Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Updating the old CV.....

Updating the old CV.....

Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Updating the old CV.....

Has anyone got any good tips on how to prepare my CV/resume for the Australian job market.

I have heard that aussies expect CV's to be a lot more detailed than the UK. What sort of info do I need to include?

I am an Accountant and always keen to impress!!

P.S. Happy 2006 to all....
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:02 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Updating the old CV.....

Originally Posted by LouiseG
Has anyone got any good tips on how to prepare my CV/resume for the Australian job market.

I have heard that aussies expect CV's to be a lot more detailed than the UK. What sort of info do I need to include?

You may find the following website some help - www.acpeople.com.au

Good luck

Binbird
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseG

If you go to www.pomsinperth.com and go into their forums, send an email to the editor 'Nigel' and he can organise an Aussie Style resume.

My hubby had one done for when/if we get there. I cant remember what we paid, but it was pretty impressive.

Might be worth a go.

Sam
Old Dec 31st 2005, 12:53 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have read a lot of stuff about needing a very different CV (resume) out here but found it not to be true, in my case at least. I did have some help putting together my UK one before I came out.

Generally: try and open with a blurb about what sort of person you are (hype it up). Something like "Joe Bloggs is a very experienced worker who has a history of success in...". Really sell yourself to grab their attention.

Generally: when you mention each job don't focus on what your duties were so much but list as many achievements as you can. Why should they see you rather than anyone else?

Specific to Aus: CV's are preferred short in the UK but they don't mind pages of it over here. So don't worry if you get into 4 or 5 pages.

Specific to Aus: They are very thorough about taking up references out here. If possible list contact details for referees (Graham Poll? ) or at least state references are available on request.

Specific to Aus: Employers are naturally sceptical about Poms fresh off the plane. So if you can get any Aussies firms or people as job / character references it will help. They don't like working late to call the UK!
Old Dec 31st 2005, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Updating the old CV.....

Cheers guys. I'll get straight on it.......

x