Reload this Page >

Updating your CV for Oz

Updating your CV for Oz

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

bloodfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Updating your CV for Oz

Good morning,

Can anyone tell me what the major differences may be between English CV's and Australian CV's.
I am updating mine to make it more Oz friendly.
Does anyone know of any links which may help me with this.

Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updating your CV for Oz

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Good morning,

Can anyone tell me what the major differences may be between English CV's and Australian CV's.

Thank you.
I've found my UK-style CV to be fine. Seek is one of the big online job sites over here; it may be worth checking out their guide at http://www.seek.com.au/career-resour...ume-guide.ascx

Cheers,

Nick
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning,

Thank you.
There are some top tips in
this thread on Australian resumes.

Hope this helps;

--paj
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I contacted a few agencies, 2 of them got back and said my UK CV was great (IT industry)
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning,

Thank you.
A CV is a CV no matter where you are. They sould be the same on any country - 2 to 3 pages max.

CVs are a waste of time anyway. I see loads every month and don't bother reading most as they are usually a load of bollocks.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
CVs are a waste of time anyway. I see loads every month and don't bother reading most as they are usually a load of bollocks.
CV's are a waste of time? Ok, playing devils advocate, if they are a waste of time....how else do you present yourself for vacant positions or advertise yourself to targetted companies?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

bloodfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answers
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
CV's are a waste of time? Ok, playing devils advocate, if they are a waste of time....how else do you present yourself for vacant positions or advertise yourself to targetted companies?
Exactly! Employers who regard CVs as a waste of time are decidedly amateur in their approach to recruitment or are so desperate to take people on they do not care about the quality of their staff.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Exactly! Employers who regard CVs as a waste of time are decidedly amateur in their approach to recruitment or are so desperate to take people on they do not care about the quality of their staff.
I will learn more about a candidate in 5 minutes of conversation than I will in 5 pages of CV nonsense. I usually know within 30 seconds if a person is suitable.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I will learn more about a candidate in 5 minutes of conversation than I will in 5 pages of CV nonsense. I usually know within 30 seconds if a person is suitable.

I have to say, I was the same when I used to recruit people. They could have the most impressive CV in the world, but it didn't mean they were suitable for the job.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have to say, I was the same when I used to recruit people. They could have the most impressive CV in the world, but it didn't mean they were suitable for the job.
You should see some of the muppets that I've had to work with. Totally useless but if you read their CV, it makes them sound like Thomas Faraday.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:45 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

We all make evaluative judgements within the first 30 seconds of meeting someone. We subconciously say, "yes I like this person," or "no, I don't like this person", then spend the rest of the time reinforing that initial judgement. This scenario is not just limited to the recruitment process.

I am going to stick my neck out here and make an educated evaluation. Those organisations that regard CVs as a waste of time will usually have a very unsophisticated recruitment process, and it is doubtful if they even have a resourcing strategy. Such organisations will have difficulty recruiting, retaining and motivating decent people. Accordingly they attrat no sympathy when they bleat: "we can't recruit the right staff".

There are no problems - only solutions and it is a case of tweaking the correct solution.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
We all make evaluative judgements within the first 30 seconds of meeting someone. We subconciously say, "yes I like this person," or "no, I don't like this person", then spend the rest of the time reinforing that initial judgement. This scenario is not just limited to the recruitment process.

I am going to stick my neck out here and make an educated evaluation. Those organisations that regard CVs as a waste of time will usually have a very unsophisticated recruitment process, and it is doubtful if they even have a resourcing strategy. Such organisations will have difficulty recruiting, retaining and motivating decent people. Accordingly they attrat no sympathy when they bleat: "we can't recruit the right staff".

There are no problems - only solutions and it is a case of tweaking the correct solution.
Well said Sir! I looked at the following article and have since updated my CV:

http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/Jobs_and_...detail-102.htm

The Australian resume style suits me better as my CV already went on to four pages - which is kind of inevitable when you've worked in IT for several years.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dazster
Well said Sir! I looked at the following article and have since updated my CV:

http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/Jobs_and_...detail-102.htm

The Australian resume style suits me better as my CV already went on to four pages - which is kind of inevitable when you've worked in IT for several years.
How did you spread out, 'Have you tried turning it off for a couple of minutes', to four pages?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
How did you spread out, 'Have you tried turning it off for a couple of minutes', to four pages?
I said I work in IT - not Sky customer services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.