Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update for Plumbers

Update for Plumbers

Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Update for Plumbers

Hi - I remember desperately looking for info re plumbers during application process so I am going to share some of the things we have found during OH's quest to start working as a Plumber here in WA.

Contract work pays better but less stable - can get around $40-$50 an hour - but no work means no pay.

A good employed rate appears to be around the $28-$30 rate - this is basic pay at new-build/commercial companies but is not productivity based.

Hours generally are around 40 hrs a week, generally starting 6.00am or 6.30am with an early afternoon finish 2.30pm or 3.00pm.

They dont have pre-soldered fittings generally - they make the fittings with pipe and tool that pushes out the edges etc and use oxycetalene for welding (told you not technical).

Licencing - this can take a couple of months, but not as bad as what it used to be.

Fill in application form, take in certified copies of certificates and reference letters (as per TRA) with application fee and annual fee (yes it is an annual cost to re-register). If you PM me I can give you a contact name in the Licencing Board who is generally very helpful to migrant plumbers.

Then wait - they then send you to the Freemantle TAFE for a handskills test - involves questions, welding, pipe bending etc.

The TAFE inform licencing board if passed.

The Licencing Board then send you your very own licence (card) to allow you to plumb! Mind you there is a 6 month time period where you must take and pass a West Australia Familiarisation course for the local water regs (as expected).

There is a shortage of plumbers and most tradies in general - however it is not overpaid work! OH used to make nearly double his current wages in the UK with his productivity bonuses - mind you, he is so much more relaxed, I see more of him, his hands arent knackered anymore etc.

Any questions, please PM me and I will be happy to check things out for you.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update for Plumbers

What an excellent post.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:09 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Downies
Hi - I remember desperately looking for info re plumbers during application process so I am going to share some of the things we have found during OH's quest to start working as a Plumber here in WA.

Contract work pays better but less stable - can get around $40-$50 an hour - but no work means no pay.

A good employed rate appears to be around the $28-$30 rate - this is basic pay at new-build/commercial companies but is not productivity based.

Hours generally are around 40 hrs a week, generally starting 6.00am or 6.30am with an early afternoon finish 2.30pm or 3.00pm.

They dont have pre-soldered fittings generally - they make the fittings with pipe and tool that pushes out the edges etc and use oxycetalene for welding (told you not technical).

Licencing - this can take a couple of months, but not as bad as what it used to be.

Fill in application form, take in certified copies of certificates and reference letters (as per TRA) with application fee and annual fee (yes it is an annual cost to re-register). If you PM me I can give you a contact name in the Licencing Board who is generally very helpful to migrant plumbers.

Then wait - they then send you to the Freemantle TAFE for a handskills test - involves questions, welding, pipe bending etc.

The TAFE inform licencing board if passed.

The Licencing Board then send you your very own licence (card) to allow you to plumb! Mind you there is a 6 month time period where you must take and pass a West Australia Familiarisation course for the local water regs (as expected).

There is a shortage of plumbers and most tradies in general - however it is not overpaid work! OH used to make nearly double his current wages in the UK with his productivity bonuses - mind you, he is so much more relaxed, I see more of him, his hands arent knackered anymore etc.

Any questions, please PM me and I will be happy to check things out for you.
Great!!

Thanks for that!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

Thanks for a great post. It's good to see it doesn't sound so bad! Hopefully it's the same for all the states! Cheers
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's getting extremely difficult in some states as DIMIA are only granting visas to plumbers who bring their own water
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

ba-dom-bom-ching!