Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Upset family - how did it go for you?

Upset family - how did it go for you?

Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:16 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upset family - how did it go for you?

Hi

Feeling very down today. We told family on the weekend of our decision to apply and it has not gone down well. Understandably they are upset and it is a horrible time. We are both feeling terrible but are sticking to our decision. What have your experiences been like and how did you stay focused and positive when you know you are upsetting the people in the world you don't want to upset? We want to be excited and happy (although the computer still might say no) but feel like we can't be, it is a heavy weight on our shoulders.

Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:47 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upset family - how did it go for you?

come on mate remember why your doing this

at the end of the day modern technology is fantastic nowadays
what with pc and web cams,picture and video phones

i know its hard but they will see your side and reasons and they will come round
they have got a bit of time to come to terms with your decision

they love you and they are gutted but they will want what makes you feel happy and whats best for you and yours

keep your chin up

jan xx
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

Feeling very down today. We told family on the weekend of our decision to apply and it has not gone down well. Understandably they are upset and it is a horrible time. We are both feeling terrible but are sticking to our decision. What have your experiences been like and how did you stay focused and positive when you know you are upsetting the people in the world you don't want to upset? We want to be excited and happy (although the computer still might say no) but feel like we can't be, it is a heavy weight on our shoulders.

Hello

We are from Keynsham near bristol and have been here in melbourne just over a year.When we told my family my mum was very angry for a good few months and to my suprise came around when she realsied we were actually going and both my parents were fantastic and still are a great support.My husand however is still having big problems with his family at year on.We don't regret the desion we made to come here but have had major guilt trips form mother in law you just have to keep faith that you are doing the right thing.

hope things get easier
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Upset family - how did it go for you?

Hi

Hi, I am from your area originally, village called Marshfield halfway between Bath and Chippenham. Lot of my family live in the Hanham area of Bristol.

My close family are pleased with our decision, because they can come and visit, and the total number of days they will spend with us per year will be more than if we stayed in the UK.

That's one way to look at it........

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:19 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I look at it like 'they could have done it years ago if they wanted to but chose to do with their life what they did' It's our turn now to live our lives as we want. An upset family would be bottom of my list of reasons not to have come
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I look at it like 'they could have done it years ago if they wanted to but chose to do with their life what they did' It's our turn now to live our lives as we want. An upset family would be bottom of my list of reasons not to have come

Yes I suspect the diving in QLD is more conducive than in the West Country of the UK, unless you like wrecks, which I find rather boring. "oh man, did you see that propellor" doesn't really do it for me. "oh man, did you see that Manta Ray / Turtle / Seahorse" - that's my idea of fun.

Ooops hijacked thread, sorry Vernons.

Cheers

Buzzy

PADI DM#453248

Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:26 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Give them time. You've had time to make the decision so they will need time to adjust to the idea. In our case my mum was initially devasted as we were taking her only two grandchildren. Everyone else was quite happy for us. It's now that my sister is devvasted because we're finally going and my mum is busy getting us ready to go.

Tell them about it in small chunks. It will get easier (hopefully).

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:27 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I suspect the diving in QLD is more conducive than in the West Country of the UK, unless you like wrecks, which I find rather boring. "oh man, did you see that propellor" doesn't really do it for me. "oh man, did you see that Manta Ray / Turtle / Seahorse" - that's my idea of fun.

Ooops hijacked thread, sorry Vernons.

Cheers

Buzzy

PADI DM#453248

yep - had to wonder where we'd gone with that one LOL - Wrecks are ok for some different diving - couldn't say I am a wreck obsessive though. OH not fussed by them, she likes reef and life etc.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by 232Bar
yep - had to wonder where we'd gone with that one LOL - Wrecks are ok for some different diving - couldn't say I am a wreck obsessive though. OH not fussed by them, she likes reef and life etc.
Have bumped your Missus' old thread to avoid hijacking this one too much.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad's been an arse about it from day 1.

He's not got much better 18 months later

Hi

Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:07 am
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hi, We're also from Bristol.
Try to focus on why you want to go and see if the people who aren't happy with your decision can be made to think like you.If like us you want a chance of a better future for the children and yourselves then I'm sure given time your family will understand.When we moved from kingswood to Downend my Dad actually said " why are you moving all that way!"
It's only 3 miles tops!!!!!!
Thankfully they now see why we moved (schools etc) and are fully behind are planned move to Brisbane. Best wishes and try to come along to the meet up,meet up with like minded people ,it really does help you know.You can always P.M and we'll have a chat if you like.
Rugbymad
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:12 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

You will find most family will react with shock and sadness when you tell them you want to move away but that is just natural. My family were not that impressed to start with but now they are used to the idea they are planning when they can come out and see us when we move.

It can make you feel guilty but I always think, what if we don't try, it could be the best thing we ever did and we don't want to look back with any regrets thinking what if.

As others have said with web cameras, email etc you can still keep in close contact with family and friends. All I would say is try to keep all discussions about it with family calm and positive and try to keep to the benefits of going rather than the negatives of this country as reasons.

Good luck
Dave
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

Hi

My mum and dad were 100% behind us from the start. My dad said our son would be alot better off in Oz. My mother-in-law was against it at the beginning but 12 months later she is planning when she is coming to see us, after having said she would never see us again.

I think once they realise you are definately going they have to come round to the idea or lose you forever.

Good luck

Shorty
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We told my parents in October (everything has happened quite suddenly as we're going on a sponsored temp 457) and we should be leaving in Feb/march. Reaction was awful and it's worse now. Mum is on valium and Dad has stopped talking. Very sad and incredibly stressful but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity so we feel we have to take it.

Ah well .

Hope your parents are more understanding .
TJ
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you feel. Adam's Mum still can't understand why we want to go (all his family live within a 5 mile radius!) - Adam's Dad is fully supportive. My parents were fully supportive and totally understood our reasons - doesn't make it that much easier! Then it got worse as my Dad contract cancer for a second time - this time terminal and at the end my brother with the other grandchildren planned to move to Chester. So, that has made it so much harder. Dad passed away in October and Mum is doing really well, but it doesn't help that all the grandchildren are being taken away within 2 days of each other....

However, she would be horrified is we decided not to go on her account. MIL would be pleased if we didn't go on her account and she has 3 grandchildren around the corner and her husband still with her. Still folk are all different.

Good luck - and as many others have said you are doing this for you and your immediate family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.