Reload this Page >

Update from Perth

Update from Perth

Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:41 am
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update from Perth

Hi Guys

Firstly apologies for the delay in posting since we got here. Part of the reason was problems from this forum when I changed my address, didn't receive my verification for the change in details!

I promised myself that when we got here I would post regularily but am only just starting to feel as though we are settling in properly. Where does the time go?

We arrived in October last year and are absolutely loving it. On arrival we were met by Nigel from Poms in Perth who we were renting with for 4 weeks. It was great to go straight into a house on arrival and not have to worry about it. First few weeks were a bit of a blur, lots of fun but also admin ie. tax file number, medicare etc. The morning we arrived Paul and Jess had ear infections from the pool in Penang (we stopped over for 12 nights enroute). The lady who delivered our car gave us directions to nearest doctor so that was the first thing we did in Oz!

We spent a lot of time the first few weeks driving all over and looking at suburbs. We drove down to Mandurah, across to the hills and back up to the Northern suburbs. Absolutely adored the hills but felt it would be too hot and apparently the flies you get there take chunks out of you! (Yes the flies out here do bite!) Finally decided to settle in Kinross, main reasons were the school for Jess (very good reputation) it's a clean and tidy suburb close to both the beach and Joondalup and you get more for your dollar when buying a house.

Managed to find a rental to move into after the first 4 weeks. This was no mean feat! decent rentals are really hard to find and even harder to get. Much as I am dying to have my own home we are not really in a rush as property prices are definitely drifting downwards and there are loads of properties coming onto the market so unless we fall in love with something we intend to wait awhile.

Jess absolutely adores school. We managed to get her in 6 weeks before the end of last term so she had a chance to make some friends. Before going to school this morning she told me that it feels as if she has always lived here. Paul is working and I am waiting to hear on a couple of part time jobs I applied for. Michael our son is looking at apprenticeships but also likes the idea of joing the Australian Army to get a trade and travel a bit.

One thing I have noticed is that you really do get out more here. Mainly because of the weather of course. We often go down Mulalloo beach with the kids and some other friends we have made out here for a game of cricket, bbq and a play in the waves.
A walk on the beach to watch the sunset is also another favourite of ours and of course there are a lot of get togethers at people's houses.

None of us have been homesick yet but have had the occasional "black day". I think the main reason is that it takes a while to move from the holiday mode into real life. For a while there always seemed to be something else that needed to get sorted. This is obviously lessening the longer we are here.

We all love the pace of life out here, nobody rushes at anything and people are so friendly and helpful. I've lost count of the amount of people you meet that give you their number and say "come found for a barbie" the wierd thing is that they actually mean it! WA apparently stands for wait awhile not western australia.

I wouldn't say everything was perfect but then we weren't expecting it to be. I can honestly say that none of us want to go back to the UK although I am very aware that it is still early days yet. So far so good and we have absolutely no regrets. Phoning the UK is so cheap from here so we keep in regular contact with friends and family. We have a Daybreak card which allows you to phone UK with no connection fee for half a cent a minute between 10pm and 6am and 2.5cents any other time.

Well I think I've gone on for far too long already and have probably sent half of you to sleep. If I can help with any info let me know.

Best of luck to you all

Steph
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Well done for posting positive comments about your story so far!!!

It pretty much mirrors ours !! We are in Mindarie and pretty much feel the same as you do . We have black days obviously but I think you would get them wherever you are!!!

So to all you thinking of coming to Perth there are people here who love it!!

Amanda
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Steph

Nice to hear you're enjoying things.

Know what you mean about the "Wait Awhile" tag but it's only a problem if you try to fight against it.

All the best
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Thought you were in Hillarys - have you moved - Is your house finished yet!!

And Steph, lovely post - glad you are getting on and enjoying life in Perth.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice
Default Re: Update from Perth

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
Hi Guys

Firstly apologies for the delay in posting since we got here. Part of the reason was problems from this forum when I changed my address, didn't receive my verification for the change in details!

I promised myself that when we got here I would post regularily but am only just starting to feel as though we are settling in properly. Where does the time go?

We arrived in October last year and are absolutely loving it. On arrival we were met by Nigel from Poms in Perth who we were renting with for 4 weeks. It was great to go straight into a house on arrival and not have to worry about it. First few weeks were a bit of a blur, lots of fun but also admin ie. tax file number, medicare etc. The morning we arrived Paul and Jess had ear infections from the pool in Penang (we stopped over for 12 nights enroute). The lady who delivered our car gave us directions to nearest doctor so that was the first thing we did in Oz!

We spent a lot of time the first few weeks driving all over and looking at suburbs. We drove down to Mandurah, across to the hills and back up to the Northern suburbs. Absolutely adored the hills but felt it would be too hot and apparently the flies you get there take chunks out of you! (Yes the flies out here do bite!) Finally decided to settle in Kinross, main reasons were the school for Jess (very good reputation) it's a clean and tidy suburb close to both the beach and Joondalup and you get more for your dollar when buying a house.

