. Another trip was for funeral/s.

I'd love to go to Bali, Fiji, Samoa etc. But it is way beyond our budget. Spain, Greece, Turkey wouldn't be. I miss overseas holidays.

I miss going to the pub and being able to afford a pint of proper beer. It's 6 quid a pint in Perth. I'm over the beach. This summer we just haven't been to the beach, it's too much effort. I just don't see what we are doing in Perth. I think the time is right, our eldest will be starting uni next year (teaching course is $18,000/year here) so we are prepared to pay UK fees. Middle child is very intelligent and the youngest is going up to high school next year, so I think it's now or never.

I still don't klnow if I'm daft or if it is the right thing to do. Maybe I'll snap out of it...who knows.

Thanks for the comments, it all helps.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike-T
Well, we were back home last year and they all wanted to stay in UK!! I know, I know it was a "holiday" and we can't go off that.

I keep coming around to being mortgage free. It is very appealing. Another appeal is having holidays. In 15 years, we have had 3 trips to Manchester, and we go camping in January. We can't afford anything else. We couldn't afford our first trip back home, we put it on our mortgage. We had to go back for our own sanity. Another trip was for funeral/s.

I'd love to go to Bali, Fiji, Samoa etc. But it is way beyond our budget. Spain, Greece, Turkey wouldn't be. I miss overseas holidays.

I miss going to the pub and being able to afford a pint of proper beer. It's 6 quid a pint in Perth. I'm over the beach. This summer we just haven't been to the beach, it's too much effort. I just don't see what we are doing in Perth. I think the time is right, our eldest will be starting uni next year (teaching course is $18,000/year here) so we are prepared to pay UK fees. Middle child is very intelligent and the youngest is going up to high school next year, so I think it's now or never.

I still don't klnow if I'm daft or if it is the right thing to do. Maybe I'll snap out of it...who knows.

Thanks for the comments, it all helps.
If you haven't already discovered it, the Moving Back to the UK forum is here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61 - might provide some more food for thought, on both sides of the question
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some very funny posts and comments in this thread, some would have us believe that England is a war zone I was there recently and didn't see evidence of it even though the Daily Mail did try to convince me it is true
I guess many left bad areas in the UK and now live in nice areas but from experience you dont need to move to the other side of the world to achieve the same result.
We are heading back after 12 years in Brisbane because it feels like the right thing to do, we wouldnt do it if it was even half as bad as some would like us to believe.
We will (hopefully) be mortgage free in a much bigger termite free house that will last another 500 years.
My advice is do it, you know you want to
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike-T
.... I think the time is right, our eldest will be starting uni next year (teaching course is $18,000/year here) so we are prepared to pay UK fees......
Assuming that your child gets a commonwealth-supported place at Uni here there's no way that teaching costs $18k a year. Uni tuition fees for Teaching are Band 1 now - so around $5.5k a year.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that Muslims want exactly the same thing here don't you ? Many Muslim leaders have called for Sharia Law here but as in the UK it wont happen.
I'm not sure what this means "family murders on the streets of Britain,"
Believe me as someone with lots of British friends the country is NOT one big joke for most people and they also dont want to move out today, they are more than happy with their lives. They have regular holidays, plenty of meals out, nights at the pub, generally they don't live on credit.

Originally Posted by Dave Teddyboy-No1

Then you have mass migration to contend with,there will soon be a generation of kids over there that will never get a job,imigration over there is a big problem,one group in particular is a real problem,they want their own laws,and they dictate to the government what they want or dont want,they thn greet British troops returning from afghanistan with racial,and hatred slurs and insults,whats that about?,yet they are happy to take the dole,and they hate us infedels,they want their own law,ie sharia law,who wants to see that,family murders on the streets of Britain,then you have the polish who return to poland and the british government is still paying them unemployment benifits,the country is one big joke now.

Laws are being made in brussels to rule the people of Britain,in that case why have a government,the government that was not voted in by the people,in a hung parliament they should have gone back to the polls as soon as possible,as a baby boomer,i hate to see what is happening to the country of my birth,but there is nothing i or anyone else can do,i loved growing up in the 60`s,in the 70`s as a teenager i had more fun,i went for 7 jobs in one week and got all 7,i had to choose which one to take,today,you could go for 7 jobs,only to find that you are one of several hundred,there are many things wrong with every country in the world,but England/Britian,has more,and you pay more,i have friends over there that pay out more than they earn,they earn just above the rate that stops them getting any benifits that would help them a lot,and all the people i have asked if they would move out of the uk today,all said they would..........Just my opinion............
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:30 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There are some very funny posts and comments in this thread, some would have us believe that England is a war zone I was there recently and didn't see evidence of it even though the Daily Mail did try to convince me it is true
I guess many left bad areas in the UK and now live in nice areas but from experience you dont need to move to the other side of the world to achieve the same result.
Absolutely!
I think this must be the case with some people.
I am going to emigrate for an adventure not because I live in a sh** hole.

In my area, like lots of others, there isn't gang warfare, chavs roaming the streets looking to film a happy slapping or immigrants taking all the jobs and leaving none for me!

Yes, there are plenty of areas in the UK that I wouldn't choose to live, there are also plenty of areas in Australia where I wouldn't choose to live.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

Thanks for that Pollyana
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Absolutely!
I think this must be the case with some people.
I am going to emigrate for an adventure not because I live in a sh** hole.

In my area, like lots of others, there isn't gang warfare, chavs roaming the streets looking to film a happy slapping or immigrants taking all the jobs and leaving none for me!

Yes, there are plenty of areas in the UK that I wouldn't choose to live, there are also plenty of areas in Australia where I wouldn't choose to live.
Ditto

If we don't get on in Oz, we will come back no problem.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jezandem
Ditto

If we don't get on in Oz, we will come back no problem.
Thats the best way to approach it. I get the feeling that many people feel that if you move back you've failed. Utter crap in my opinion it's all part of life's great adventure.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Thats the best way to approach it. I get the feeling that many people feel that if you move back you've failed. Utter crap in my opinion it's all part of life's great adventure.
Nah, moving to Australia from England is an admission of failure.

Well that's what Jeremy Clarkson said anyway...
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:06 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Returning to be mortgage free is a temptation for sure.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Nah, moving to Australia from England is an admission of failure.

Well that's what Jeremy Clarkson said anyway...
Must be true then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.