Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ups and Downs - first week in Oz

Ups and Downs - first week in Oz

Old Sep 7th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ups and Downs - first week in Oz

Just a quick entry to give you an insight into my first week in OZ.
We arrived on 25th August and are currently staying with sister on Sunshine Coast.
Got the main paperwork sorting - filed for tax ref number, registered to teach (supply) locally, bank accounts sorted etc. Found that my first direct bank very helpful as will exchange money with just a phone call and will deal with live rates as they are trading live so you can see the trading rates and ring them straight away to arrange a transfer of funds. HSBC not too helpful and also wanted $2000 to open an account in OZ even though I said I would have money to transfer in.
So have a Commonwealth Bank account now.
Have had to use Medicare in the first week of being here - daughter broke toe in McDonalds play area! Cost $35 for consultation with dr but will get $25 back - X-ray was bulk billed so cost me nothing! $20 deposit for crutches - will get back upon their safe return.
On the work front - got a couple of days relief work in a local school so not too bad.
House prices (Sunshine Coast)- gone mad over last year or so - not much under $300000 and land prices soaring - may have to move further North to get what we want for the money we can spend.
Weather good - cool at night 9-10 degrees - 24-27 in the day time.
Fast food - cheap - other food similar to home.
Bye for now
The jacksons
Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:16 am
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow all that in a week,whenever we've been it's taken that long just to get over the jet lag.
Thanks for the info about HSBC we were going to use them as thats who we're with in UK but I'll have a rethink now.
The medicare system seems fair enough I hope you get your money back swiftly,I cant help thinking that if this was in UK you'd be waiting for months.
Good luck in OZ!
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you.

Let me know what you think of the schools out there, when you get a chance!

The prices do seem to keep going up and up. I think the houses we have looked at last year are about $100 000 more now!! Typical, never mind they are still cheaper than over here.

Keep in touch
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ups and Downs - first week in Oz

thanks for info....i have first direct as well n the uk and was planning to open online hsbc account so info useful. when u mean live transfer...u mean into ur new commonwealth account? did u have to call first direct here? i dont think they have a branch in oz ...i do think they are the most helpful bank!
Old Sep 7th 2003, 1:19 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I have had no problems setting up an account with the HSBC from the UK prior to arrival and will be able to transfer funds in from my LloydsTSB account once I give them the go ahead to exchange at a rate I am happy with.

Also the bank charges with the Commonwealth are bad compared with the HSBC. Each to their own but with $2000 in the HSBC account you get a decent interest rate 4.1% I think

Jo
Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've been really busy. Keep those of us waiting, and waiting lots of news
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Regarding the HSBC - yes I think if you know exactly where you are going to be then the HSBC is ok but the nearest branch to us on Sunshine Coast is in Brisbane which is 60 miles away. I have opened a Commonwealth bank in local town which is much more personal and I have a savings rate of 4.4% so a good rate of interest. HSBC only ask if you are waiting at this end to open an account - I did argue that I already have an account over in the UK and that I had a lot of money to transfer but that made no difference.
First Direct transfered my money into Commonwealth bank - no problem. By a live rate I mean that they go by the current trading rates which change every 2 minutes or so rather than setting a rate for the day - if you think the rate is good you can ring then and get the rate for that precise minute and set it there and then. I think Commonwealth bank in London will also do a rate watch for you - you set a rate at which you`d like to exchange and they will exchange your money if the rate reaches what you want - of course it may never reach what you want and you are left with sterling. The chap I spoke to at the Commonwealth Bank said the longer term forcasts were that the Aussie Dollar would be worth about $2.33 to the pound by the end of the year - who knows.

Sarah
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:33 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by The Jacksons
Hi

Regarding the HSBC - yes I think if you know exactly where you are going to be then the HSBC is ok but the nearest branch to us on Sunshine Coast is in Brisbane which is 60 miles away. I have opened a Commonwealth bank in local town which is much more personal and I have a savings rate of 4.4% so a good rate of interest. HSBC only ask if you are waiting at this end to open an account - I did argue that I already have an account over in the UK and that I had a lot of money to transfer but that made no difference.
First Direct transfered my money into Commonwealth bank - no problem. By a live rate I mean that they go by the current trading rates which change every 2 minutes or so rather than setting a rate for the day - if you think the rate is good you can ring then and get the rate for that precise minute and set it there and then. I think Commonwealth bank in London will also do a rate watch for you - you set a rate at which you`d like to exchange and they will exchange your money if the rate reaches what you want - of course it may never reach what you want and you are left with sterling. The chap I spoke to at the Commonwealth Bank said the longer term forcasts were that the Aussie Dollar would be worth about $2.33 to the pound by the end of the year - who knows.

Sarah
$2.33 to the £ by the end of the year. Ahhhhhh! Hope Not!!

:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Glad you all arrived safely.

footie chick
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:04 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by The Jacksons
The chap I spoke to at the Commonwealth Bank said the longer term forcasts were that the Aussie Dollar would be worth about $2.33 to the pound by the end of the year - who knows.
A financial advisor who charges $300 per hour told me today (free advice so far) that the concensus is that the A$ will weaken rather than strengthen in the mid to long term.

In the short term, who knows what it'll do.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:08 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've never looked into this but there must be some forward exchange data published, this will give the market's view of where the dollar is headed relative to the pound. There is no better source of information.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.westpac.com.au/forms/fore...0808382&page=3

I have no idea how to interpret the above page but it is for forward forex margins. It must be some indicator.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:42 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

The negatives suggest a slight weakening in strength of the $AU in the near term (one year) with (depending on which rate you use) the rate going from $1= 2.39 to $1=2.42.

These rates are based on internatinal money market rates and therefore everyone in the world who trades these currencies. These people take account of all potential issues which they think will affect rates going forward, the market prices then act as the average of all these opinions.

Whist the actual forward rate now may not come to pass, it is the current view. Any individual who thinks that they can guess currency movements better than the average of every trader in the world should seek employment and their fortune as a currency speculator.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:32 am
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue mcDonalds mate, we sue everyone here for everything !!!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ButtonMoon
Sue mcDonalds mate, we sue everyone here for everything !!!

Oh yeah that we do !

Oz is the second most litigious country in the world after the United States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.