Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update on the 'Shippers from Hell'

Update on the 'Shippers from Hell'

Old May 10th 2006, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all
Angry Update on the 'Shippers from Hell'

After 14 weeks, £2200, AU$800 of 'extras' including the steam cleaning of the outside of the container and loads of stress we finally received our stuff from Bishops Move and as I feared the list of damage is already long.

Almost every piece of furniture has been wrecked, dented or chipped, a number of items have been completely destroyed because of poor packing, someone thought it a good idea to wrap a glass item in paper only and not box it ! I found a heavy toolbox packed on top of china and wooden items - surprise, surprise they are all damaged.

Also everything smells or shows signs of damp - would appreciate someone letting me know if this is normal??

We are insured (though only for £3000 - didn't expect quite so much damage) but it doesn't help as some of the items are irreplaceable

Needless to say I wouldn't recommend them !!

Apart from that I am really enjoying Australia and am pleased the move is at last over.

Last edited by Dianne; May 10th 2006 at 1:42 am.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:18 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on the 'Shippers from Hell'

Originally Posted by Dianne
After 14 weeks, £2200, AU$800 of 'extras' including the steam cleaning of the outside of the container and loads of stress we finally received our stuff from Bishops Move and as I feared the list of damage is already long.

Almost every piece of furniture has been wrecked, dented or chipped, a number of items have been completely destroyed because of poor packing, someone thought it a good idea to wrap a glass item in paper only and not box it ! I found a heavy toolbox packed on top of china and wooden items - surprise, surprise they are all damaged.

Also everything smells or shows signs of damp - would appreciate someone letting me know if this is normal??

We are insured but it doesn't help as some of the items are irreplaceable

Apart from that I am really enjoying Australia and am pleased the move is at last over.
Oh Dianne, I'm really sorry. Your stuff definitely shouldn't smell damp. Like you say, the insurance doesn't pay for any of the anguish and upset. We only had a few items damaged and that was upsetting enough.

You've paid somebody to transport your things and you expect them to do that with due care. They won't do anything to help you now as they've got their money but it may be worth writing them a detailed letter with all your grievances, letting them know you're posting on here and that they will lose business as a result.

It must still be nice to have some of your familiar stuff around you now, and you can get on with enjoying your new life.

Jane
Old May 10th 2006, 1:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Good you have finally got your container, bad that the troubles are continuing.

Nothing we had smelt of damp. We were careful that anything washed had dried several days defore packing, table not waxed just before packing etc to ensure no dampness packed. Were any of the items packed in plastic - making them sweat. The extreme high temps the container would go through would make the situation worse. I would suspect if the container was leaking that things would be wet, especially if container cleaned with good inside.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Shippers may have cut costs and avoided using "humidity sponges". Hopefully you're fully insured and can look for the silver lining of being able to go off and get some new goods to go with the new life in Oz.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Sorry you're still having such a horrible time with your shipping . I'm starting to worry about ours too (it should be delivered this week or next), but I hope you don't find any more damages. It doesn't matter if you're insured, it's the hassle you have to go through with insurance claims and the time you have to spend replacing items .
Best of luck with the rest of it.
Tracey
Old May 10th 2006, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Oh Dianne, I'm really sorry. Your stuff definitely shouldn't smell damp. Like you say, the insurance doesn't pay for any of the anguish and upset. We only had a few items damaged and that was upsetting enough.

You've paid somebody to transport your things and you expect them to do that with due care. They won't do anything to help you now as they've got their money but it may be worth writing them a detailed letter with all your grievances, letting them know you're posting on here and that they will lose business as a result.

It must still be nice to have some of your familiar stuff around you now, and you can get on with enjoying your new life.

Jane
Thanks for the response, it was nice waking up this morning and seeing my stuff, felt like I was in my home not just a rental, if you know what I mean.

I'm taking our complaints to the Removals Ombudsman but the Geelong Advertiser have been in touch as they would like to do an article on our experience. Every little bit will hit them where it hurts
Old May 10th 2006, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Sorry you're still having such a horrible time with your shipping . I'm starting to worry about ours too (it should be delivered this week or next), but I hope you don't find any more damages. It doesn't matter if you're insured, it's the hassle you have to go through with insurance claims and the time you have to spend replacing items .
Best of luck with the rest of it.
Tracey
I'm sure yours will be fine -
Old May 10th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

We are insured but it doesn't help as some of the items are irreplaceable

DID YOU SAY BISHOPS MOVE !!!! :scared:

We had trouble too - moving from Creswell Notts - Canberra - i will read the thread then post my problems
Old May 10th 2006, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by walaj
Good you have finally got your container, bad that the troubles are continuing.

