Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Can anyone tell me why it is so important to have Australian ciizenship?
Our visas have been approved but we are not planning to go until April 07.
I can't see any huge reason to bring everything forward, which would be expensive and inconvenient, when we will have PR anyway.
So far I have found out that once a citizen I will have to vote. Voting does not bother me much, so this is in fact not an incentive for me to become a citizen!
So what reasons ARE there why I should want to get citizenship sooner than 4 years?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I can't see any huge reason to bring everything forward, which would be expensive and inconvenient, when we will have PR anyway.
So far I have found out that once a citizen I will have to vote. Voting does not bother me much, so this is in fact not an incentive for me to become a citizen!
So what reasons ARE there why I should want to get citizenship sooner than 4 years?
Some people would like to work in jobs that require citizenship - defence, federal police, Federal Govt, for example.
Some of us genuinely feel that being citizens would help us to feel we belong to the country, and would help it to feel more like "home".
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

rootsie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some people would like to work in jobs that require citizenship - defence, federal police, Federal Govt, for example.
Some of us genuinely feel that being citizens would help us to feel we belong to the country, and would help it to feel more like "home".
I agree Pollyana. I have just validated my PR visa but unfortunately cannot move over permanently until November next year. I am hoping that the new rules will not extend my wait for citizenship, we shall see, but either way I will apply as soon as possible. Why would you want to live permanently in a country an NOT be a citizen? I only see advantages, no disadvantages!?!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hi,
I received this email this morning. Think it clarifies the entire thing. I'm actually going in January now anyway so I only need to wait the 2 years, on the assumption this will go through.

"Dear Ms Whitelaw

Thank you for your email of 19 September 2006 to the Parliamentary
Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, the
Hon Andrew Robb AO MP, concerning the new residence requirements for
Australian citizenship. Your email has been referred to the Department of
Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (the department) for response.

The new residence requirements for Australian citizenship, which were
announced on
17 September 2006, will require changes to the legislation and are not
expected to come into effect until 26 January 2007 at the earliest.

If you make your initial entry to Australia before the date of commencement
of the new legislation, you will only need to meet the current requirement
of a minimum period of two years as a permanent resident in Australia in
the five years before application for citizenship, including at least 12
months in the two years before the application. This is provided that an
application for citizenship is made within three years of the changes
coming into effect.

If you make your initial entry after the commencement of the new
legislation, the new residence requirements will apply.

Further details on the new residence requirements can be found on the
department’s citizenship website,
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/news/index.htm. The website will be updated
as developments occur.

I trust the information provided is useful.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxx
Assistant Secretary
Citizenship and Language Services"

Glad that I found out for definite, it's actually made things more exciting for me as now I only have a few months to get ready!
Tracy
Good luck to you Tracy. My situation depends upon quite what they mean by 'initial entry' If that means PR visa validation then that's OK, I've just done that. If it means actually taking up PR, then that will not be possible for me until November 07. I guess both I and others in a similar situation will have to wait until the regulations are definitively laid down, like JAJ quite sensibly keeps trying to explain to people.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are some jobs that require you to be a citizen. Sometimes being accepted for the job means they give you citizenship (eg defense) rather than citizenship being a prerequisite for applying.
I do see the idea of feeling more at home if you're a citizen, that has occured to me - but I will be there 2 years as PR anyway, at the moment I can't see that another 2 years on top will make a huge difference to me. It's a bit like my feelings on marriage - I am adamant that a piece of paper will not make any real difference to anything emotionally. (tho I know it does legally & financially)

(Another question - if a PR marries a citizen, does the PR automatically qualify for citizenship or still have to wait same as if single? Coz that could speed things up!)
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:39 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

(Another question - if a PR marries a citizen, does the PR automatically qualify for citizenship or still have to wait same as if single? Coz that could speed things up!)
Short answer - No.

