Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uplift us up where we belong.......

Uplift us up where we belong.......

Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:28 am
owieb

Default Uplift us up where we belong.......

Well, following on from my 'stranded in Singapore' post, we made it back on our scheduled flights thanks to some fantastic help from the Australian Commission in Singapore and the Adelaide skills processing center.

We were supposed to get our visas evidenced in Singapore on 19th January, but due to problems in Adelaide this didn't happen. We were then hoping that we would get them sorted by the Wednesday as the High Commission was closed on Thursday and Friday due to Chinese New Year. Come Wednesday the visa information still wasn't ready so it was looking like we had to continue staying in Singapore.

After a few emails to Adelaide and our agent we had special arrangements made for us to return to Australia without our new visas (as we only had to be out of the country while the visa was granted). The only thing we needed to do was get our passports back which were still inside the Australian High Commission. But the very helpful boss there, on his day off, managed to get into the building, collect our passports and drop them off at our hotel.

So it's a big thumbs up to Adelaide, my agent and the High Commission in Singapore for all their help!

Now all i've got to do is go into the immigration department in Perth and get our little stickers put in our passports. But we are now permanent residents; it's taken just over 2 years (including skills assessment) to get it!

Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Owieb.

What gadgets are you getting with the money that would have gone on business class fares?
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Congrats Oweib, You sound like someone OZ is lucky to have.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:49 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you had a happy ending - congrats on your new status!

(Looks like the four of us can get 3 weeks in Thailand via Thai from Singapore to Phuket for SGD1350 - not bad, a bit worse than Singapore Airlines 2 week special but still cheap, I think! So thanks for your help... )
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:20 am
owieb

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Glad you had a happy ending - congrats on your new status!

(Looks like the four of us can get 3 weeks in Thailand via Thai from Singapore to Phuket for SGD1350 - not bad, a bit worse than Singapore Airlines 2 week special but still cheap, I think! So thanks for your help... )
Sounds good. Just watch out for the funky chickens in Thailand! :scared:

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

ARGGGGGHHHHHHH...you've ruined it!!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:23 am
owieb

Originally posted by bondipom
Congrats Owieb.

What gadgets are you getting with the money that would have gone on business class fares?
Cheers Bondi.

Not sure what to get at the moment. Just been pricing up some computers and things.

Very tempted by an Apple G5 and an iPod or build a nice new super intel pc or buy a new smaller kite (so I can go out in stronger winds) or buy some more music software.......so many choices, just got to convince my wife that it's the right thing to do!

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i'm going off to sulk now
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:33 am
owieb

Originally posted by podgypossum
i'm going off to sulk now
Why is that?

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:39 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
Sounds good. Just watch out for the funky chickens in Thailand! :scared:
Wilco! Supposed to be OK unless you're actually handling live/ dead chickens.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:53 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Phew!!!

Congratulations!!!!

So decided yet????