Nothing we had smelt of damp. We were careful that anything washed had dried several days defore packing, table not waxed just before packing etc to ensure no dampness packed. Were any of the items packed in plastic - making them sweat. The extreme high temps the container would go through would make the situation worse. I would suspect if the container was leaking that things would be wet, especially if container cleaned with good inside.
The packing they used appears to have a plastic exterior, everything was dry when it went in but some items appear to have damp/wet patches. It was also a shared container so I don't know what has been packed with my stuff.

Never mind - I'll be off to buy a tumble drier today in an attempt to get it sorted - Victoria weather not good for washing!
Old May 10th 2006, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sasbear
DID YOU SAY BISHOPS MOVE !!!! :scared:

We had trouble too - moving from Creswell Notts - Canberra - i will read the thread then post my problems
Yep Bishops Move, Newcastle branch - I have seen other complaints with this company so it doesn't appear to be branch related. I can send you the email address for the ombudsman if you need it.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear this we had similar problems with some of our stuff, but not all.

It cost us $2300 to fix two settees which was paid in full, but we also claimed for a stereo tuner which we insured at the cost of 3% of it's value, but they only gave us 40% of said value due to depreciation.

Good luck with it all.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

OK Ours took 14 weeks too - we pushed and phoned up - kept saying it had missed shipping date etc... We actually believed that ours was left in a small removal van instead and that is why the delay!

When they came to collect everything they had packed - the container didn't turn up - it was sat in traffic on the M1 on a Friday afternoon - understandable really. So they transited it via a removal van.

We had several things broken - antique cabinet, tumble dryer, microwave and some other electrical stuff - we also made a claim on the insurance - which incidentally was settled quickly. But it was the inconvenience of it all.

Some of our stuff was damp too - that was the main fault with the electrical stuff - I think some of it must have been stored at one end of the container that had a leak!

Anyhow - bishops Move actually subcontract - so it is worth checking out this before organising your move!
Old May 10th 2006, 1:55 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance is there to cover your goods - you still have other recourse.

You could sue them.

- containerised stuff should not arrive damp. It is negligence, they either did not seal the container properly OR they allowed a container to be used that leaked. This is not acceptable or normal practice.

- stacking heavy items on top of breakables as you describe would constitute incompetence, any competent person would recognise the risk and they failed a duty of care to you to take reasonable care of your belongings.

But....
Are you sure - that this was in the container - because stuff when it arrives gets unpacked from container, put in a warehouse etc, inspected by customs, back onto a lorry, and then delivered to you. So many opportunities for people to screw up (unless you actually unpacked it from the back of the container but i doubt it ) so some other numbnut probably put the tools on top of the china.

Suing them can be easy - small claims court in UK for less than 1000GBP claim is easy peasy.

And what the hell is this steam cleaning hte outside of the container business man . jeez.

Last edited by spalen; May 10th 2006 at 1:59 am.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spalen
Insurance is there to cover your goods - you still have other recourse.

You could sue them.

- containerised stuff should not arrive damp. It is negligence, they either did not seal the container properly OR they allowed a container to be used that leaked. This is not acceptable or normal practice.

- stacking heavy items on top of breakables as you describe would constitute incompetence, any competent person would recognise the risk and they failed a duty of care to you to take reasonable care of your belongings.

But....
Are you sure - that this was in the container - because stuff when it arrives gets unpacked from container, put in a warehouse etc, inspected by customs, back onto a lorry, and then delivered to you. So many opportunities for people to screw up (unless you actually unpacked it from the back of the container but i doubt it ) so some other numbnut probably put the tools on top of the china.

Suing them can be easy - small claims court in UK for less than 1000GBP claim is easy peasy.

And what the hell is this steam cleaning hte outside of the container business man . jeez.
Thanks for the comments re damp, I thought my stuff shouldn't smell but needed to be sure.

Tools definately packed by them as they were in a sealed box that hadn't been opened by customs, I think the removal guy was hung over or brain dead !! And you should have seen how squashed the boxes marked Fragile got (but that could have been customs)

Am considering suing if get no joy from ombudsman