British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Update from Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/update-sydney-242872/)

bubcay Jul 18th 2004 12:12 pm

Update from Sydney

Hi everybody,

I have finally found some time to sit and connect to britishexpats.com after absolutely frantic three weeks since we arrived to Sydney (29.06.2004). We came over with British Airways and the in flight service was fine, but I have to complain about the leg space – it is just not enough. I understand their need to make more money on us (poor economy class passengers), but if you are taller than Danny De Vito – you are in trouble. I think that two words summarize the journey just fine – too long. Since we were flying with two kids (3 and 7) you can imagine our joy having to chase them around the airplane when everybody else is asleep. Pure fun. On arrival, we were met by our friend who took us to her aunt’s place where we stayed for the following 6 days. The family that we stayed with was so kind to us, and they extended maximum hospitality and friendliness. We can not thank them enough for their hospitality. We found a unit to rent through some friends of theirs, so we moved in “our own place� on 07 June. It is a one bedroom unit in North Ryde, and we are so happy here (for the time being). We purchased a lot of stuff from the previous tenant who moved out as we were moving in. Got a great deal on TV, microwave, VCR, computer, ets (everything in excellent condition). After sorting out all details with Centerlink, Medicare, St. George Bank, ATO, etc, we found some time to visit The Opera House, Darling Harbour, and to take the boat ride of our lives – Circular Quay to Manly. Manly is just perfect. The beach is stunning, and out of all the excitement we did not notice that our kids walked into the sea. Everyone was wet but we did not mind at all, it was so great. The only downside so far is that I did not find a job yet, nor I have an idea where to get one. To be honest, we did not even try to find it. Better wake up and start searching. Tomorrow we are going to try to enroll our son to school. The school holiday is ending on Tuesday, so this is a proper time to do it. The only problem is that he does not speak English well enough (we are from Bosnia and Herzegovina), but we were told that it is not an issue here, because of all the migrants coming from all over the world. They have something called ESL (English as a second language), and we hope it will work with our boy. That is it for now. So far so good. I hope to find some job soon, so we can continue with our daily routine.

Best regards to you all.

Bubcay.

Sam&Andy Jul 18th 2004 2:39 pm

Hi

Great to hear you are settling in OK...

Cheers & Best Wishes

Sam & Andy

threlly Jul 18th 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Update from Sydney

Hi,
Glad to hear things are going well. I am hoping to move to Manly next year, lived there in 98 and loved it, i wonder if its changed much since then though? Hope all continues to go well.

Originally posted by bubcay
Hi everybody,

I have finally found some time to sit and connect to britishexpats.com after absolutely frantic three weeks since we arrived to Sydney (29.06.2004). We came over with British Airways and the in flight service was fine, but I have to complain about the leg space – it is just not enough. I understand their need to make more money on us (poor economy class passengers), but if you are taller than Danny De Vito – you are in trouble. I think that two words summarize the journey just fine – too long. Since we were flying with two kids (3 and 7) you can imagine our joy having to chase them around the airplane when everybody else is asleep. Pure fun. On arrival, we were met by our friend who took us to her aunt’s place where we stayed for the following 6 days. The family that we stayed with was so kind to us, and they extended maximum hospitality and friendliness. We can not thank them enough for their hospitality. We found a unit to rent through some friends of theirs, so we moved in “our own place� on 07 June. It is a one bedroom unit in North Ryde, and we are so happy here (for the time being). We purchased a lot of stuff from the previous tenant who moved out as we were moving in. Got a great deal on TV, microwave, VCR, computer, ets (everything in excellent condition). After sorting out all details with Centerlink, Medicare, St. George Bank, ATO, etc, we found some time to visit The Opera House, Darling Harbour, and to take the boat ride of our lives – Circular Quay to Manly. Manly is just perfect. The beach is stunning, and out of all the excitement we did not notice that our kids walked into the sea. Everyone was wet but we did not mind at all, it was so great. The only downside so far is that I did not find a job yet, nor I have an idea where to get one. To be honest, we did not even try to find it. Better wake up and start searching. Tomorrow we are going to try to enroll our son to school. The school holiday is ending on Tuesday, so this is a proper time to do it. The only problem is that he does not speak English well enough (we are from Bosnia and Herzegovina), but we were told that it is not an issue here, because of all the migrants coming from all over the world. They have something called ESL (English as a second language), and we hope it will work with our boy. That is it for now. So far so good. I hope to find some job soon, so we can continue with our daily routine.

Best regards to you all.

Bubcay.

MikeStanton Jul 18th 2004 2:56 pm

Re: Update from Sydney

Originally posted by threlly
Hi,
Glad to hear things are going well. I am hoping to move to Manly next year, lived there in 98 and loved it, i wonder if its changed much since then though?
I used to live in Fairlight - the suburb next to Manly - I left in March '04.

If you liked Manly in '98, you're in for a pleasant surprise - they've improved it : especially the wharf. Also, where the council car park used to be - opposite the Far West children's home - has now been replaced by some stylish shops and eating areas.

Now, if only they did something about the '70s-looking Corso :) ....