Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update from Perth

Update from Perth

Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:17 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Hello Steph,

Nice to read your post. Also good to hear from someone who's used Poms in Perth. Any comments on their service. You can PM me if you like. I'd really like to know if it's worth it as we're considering it for ?September???
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear of another happy family. We also feel the same as you, it is fantastic here and I cant imagine wanting to go back. Long may it continue!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:18 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done paul and Steph ,

Nice to see your enjoying your self ........I think your doing the right thing with holding off on property , as you said property definitely on the turn and ready for correction , as in uk ( on the news this morning 80% of first time buyer's now locked out of the market).
also renting gives you a feel for the place and make's it easier when time comes to decide buying.

all the best plum

Last edited by plumber; Mar 7th 2004 at 11:34 am.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear its going so well, we really liked Perth too and thought Mandurah and the hills were lovely, but interesting point on the flies, oh boy do they bite!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:56 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, good to hear from you all and will answer queries as follows:

Gazza - there are apprenticeships available and you can apply through the college as well as answer ads in the papers. Word of warning though, our son initially sat a test for a place on an electricians apprenticeship, which he passed. He then had to attend an interview which we thought was just a rubber stamping excercise. At the interview he was informed that there were 50 applicants and only 12 places and that you really needed a car. (he is just learning to drive). There are courses advertised for pre-apprenticeships in the paper. I would suggest you have a look online at the Western Australia employment section. (If you are coming to Perth)

Vicky - I would definitely recommend Poms in Perth. It is such a relief to be met off the plane and taken to a clean and tidy house. If you need a car they can arrange that for you, ours turned up at the door the next morning. If there is anything you need to know they are always on the end of the phone and can point you in the right direction. They do tend to get booked up months in advance though so would recommend you contact them sooner rather than later.

On a more general note, I've just got a job! Nothing too exciting as I am looking to go from full time work in the uk to part time work here. Working in the RAC call centre, 10 mins from home 3 days a week. Going back to work is going to kill me after all this time off though.

It's starting to get a bit nippy over here now. Definite chill in the mornings although the days are still lovely and warm. Duvets will be coming out soon at this rate! I'm curious as to what the autumn/winter is going to bring. We are prepared for cold weather with fleeces and jeans etc. but I saw woolly hats and scarves on sale the other day!

Drove up to Yanchep the other Sunday and had to slam the brakes on when HUGE Roo jumped out of the bush on our right and bounded across the road. Totally surreal!

Well Good luck to you all and give me a shout if you need any more info.

Steph
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone please tell me what this Poms in Perth thing is? I should hopefully be heading there at the end of June and would be interested in anything that may make the transition easier.

Cheers
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:55 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Tonyonthemove
Can anyone please tell me what this Poms in Perth thing is? I should hopefully be heading there at the end of June and would be interested in anything that may make the transition easier.

Cheers

Hi Tony,
Try this.
www.pomsinperth.com

It's a great website and includes a discussion forum like this one. They are a bunch of expats who have created a service to people like us who are heading over to Perth and they try to make the transition a little easier. They can organize rental accommodation (they have something like 14 houses for rent) car hire, help with how to purchase a house, they can even look after the kids for you.

Vicky
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Vicky I'll give them a try. My fiances family live there so we've got some help to get us started, but it's always nice to have a friendly Pom on hand.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Steph.