Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you're PR by Jan 07 then the old rule will apply - so the bloke is right in applying old rules, but 08 may of course be too soon - if you've only just got in the country.

My wife who got PR 2 months ago will be on old rules, and will therefore get the operation lined up from July 08.

She may be able to apply on "new rules" if these are more favourable (wait and see). However, what she won't be able to do is mix and match from old and new.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:17 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

A question for anyone ........

it will be two years for us on the 11th October......

just wondering what the fees are for citizenship..... and if it paid per person or family, also what do you do regarding passports..... is there another fee there...

also - what is the ceremony like - ie what is required?

any feedback is much appreciated

thanx boomie
xx
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

I read the announcement again and I still have questions. God I feel thick sometimes lol.
So if I can validate before Jan 2007 will the old rules apply or is it a case of I have to validate before then and actually live there before then that means I'll get the old rules?
I was planning to move in June 2007 as I already mentioned and that was when I was going to validate. However, if I could validate before Jan 2007 and get the old rules I would go over before then to do so. If I actually have to move there before Jan 2007 to qualify then that could be more tricky.
Anyone know the right answer to this yet or is it a case of waiting to see what the legislation states.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomie
A question for anyone ........

it will be two years for us on the 11th October......

just wondering what the fees are for citizenship..... and if it paid per person or family, also what do you do regarding passports..... is there another fee there...

also - what is the ceremony like - ie what is required?
Fee for citizenship is AUD120 per person. Children under 16 can be added to a parent's application (free). Read the information at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

For an Australian passport afterwards, there's an additional fee. http://www.passports.gov.au

You need to be more specific in what you ask about the ceremony.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:14 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by karmagirls
I read the announcement again and I still have questions. God I feel thick sometimes lol.
So if I can validate before Jan 2007 will the old rules apply or is it a case of I have to validate before then and actually live there before then that means I'll get the old rules?
I was planning to move in June 2007 as I already mentioned and that was when I was going to validate. However, if I could validate before Jan 2007 and get the old rules I would go over before then to do so. If I actually have to move there before Jan 2007 to qualify then that could be more tricky.
Anyone know the right answer to this yet or is it a case of waiting to see what the legislation states.

Need to wait and see, sorry.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:18 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

I am landing in Brisbane on 4th October for good, I have already validated my visa several times this year so does this mean that we will only have to wait 2 years to get Citizenship because we have got in before Jan 2007?

cheers
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by frogboy
I am landing in Brisbane on 4th October for good, I have already validated my visa several times this year so does this mean that we will only have to wait 2 years to get Citizenship because we have got in before Jan 2007?

As has already been answered on this thread a few times (recommended to read it) - WAIT AND SEE.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:28 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Update on the new citizenship residence requirement:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

Highlights are:

- FOUR years lawful residence in Australia immediately preceding the application
- absences of up to 12 months in total will be allowed, with no more than a total of 3 months in the final year
- at least ONE year of the four years must be as a permanent residence. (in other words up to THREE years temporary residence can count).

It seems that current permanent residents will be exempted:

"The new residence requirements will apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation. Current permanent residents will not be affected by these changes."

Commencement day for the new laws is still scheduled to be 26 January 2007.

Excellent news. This means that we can apply for citizenship after two years residency (with all applicable stipulations).

Ooooh, I'm going to have a good arvo today....
Old Sep 20th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

JAJ, don't know if you can help with this.
I just spent 10 months in Oz on a WHV, returned to UK in May, and am now going back on a 457 in November. Will the months I spent there on a WHV count towards the three years as a temporary resident?
Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:25 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Fee for citizenship is AUD120 per person. Children under 16 can be added to a parent's application (free). Read the information at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

For an Australian passport afterwards, there's an additional fee. http://www.passports.gov.au

You need to be more specific in what you ask about the ceremony.

Thanx ever such a lot for taking time to reply to me...... much appreciated

regards

boomie
xx
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,
I contacted the London Embassy to ask specifically what all this means for people like myself who have a PR visa but have not yet validated.
My question to them was, do I have to validate before Jan 2007 to be able to apply for citizenship in 2 years or does having the visa before the law change comes in (without validating) suffice?
The response was as follows:

"When a person applies for citizenship they must meet the residency requirements at the time of application. The citizenship law changes apply to all permanent residents who have not yet become citizens.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/overview/conferal.htm"

Now, does this even answer my question? LOL. Am I completely missing something here.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:21 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Hi everyone,
I contacted the London Embassy to ask specifically what all this means for people like myself who have a PR visa but have not yet validated.
My question to them was, do I have to validate before Jan 2007 to be able to apply for citizenship in 2 years or does having the visa before the law change comes in (without validating) suffice?
The response was as follows:

"When a person applies for citizenship they must meet the residency requirements at the time of application. The citizenship law changes apply to all permanent residents who have not yet become citizens.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/overview/conferal.htm"

Now, does this even answer my question? LOL. Am I completely missing something here.
Thanks
Tracy
I think it is basically saying if you have been in-country for a total of 2 years before January then as long as you apply before the new rules come you'll get citizenship. If you were to apply in Feb then the 4 year rule kicks in.
In a nutshell if you can apply for citizenship efore January then do it, if you can't then its a 4 year wait.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frogboy
I think it is basically saying if you have been in-country for a total of 2 years before January then as long as you apply before the new rules come you'll get citizenship. If you were to apply in Feb then the 4 year rule kicks in.
In a nutshell if you can apply for citizenship efore January then do it, if you can't then its a 4 year wait.
OMG!!!!!

Surely not....I've interpreted it as if you're a PR at 26th Jan 07, then when you do get around to applying in 2 years after taking residency, you'll get get citizenship.

If this isnt' the case then surely it would have been simpler for the government to state " All applicants for citizenship after 26th Jan 07 will have to have had 4 years of residency"..simple as.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:51 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
OMG!!!!!

Surely not....I've interpreted it as if you're a PR at 26th Jan 07, then when you do get around to applying in 2 years after taking residency, you'll get get citizenship.

If this isnt' the case then surely it would have been simpler for the government to state " All applicants for citizenship after 26th Jan 07 will have to have had 4 years of residency"..simple as.
Yes, I interpret it the same as you Pommie - taken from their website...

Will they affect current permanent residents?
The new residence requirements will only apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation.

People who are permanent residents before the commencement of the new legislation will only need to meet the current residence requirements (presence in Australia as a permanent resident for periods amounting to two years in the last five years including one year in the last two immediately prior to making the application) provided that they apply within three years from the day the legislation commences.
So basically, if you've got a PR visa and you're in Oz by Jan, there's no problem - you meet the '2 year' criterea.

See you on Cronulla Beach for a

Graham
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi everyone,
With respect it was a waste of your time because no-one knows the answer to that question until the revised text of the Bill is available.

As has already been said - WAIT AND SEE. Or plan to validate before 26 Jan 2007 anyway, but be prepared to find out this may not be enough to guarantee you the 2 year wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.