Upon stepping off the plane in Melbourne.......any ideas

Wikiposts

Upon stepping off the plane in Melbourne.......any ideas

Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:08 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upon stepping off the plane in Melbourne.......any ideas

Hello all

I will be on my way soon, once the house is sold, tied up the loose ends etc etc etc and will then be jumping on the plane and arriving in Melbourne.

Now knowing a great deal about Melbourne I am after some advice and info about the best plan of action after setting foot off the plane and starting my Oz adventure. I know I need to get my tax file number, Medicare and the like but I could really do with some pointers in the immediate short term in Melbourne.

Short term accomodation is the main one I suppose. I do not want to be in a hotel for very long as the money wont last long that way. Just some pointers, hints and tips on my first few days from the people who have already done it would be HUGELY helpful.

Can anybody point me in a good direction??

Ian J
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upon stepping off the plane in Melbourne.......any ideas

Originally posted by ianj
Hello all

I will be on my way soon, once the house is sold, tied up the loose ends etc etc etc and will then be jumping on the plane and arriving in Melbourne.

Now knowing a great deal about Melbourne I am after some advice and info about the best plan of action after setting foot off the plane and starting my Oz adventure. I know I need to get my tax file number, Medicare and the like but I could really do with some pointers in the immediate short term in Melbourne.

Short term accomodation is the main one I suppose. I do not want to be in a hotel for very long as the money wont last long that way. Just some pointers, hints and tips on my first few days from the people who have already done it would be HUGELY helpful.

Ian J
try www.theage.com.au
this is the website of the paper of the same name. Click on the domian section and you will be able to start some searches for renting property or even get some ideas of house prices for the future. there are also links to job searches as well. Good luck in Melbourne.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upon stepping off the plane in Melbourne.......any ideas

Originally posted by ianj
Hello all

Ian J
tons of rental agencies - best to head out to the suburb you want to live in and pick upthe latest renatl lists. Or on internet try
www.collinssimms.com.au
www.hockingstuart.com.au
www.ljhooker.com.au
or www.domain.com.au

cheap short-term accomodation on www.wotif.com - should be able to find an apt for a few nights.

car hire - you pay surcharge if you pick up/drop off at airport so look into picking up a car in city (surcharge is %age of total rental so will depend on how longyou're renting for)

if you are going to buy a car, organise your driving test with vicroads - car insurance should be cheaper with an Oz licence

Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:01 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks guys for the info.

The driving test thing, I only need to take a written test within 3 months of arriving I believe. I have held my full licence here for 13 years so all I need is that, proof of no claims and sit the exam.......unless its all changed recently.

Am I right in what I think????