Managed to find a rental to move into after the first 4 weeks. This was no mean feat! decent rentals are really hard to find and even harder to get. Much as I am dying to have my own home we are not really in a rush as property prices are definitely drifting downwards and there are loads of properties coming onto the market so unless we fall in love with something we intend to wait awhile.

Jess absolutely adores school. We managed to get her in 6 weeks before the end of last term so she had a chance to make some friends. Before going to school this morning she told me that it feels as if she has always lived here. Paul is working and I am waiting to hear on a couple of part time jobs I applied for. Michael our son is looking at apprenticeships but also likes the idea of joing the Australian Army to get a trade and travel a bit.

One thing I have noticed is that you really do get out more here. Mainly because of the weather of course. We often go down Mulalloo beach with the kids and some other friends we have made out here for a game of cricket, bbq and a play in the waves.
A walk on the beach to watch the sunset is also another favourite of ours and of course there are a lot of get togethers at people's houses.

None of us have been homesick yet but have had the occasional "black day". I think the main reason is that it takes a while to move from the holiday mode into real life. For a while there always seemed to be something else that needed to get sorted. This is obviously lessening the longer we are here.

We all love the pace of life out here, nobody rushes at anything and people are so friendly and helpful. I've lost count of the amount of people you meet that give you their number and say "come found for a barbie" the wierd thing is that they actually mean it! WA apparently stands for wait awhile not western australia.

I wouldn't say everything was perfect but then we weren't expecting it to be. I can honestly say that none of us want to go back to the UK although I am very aware that it is still early days yet. So far so good and we have absolutely no regrets. Phoning the UK is so cheap from here so we keep in regular contact with friends and family. We have a Daybreak card which allows you to phone UK with no connection fee for half a cent a minute between 10pm and 6am and 2.5cents any other time.

Well I think I've gone on for far too long already and have probably sent half of you to sleep. If I can help with any info let me know.

Best of luck to you all

Steph
Hi, we move out in October too!! we live in currambine just up the road from you,we have 2 teenage kids and thier not sure about the place and sometime say they wanna go back,hubby is finding it hard to get work,so we are feeling a bit fed up at the moment and wondering if we have done the right thing,
i dont offen reply to letters on here so im hoping ive done it right and you get to read this..lol
sue
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:03 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Sue,
We live in ocean Reef well that's until next week when we leave for Qatar! I do understand about jobs in Perth. It is hard at first to find one but once that happens, and it will, you will settle well and really enjoy the place. What does your husband do for a living? My husband's contract ran out and there was nothing with a decent here so we have rented out the house and are going to try qatar in the Middle East for few years. hope everything works out for you.
Mamp
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:49 am
Finally made it

Default Re: Update from Perth

Originally posted by sue&bob
Hi, we move out in October too!! we live in currambine just up the road from you,we have 2 teenage kids and thier not sure about the place and sometime say they wanna go back,hubby is finding it hard to get work,so we are feeling a bit fed up at the moment and wondering if we have done the right thing,
i dont offen reply to letters on here so im hoping ive done it right and you get to read this..lol
sue
Sue & Bob

Just sent you a pm

Steph
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:51 am
Finally made it

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi Steph

Nice to hear you're enjoying things.

Know what you mean about the "Wait Awhile" tag but it's only a problem if you try to fight against it.

All the best
Never had a problem with going with the flow when it comes to taking things easy!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 6:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the updates guys!
Always useful, interesting, fun to read!

Good luck all of you!

Simone
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Steph
Nice to hear that you are getting on well. I remember when I lodged my bond your posts were of a great help to me.

thanks

debs
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:38 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Update from Perth

Hi Steph,

What a lovely post. It sounds that you have life on a even keel and things are going well. What you say seemed so much like how Jill and I remembered it when we were there last year and so can't wait to be back.

Good luck with the rest of the settling in.

Best wishes

Warren (and Jill)
Perth 2004.....

Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:41 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steph,
lovely to hear your real life experiences of settling into to Perth.

We are moving over in April, so its good to get some current info. Keep it coming if you can please.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally posted by mamp
Dear Sue,
We live in ocean Reef well that's until next week when we leave for Qatar! I do understand about jobs in Perth. It is hard at first to find one but once that happens, and it will, you will settle well and really enjoy the place. What does your husband do for a living? My husband's contract ran out and there was nothing with a decent here so we have rented out the house and are going to try qatar in the Middle East for few years. hope everything works out for you.
Mamp
Hi,
thanks for your reply,my hubby is a plumber by trade, but looking to find a maintenance or handyman job,but there just isnt anything out there,so it looks like he will have to get his plumbing licence and set up on his own,at he moment he is fitting kitchens but that is coming to a end.
I know its a long shot but have you rented out your property because we are looking for a better house to rent,and we love ocean reef.
Good luck with your move.
sue
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue i have sent you a pm
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Steph

We are hoping to come out this year and were wondering if you could give any information on apprenticeships. I have seen these New Aprrenticeships but they say you must have completed a pre-apprenticeship course.
We are a bit worroied as our eldest will be 19 this year and are worried about max ages.

Cheers

Gazza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.