Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Upfront fees for assessment for job

Upfront fees for assessment for job

Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:29 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upfront fees for assessment for job

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, either as an applicant or from working in the recruitment industry, with having an assessment with an employment agency as part of the selection process for a position and having ot pay for it yourself. The reason I am asking is that I have to have an assessment done, which apparently takes about an hour. The catch is that it will cost me approximately $185 upfront to have it done, with a refund only if I advance to the next stage of the selection process. I have never heard of this being done before, and it sounds like abit of a rip-off, as I thought being part of the process all you had to do was turn up.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:43 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upfront fees for assessment for job

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I was wondering if anyone had any experience, either as an applicant or from working in the recruitment industry, with having an assessment with an employment agency as part of the selection process for a position and having ot pay for it yourself. The reason I am asking is that I have to have an assessment done, which apparently takes about an hour. The catch is that it will cost me approximately $185 upfront to have it done, with a refund only if I advance to the next stage of the selection process. I have never heard of this being done before, and it sounds like abit of a rip-off, as I thought being part of the process all you had to do was turn up.
With skill shortages being touted about *cough* and low unemployment *double cough* I think they've got a nerve asking you to pay to do them a favour by applying for a job.

How much do you need this job? There are others out there that you don't have to "pay for". It's incredulous that you should pay for / subsidise the recruitment services of a company / the recruitment industry.

If I was you I'd tell them to shove it

You deserve a better deal.

Whatever next
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:26 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

This used to be a practice in Dubai. Agencies would charge a registration fee or a assessment fee - both totally illegal.

Employment agencies usually do an assessment of your skills when registering with them. If an employer requires specific evaluation it is usually done at the potenial employers office followed by an interview after the assessment.

Tell them to shove it. This is an unscrupulous practice unless of course they are going to provide you with a certificate to state that you have been assessed for xxxxx and have passed at xxxx level. You could also ask for the qualification of the assessor to administer a test.

Companies some times request psychometric assessment but the people conducting the analysis are not psycologists therefore not qualified to conduct any assessment. That however is another ball game.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:59 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
This used to be a practice in Dubai. Agencies would charge a registration fee or a assessment fee - both totally illegal.

Employment agencies usually do an assessment of your skills when registering with them. If an employer requires specific evaluation it is usually done at the potenial employers office followed by an interview after the assessment.

Tell them to shove it. This is an unscrupulous practice unless of course they are going to provide you with a certificate to state that you have been assessed for xxxxx and have passed at xxxx level. You could also ask for the qualification of the assessor to administer a test.

Companies some times request psychometric assessment but the people conducting the analysis are not psycologists therefore not qualified to conduct any assessment. That however is another ball game.
This test is for part of the selection process for a positon within QFRS in Qld, not just to register with the recruitment agency. Odd you should mention the psych test, as one of those have to be done too.

Last edited by The Bloke; Sep 7th 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
With skill shortages being touted about *cough* and low unemployment *double cough* I think they've got a nerve asking you to pay to do them a favour by applying for a job.

How much do you need this job? There are others out there that you don't have to "pay for". It's incredulous that you should pay for / subsidise the recruitment services of a company / the recruitment industry.

If I was you I'd tell them to shove it

You deserve a better deal.

Whatever next
BTW, the $185 is for the initial one only. If any re-tests are required, it costs a further $185, and so on. The OH and someothers went there to do one a couple of years ago for the same department and the Qld Government paid.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:18 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the $185 is for the initial one only. If any re-tests are required, it costs a further $185, and so on. The OH and someothers went there to do one a couple of years ago for the same department and the Qld Government paid.
Exactly. They are taking the Michael. I'd give them a wide berth if I was you. If they want your services the recruitment agency will cover the cost of the selection process themselves [it's normally recouperated via the company anyway].

Personally if a recruitment agency was extracting money from me at this early stage, I'd not trust them so wouldn't want to work with them or whoever they were recruiting for. You don't deserve to be ripped off simply for looking for a job

Have you thought of asking them if the money is for the recruitment agency or Qld government i.e does Qld goverment know you are being asked to cover your assessment fees?

At the very least tell them you're not happy paying for looking for a job:curse:

Good luck
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:37 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Personally I would ring the department and ask if it is their normal practice to have job applicants pay the agency for all the assessments.

This agency is taking everyone for a ride. They are being paid by the company and you should not have any costs. Infact the normal process is for companies to reinburse applicants for any out of pocket costs i.e. travel expenses etc.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Exactly. They are taking the Michael. I'd give them a wide berth if I was you. If they want your services the recruitment agency will cover the cost of the selection process themselves [it's normally recouperated via the company anyway].

Personally if a recruitment agency was extracting money from me at this early stage, I'd not trust them so wouldn't want to work with them or whoever they were recruiting for. You don't deserve to be ripped off simply for looking for a job

Have you thought of asking them if the money is for the recruitment agency or Qld government i.e does Qld goverment know you are being asked to cover your assessment fees?

At the very least tell them you're not happy paying for looking for a job:curse:

Good luck

Qld Fire & Rescue (Fire Communications) is the advertiser for the position. The money goes to the agency as apparently QFRS doesn't want to pay as part of their recruiting guidelines. Apart from QAS (Communications) who apparently have the same guidelines for Communication Officers as well, and the same assessing agency, I've never heard of this being done for a Gov't job before.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Personally I would ring the department and ask if it is their normal practice to have job applicants pay the agency for all the assessments.

This agency is taking everyone for a ride. They are being paid by the company and you should not have any costs. Infact the normal process is for companies to reinburse applicants for any out of pocket costs i.e. travel expenses etc.

It's a Qld gov't division we're talking about Ray. Anything to save a buck. Anyway, everything is now on hold because Hallis won't accept me for assessment, as they say all assessments are now complete, even though I have been apporoved by QFRS to be a late applicant.

Last edited by The Bloke; Sep 9th 2008 at 9:12 pm.