Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

upgrading windows me to xp pro

upgrading windows me to xp pro

Old May 11th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default upgrading windows me to xp pro

hi guys, could do with some technical help please.

I am currently running windows me, a friend has given me a copy of windows xp professional which includes service pack 1 and the required product key.

Is there anything I should know before I begin or attempt to upgrade. I had concerns that as soon as I log onto microsoft they might recognise that this is not exactly a legitimate copy but I have been assured there will be no problems with this copy as it has service pack 1 on it which allows upgrades.

anybody know what Im talking about cos a computer whizz I am not

after the upgrade will all my files be there or is everything wiped off, dont really want to have to back up everything.

thanks in advance, Andy
Old May 11th 2004, 8:29 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: upgrading windows me to xp pro

Andy, assuming that you have a legit copy of XP () then you shouldn't have tooooo many headaches with the upgrade. Yes it will keep your files intact and if all goes well, most of your programs will still work. However, make sure you uninstall anti-virus, or things like Norton Systemworks before you start.
At the beginning, the setup program will tell you if any applications or devices are not compatible, giving you a change to abort and look for updates on the web before it goes any further.
Depending on the origins of the setup CD, you might have to activate it on the net and this is where you could have problems with MS. If you have an OEM CD, usually you don't need to activate but if it's a consumer copy ........
Oh yes, another good tip. If you use Microsoft Office, uninstall that before the upgrade too. I've had grief with that one upgrading from 9x to XP.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

cheers wmoore, not sure exactly what type of cd I've got as its a copy but i have got the 25 digit product key number. was told that as it includes service pack 1 I wont have any problems on MS site and will be able to upgrade unlike earlier copies. just summing up the courage to put the disc in.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:41 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andy thomas
cheers wmoore, not sure exactly what type of cd I've got as its a copy but i have got the 25 digit product key number. was told that as it includes service pack 1 I wont have any problems on MS site and will be able to upgrade unlike earlier copies. just summing up the courage to put the disc in.
Not sure how true this is to be honest but all you can do is try. What's the worst that could happen? You'd have to wipe your PC and start again
You'll have no problem so long as it doesn't need activating and I guess you won't know that until you've done it. It's not like MS track your PC for unlicenced software (he says looking over shoulder ).
If you get stuck and have some other access to this forum, PM me and I'll try to help.
And don't forget to go and download the security patches from Windows Update as soon as you are up and running.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by wmoore
Not sure how true this is to be honest but all you can do is try. What's the worst that could happen? You'd have to wipe your PC and start again
You'll have no problem so long as it doesn't need activating and I guess you won't know that until you've done it. It's not like MS track your PC for unlicenced software (he says looking over shoulder ).
If you get stuck and have some other access to this forum, PM me and I'll try to help.
And don't forget to go and download the security patches from Windows Update as soon as you are up and running.

thanks again matey
Old May 11th 2004, 9:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My experiences of upgrades is a clean install is preferable. I would work out a backup strategy before you upgrade and save everything you need.
Old May 11th 2004, 9:04 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

XP pro edition does not need web activation. Only the home edition does that.
Old May 11th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks bondi and pompeywill, or should that be pompeyhave (stayed up)

just been reading this:-

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._9xupgrade.asp

a bit long winded but what do u think.

Andy
Old May 11th 2004, 9:11 pm
What's happening dudes?

D'oh! And you would think I would have known that.
thanks bondi and pompeywill, or should that be pompeyhave (stayed up)

just been reading this:-

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._9xupgrade.asp

a bit long winded but what do u think.

Andy
Looks reasonable to me.
Old May 11th 2004, 9:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pompeywill
XP Pro OEM does need web activiation. I am using it as I type.
Old May 11th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

D'oh! And you would think I would have known that.

Looks reasonable to me.
how long does the process take or should I do it tomorrow when Ive got all day
Old May 11th 2004, 9:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

how long does the process take or should I do it tomorrow when Ive got all day
Depends on the spec of your PC. Might be 30 mins, might be 90!!
Old May 11th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Depends on the spec of your PC. Might be 30 mins, might be 90!!
amd athlon 1300 processor and 512 mb ram and droopy eyes
Old May 11th 2004, 9:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

amd athlon 1300 processor and 512 mb ram and droopy eyes
Should be reasonable then. Took me quite a while on a Celeron 600 with 192Mb
Old May 11th 2004, 10:14 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by pompeywill

It's XP Pro "corporate" edition that doesn't need web activasion

jib

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.