British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Update on PR Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/update-pr-visa-108885/)

kiran rowe Jun 15th 2002 4:58 pm

Update on PR Visa

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have now received my passport from the AHC in London with the Provisional Resident Visa inside, allowing me to travel and remain in Australia until my Permanent Visa application is approved. I am not entitled to the permanent visa for another 2 years because my husband Pete and I have only been married three years and have no children. However, that is about to change because I have just found out I am pregnant (five weeks gone) which was not part of our plans at this stage, but I'm ecstatic nonetheless. The original plan was for me to visit Pete in Manly for a couple of weeks next month (he's out there on a 3-month work contract until August) for a holiday before we emigrate later this year. However, I am worried about travelling such a long distance (on my own)as I have been suffering a lot of morning sickness, tiredness, aches and pains. I can't afford to take any risks at my age, 37, and this will be my first child. I would welcome any advice from women/doctors.

col Jun 15th 2002 5:43 pm

Re: Update on PR Visa

No advice for you Kiran but congrats on your wonderful news.
Take it easy MUM!!!!!

newstartnz Jun 16th 2002 7:29 am

Excellent news Kiran. Sorry, I am just a man and not a doctor but I am very well researched in baby matters. You should in any case only travel on medical advice. But most reckon that the most dangerous time when you might lose the unborn baby is the first 3 months but I would extend that to the first 18 weeks, when you should take it very easy. Most also say that travelling after 7 months term is risky, too. So that would give you a travel 'window' of 19 weeks-28 weeks if that suits your plans.

All the best

lizzie Jun 16th 2002 8:37 am

Kiran

Congratulations - what an exciting time for you - a new life and a new start in Oz.

I suggest you talk your worries over with your midwife or doctor - as a pregnant woman you are more susceptible to DVT on long haul flights - my pregnant friend was advised to take an asprin before the flight - this surprised me as usually you avoid things like that when pregnant - so best thing is to talk to a professional. The most important thing is to enjoy this time and try not to worry about things (easier said than done I know as a Mother of 3).

All the best,

Lizzie

kango_jack Jun 16th 2002 10:39 am

Kiran
Congratulations on the news!
Just to let you know I flew to New York for a long weekend when I was 5/6 months pregnant with no problems. Like they recommend to everyone I just made sure I got up and walked around a lot (didn't really have a lot of choice as kept needing to go for a wee as you will soon find out).
Not sure how you will feel with regards to the morning sickness as I was lucky enough not to suffer. It is probably advisable to wait until after 3 months, not only because it is safer but because you should be feeling much better.
Like the others said speak to your midwife, mine was really helpful.
Best Wishes
Annie

Hills Jun 17th 2002 4:14 pm

kiran rowe wrote:

> <snip>

> The original plan was for me to visit Pete in Manly for a couple of weeks next
    > month (he's out there on a 3-month work contract until August) for a holiday before
    > we emigrate later this year. However, I am worried about travelling such a long
    > distance (on my own)as I have been suffering a lot of morning sickness, tiredness,
    > aches and pains. I can't afford to take any risks at my age, 37, and this will be
    > my first child. I would welcome any advice from women/doctors.
    >

I'm not a doctor, but can offer a few things to think about- The 'holiday' trip, if
you are 9ish weeks pregnant and suffering morning sickness could be a nightmare, and
not much of a holiday! AFAIK, the 'average' time for feeling better is after 12
weeks. But nobody is 'average', and you could either book your ticket and then feel
absolutely miserable by the time the travel date comes round, or decide to cancel the
trip, and have the morning sickness disappear. Sod's law applies
    :)

I travelled Australia-UK for a holiday, between 3-4 months pregnant, and had a
wonderful time, but then, I wasn't sick....

As to time frames for migrating - double check with the airlines, but from memory,
most won't accept passenger who are more than 34 weeks pregnant for travel.
Singapore also had a rule that they wouldn't allow women more than 6mths pregnant to
even transit the country!!!! (Just in case you gave birth to a illegal Singaporean
at the airport).

You'll need to plan your migration date to be either before 34 weeks, or after the
birth. As a mother of 3, I would suggest moving before the 34 weeks, which, all going
well, would allow 6 weeks to settle in before another large upheaval in your life.
(Organise for doctors records to come with you, and get your partner to book you into
a hospital in Australia *now*). Trying to move house/country with a small baby, no
sleep, extra stuff and baggage associated, would be more stressful IMO, than moving
while pregnant.

Travelling pregnant can be cumbersome, and you might like to look at a business class
seat, but it's sure as hell less cumbersome than travelling with car seats, prams,
nappies, bottles, seventeen changes of clothes, and a baby who insists on waking for
a feed just when you manage to doze off!!!!

LJ, Brisbane

Jaj Jun 17th 2002 4:14 pm

1. The timing of when you travel is up to you, except that generally, preganant
women can't fly once they are 6 months pregnant. I guess you should discuss any
medical concerns with your doctor.

2. If the baby is born in Australia, he/she will be an Australian citizen
automatically. Provided you hold British citizenship yourself by birth or
naturalisation in the UK, the child will also have British citizenship (by
descent) automatically.

3. If the baby is born in the UK, British citizenship by birth will be automatic
(provided you are British citizen or permanent resident yourself). You would need
to register the child as an Australian citizen by descent at the AHC in London.

4. Once the baby arrives, you will be considered to have a 'long term'
relationship. However, as this criteria is applied at the time of application,
the full 2 year period applies (ie it is not shortened just because
circumstances change after application). What you could do, however, is that
after arriving in Australia (after the baby has arrived) is lodge an onshore
spouse visa application and as this time you will meet the criteria, you should
get a PR visa. The downside is that you would have to pay A$1745 (after 1 July
2002) and possible redo medicals etc,

Jeremy

>On 15 Jun 2002 21:20:08 GMT, kiran rowe <[email protected]> wrote: Hi all,
    >
    >Just to let you know I have now received my passport from the AHC in London with the
    >Provisional Resident Visa inside, allowing me to travel and remain in Australia
    >until my Permanent Visa application is approved. I am not entitled to the permanent
    >visa for another 2 years because my husband Pete and I have only been married three
    >years and have no children. However, that is about to change because I have just
    >found out I am pregnant (five weeks gone) which was not part of our plans at this
    >stage, but I'm ecstatic nonetheless. The original plan was for me to visit Pete in
    >Manly for a couple of weeks next month (he's out there on a 3-month work contract
    >until August) for a holiday before we emigrate later this year. However, I am
    >worried about travelling such a long distance (on my own)as I have been suffering a
    >lot of morning sickness, tiredness, aches and pains. I can't afford to take any
    >risks at my age, 37, and this will be my first child. I would welcome any advice
    >from women/doctors.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >kiran
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com