If you marry an Aussie you can apply to become a PR, but there is no shortcut - in fact for many of us it takes longer to gain PR and citizenship down that route.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
If you marry an Aussie you can apply to become a PR, but there is no shortcut - in fact for many of us it takes longer to gain PR and citizenship down that route.
Under the new rules it won't make much difference as time on a temporary visa will count (up to 3 years) towards the 4 year requirement.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booyip
Will time on a Working Holiday Visa (417) count towards the new citizenship requirements?
Under the Amendments as tabled (which could change)

Yes it will PROVIDED you don't become unlawful in Australia (not even for a day).

I have been in Australia since March 2004 (on a WHV), then converted to a 457 in Jan 2005 which I'm still on. I think this new rule will work in my favour (if the WHV counts!), so should I delay my PR application? Was looking to apply in the next month or so...
Get PR as soon as you can if that's what you've decided to do. Don't risk a problem with your job, health or whatever, making you ineligible.

Date you apply for PR is irrelevant. If you become a PR before Commencement Day (scheduled for 26.01.07 but could change) then you wait 2 years from grant of PR.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by rootsie
I agree Pollyana. I have just validated my PR visa but unfortunately cannot move over permanently until November next year. I am hoping that the new rules will not extend my wait for citizenship,
The new rules as proposed are that if both criteria below are met, the 2 year residence period should apply:

(a) a person is a permanent resident (worked out under the old Act) immediately before the commencement day; and
(b) the person makes an application under subsection 21(1) of the new Act within the period of 3 years beginning on the commencement day;

The definition of "permanent resident" for citizenship purposes is very complex and is not the same as what's used for migration purposes. It seems to me that any holder of a valid permanent visa at Commencement Day would be covered but we will need to see something definitive from DIMA to be sure.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:30 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Under the new rules it won't make much difference as time on a temporary visa will count (up to 3 years) towards the 4 year requirement.
I have not looked in detail at the proposals - I will wait for the legislation to be passed, but I think I will possibly be stuffed by the new rules unless I have the option to choose to use the new rules even though I am eligible for the old ones. As it stands, I need to do 2 years PR to get citizenship and I will be PR before the new legislation comes into force. Under the new rules I would only have to do 1 year as I would be able to count my Temp Resident time. Ah well - at least it looks like I will not have to do another 3 or 4 years.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
The new rules as proposed are that if both criteria below are met, the 2 year residence period should apply:

(a) a person is a permanent resident (worked out under the old Act) immediately before the commencement day; and
(b) the person makes an application under subsection 21(1) of the new Act within the period of 3 years beginning on the commencement day;

The definition of "permanent resident" for citizenship purposes is very complex and is not the same as what's used for migration purposes. It seems to me that any holder of a valid permanent visa at Commencement Day would be covered but we will need to see something definitive from DIMA to be sure.
Thanks JAJ, lets hope that a validated PR visa is good enough. I suppose it wouldn't matter that much waiting a further 2 years, but for reasons previously given I would aim to obtain citizenship asap.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Technically

Presumably once a Brit becomes an Aussie citizen (s)he ceases to be a Brit and therefore no longer an Expat!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technically

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Presumably once a Brit becomes an Aussie citizen (s)he ceases to be a Brit and therefore no longer an Expat!
Nope. Dual citizenship is permitted but I think that you have to inform the British consulate before you do it?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Technically

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nope. Dual citizenship is permitted but I think that you have to inform the British consulate before you do it?
As I understand it, in the past the Aussie's disapproved of dual citizenship so you had to keep it 'under your hat' so to speak. A few years ago they reviewed this and decided it was ok, although they ask you to declare it, there was a section on the passport renewal form the last time my wife renewed her Aussie passport. As for the Brits, I really don't think they care, I know numerous people with dual/triple citizenship and none of them have bothered informing the UK authorities. This may be an oversight on their part of course...............

Last edited by rootsie; Oct 19th 2006 at 12:04 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

I would like to be able to vote so that I can have some say in how my tax dollars are spent, on issues that will affect my kids as they grow etc etc etc. Social responsibility innit. Should be compulsory everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.