Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

With the talk of middle power countries having access to Nuclear weapons, Like India and Pakistan, with the possibility of some Middle eastern Countries acquiring them in the not to distant future, Do you think Australia being a Major Uranium supplier, may have it's own nuclear weapons, provided by other nations ? being the most strategic target and Allie in the Southern Hemisphere.

Looks like we are heading into a much more dangerous world, with the probable unstoppable spread of these weapons. After the longest period of world peace, brought a stalemate caused by these weapons between the superpowers, the smaller nations acquiring these is suddenly going to change the anti.

So, do you think Aussie should have access to them, or do you think they already have them.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Aussie already has access to them, on it's own soil.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
With the talk of middle power countries having access to Nuclear weapons, Like India and Pakistan, with the possibility of some Middle eastern Countries acquiring them in the not to distant future, Do you think Australia being a Major Uranium supplier, may have it's own nuclear weapons, provided by other nations ? being the most strategic target and Allie in the Southern Hemisphere.

Looks like we are heading into a much more dangerous world, with the probable unstoppable spread of these weapons. After the longest period of world peace, brought a stalemate caused by these weapons between the superpowers, the smaller nations acquiring these is suddenly going to change the anti.

So, do you think Aussie should have access to them, or do you think they already have them.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Aussie already has access to them, on it's own soil.
No. Australia is a nuclear free zone. It is written into our legislation at the highest levels.

We have no nuclear weapons, and no intention of obtaining them.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

I think everyone should have the option of keeping a small tactical nuke in the bedside table, alongside the PPK and the baseball bat, for personal protection.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:05 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Its a question of how technologically you are advance!
Australia if cannot generate a nuke why did it miss oppurtunity to take some advice of Dr. AQ Khan

My view every Tom, Dick and Harry should have nuke...
If Australia is not having nukes then its fooling its ownself... Neither US nor UK will come to defend when a small country like Indonesia threathen or one day invades part of Australia

Lets face it we have not put a decent picture in Asia being a good friend with US, and a dormant partner with UK in all their (mis)deeds, so being self prepared is the key..
Go ahead in making nukes if you have good scientists in store.. Mr Jonny
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

What was it they used to test around Woomera/SA in the 60s? I thought it was nuclear weapons Was that on behalf of UK govt? (Vash?) If it was testing by other govts, I guess the nuclear-free legislation came long after the testing had finished?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
What was it they used to test around Woomera/SA in the 60s? I thought it was nuclear weapons Was that on behalf of UK govt? (Vash?) If it was testing by other govts, I guess the nuclear-free legislation came long after the testing had finished?
I think that's what caused the "Nuclear Free" Decision Yes, it was British testing.

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:27 am
ABCDiamond

However, the nuclear research reactor, provided by the UK, at Lucas Heights, does warrant comments

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia has one nuclear reactor and enough material to make a 'dirty' bomb very quickly. Given enough time, I'm sure a proper nuke could be put together with what's here.

I'm also sure the yanks wouldn't hesitate to 'protect' Australia (and its large reserves of uranium) from an invading force. Whether we would be able to get rid of them after the threat was dispelled is another question.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 15th 2006 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm also sure the yanks wouldn't hesitate to 'protect' Australia
I should hope so too, as Australia and the USA are members of the ANZUS alliance, the defence security pact for the Pacific region.

Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No. Australia is a nuclear free zone. It is written into our legislation at the highest levels.
Must have been before Howard and Bush struck a deal to allow US testing bases in Australia sadly. See David Bradbury's film "Blowing in the Wind". One in Rockhampton QLD where an increase in birth defects is now being recorded after depleted-uranium testing, and 1 in lancelin just one hour north and upwind of Perth. Geez, that's where we're going :scared: I understand the former WA premier was very anti-nuke but Howard could override anything in an agreement with Bush.

Also Australia do allow nuclear powered and armed ships off its ports, saw it myself off Freemantle in 2003.

Will be checking out geiger counters on ebay pronto...
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

We have no nuclear weapons, and no intention of obtaining them.

I dont have the kind of faith that you seem to have in the machinations and intentions of Government that you have, especially on this issue Vash.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I should hope so too, as Australia and the USA are members of the ANZUS alliance, the defence security pact for the Pacific region.
I wonder if it is the AUS alliance now! (That has a bit of familiar ring to it )
I read the other day that the US wouldn't let NZ play in its war games because of their failure to support them in Iraq.

All in all, it's a good thing the Z can leave with the N

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 15th 2006 at 11:04 am.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should nuke a few countrys, just because we can.
It might rid the Atmosphere of CO2 which is a bigger threat to the world than nuclear energy would ever be..................... mm
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
British testing, with disastrously hideous results for which the British government has (predictably) consistently refused to compensate Australia.

Punch "Maralinga" into Google and see what you get.

It ain't pretty.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Unhappy Re: Uranium, Nuclear weapons and Australia

Originally Posted by happymum
Must have been before Howard and Bush struck a deal to allow US testing bases in Australia sadly. See David Bradbury's film "Blowing in the Wind". One in Rockhampton QLD where an increase in birth defects is now being recorded after depleted-uranium testing, and 1 in lancelin just one hour north and upwind of Perth. Geez, that's where we're going :scared: I understand the former WA premier was very anti-nuke but Howard could override anything in an agreement with Bush.

Also Australia do allow nuclear powered and armed ships off its ports, saw it myself off Freemantle in 2003.

Will be checking out geiger counters on ebay pronto...
"Nuclear Free" means "nuclear weapon free." At times it seems to be little more than semantics, but it's kept us relatively clean so far (touch wood.)

We can't stop nuclear vessels from approaching our ports, it's true. I remember several visits of Yank battleships to Fremantle when I lived in WA; it always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.