Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update from Mindarie, Perth.

Update from Mindarie, Perth.

Old May 6th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update from Mindarie, Perth.

It's two months since we left the UK and I can't imagine going back.

Since my last update, I am now working full-time in the city for BHP Billiton Iron Ore. Travelled down in the car for the first few days but thought sod this, I now catch the train from Clarkson and it takes about an hour altogether if I leg it from Perth station to the office...my calve muscles have never worked so hard!! . It works out a lot cheaper, you can pay up to $28 for parking alone on St Georges Terrace. Grab a Multirider ticket and save on your petrol and mileage too!!!

Got 4 and a half months left on our rental in Mindarie and although I think it's a lovely place to live, the breeze off the ocean can be just a touch too severe for me, so we may buy more inland.

We headed down to Rockingham last weekend and looked around Baldivis again, there was a brand new 5 x 2 under completion for $425,000 at 'The Ridge', it seems to be cheaper than NOR by maybe $50k, although we like Carramar and Tapping which seems to be in a similar price bracket.

Rockingham doesn't have the amenities that the north has but a plus point is Rockingham City shopping is open on a Sunday through school hols..lol.

Hubby asked me what I missed about the UK the other day and I really had to struggle to think of an answer, apart from family...I could only think of the TV..Foxtel is the same price as SKY with about a 5th of the channels and we've had to buy a digital set top box to watch channel 7,9, and 10 etc.

Our 24 cartons aren't landing until the 6th June and we've had to buy just about everything again, when I get the chance I'll post a list of the costs etc. to give you an idea of how far your money goes..(in summary..not far!!)
We paid our rental in full for the 6 months so we have our wages free to save more house deposit back up.

Kids are still loving it, Heather's sleeping out at a friends tonight that's why I'm able to get on the computer, Emma's finally settled in at her nursery and Holly aka the Holster is happy as long as she has her whiteboard to play 'schools' with.

Once I start typing I can't stop and I've got the mother of all headaches so I'd better get myself to bed.

Jude xx
Old May 6th 2006, 4:26 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update from Mindarie, Perth.

Originally Posted by Xgeminix
It's two months since we left the UK and I can't imagine going back.

Since my last update, I am now working full-time in the city for BHP Billiton Iron Ore. Travelled down in the car for the first few days but thought sod this, I now catch the train from Clarkson and it takes about an hour altogether if I leg it from Perth station to the office...my calve muscles have never worked so hard!! . It works out a lot cheaper, you can pay up to $28 for parking alone on St Georges Terrace. Grab a Multirider ticket and save on your petrol and mileage too!!!

Got 4 and a half months left on our rental in Mindarie and although I think it's a lovely place to live, the breeze off the ocean can be just a touch too severe for me, so we may buy more inland.

We headed down to Rockingham last weekend and looked around Baldivis again, there was a brand new 5 x 2 under completion for $425,000 at 'The Ridge', it seems to be cheaper than NOR by maybe $50k, although we like Carramar and Tapping which seems to be in a similar price bracket.

Rockingham doesn't have the amenities that the north has but a plus point is Rockingham City shopping is open on a Sunday through school hols..lol.

Hubby asked me what I missed about the UK the other day and I really had to struggle to think of an answer, apart from family...I could only think of the TV..Foxtel is the same price as SKY with about a 5th of the channels and we've had to buy a digital set top box to watch channel 7,9, and 10 etc.

Our 24 cartons aren't landing until the 6th June and we've had to buy just about everything again, when I get the chance I'll post a list of the costs etc. to give you an idea of how far your money goes..(in summary..not far!!)
We paid our rental in full for the 6 months so we have our wages free to save more house deposit back up.

Kids are still loving it, Heather's sleeping out at a friends tonight that's why I'm able to get on the computer, Emma's finally settled in at her nursery and Holly aka the Holster is happy as long as she has her whiteboard to play 'schools' with.

Once I start typing I can't stop and I've got the mother of all headaches so I'd better get myself to bed.

Jude xx
ive been here 6 weeks on wed and i cant imagine going back either it just feels like home already!..im renting in ocean reef at the mo,its nice but im keeping my options open as to where id want to buy/settle long term..mindarie is nice but a little out of mr.ransis distance for work (bibra lake)...my kids started school last week and my eldest found it difficult,hes a shy type,but my daughter who had to start primary (high school in the uk) found it ok...no grumbles about oz though so thats a good thing!...
Old May 7th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Xgeminix

Not only Rockingham Shopping Centre is open during hols, so do the others including Mandurah.

I believe Settlers Hills/Baldivis are one of the best areas to live in. One has direct access to the freeway which will be extended south in the near future. The train station is a few meters away. A large regional shopping centre will be built on your footsteps.

You won't get the ocean breeze though as much as in Mandarie yet this means summers will be a few degrees hotter.

Because Perth has nothing much around your next option for "escape" is down south. That means you have an hour less travel time from Baldivis. Bus transport from Rockingham to Perth is $168 multirider 40.
Old May 7th 2006, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Those ocean breezes may be a bit too much now, but you wait until those temparatures hit the 40's then you will kill for a sea breeze!!!!!!
Old May 7th 2006, 5:26 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are both settling in, Jude and Ransi. Hope everything goes well for both families.

Tracey
Old May 7th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Those ocean breezes may be a bit too much now, but you wait until those temparatures hit the 40's then you will kill for a sea breeze!!!!!!

Got to agree with you there Sandra, I live in Mindarie and when its gets hot those ocean breezes are a great help.

Kim
Old May 7th 2006, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We're building in Mindarie at the mo and I also suffer from wind ...
Old May 7th 2006, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ransi
ive been here 6 weeks on wed and i cant imagine going back either it just feels like home already!

no grumbles about oz though so thats a good thing!...
Snap! ... altho it's just over 6 weeks for us.

Hi Haley.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:00 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Snap! ... altho it's just over 6 weeks for us.

Hi Haley.
hey you! hows it going?

long time no speak...
Old May 7th 2006, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

hey you! hows it going?

long time no speak...
Yeah all goin well ...

Dog's here, house stuff arrived last week, and all starting to slow down at last ...

Pretty much everything is goin fine, no drama's and no worries! ...

All good your way?
Old May 7th 2006, 2:10 pm
Cheeky member

Yeah all goin well ...

Dog's here, house stuff arrived last week, and all starting to slow down at last ...

Pretty much everything is goin fine, no drama's and no worries! ...

All good your way?
good to hear..

chuffed about the dog matey ..our stuff not due till the 10th which im really pissed off about!!!

no dramas here either...just chillin'..
Old May 7th 2006, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

good to hear..

chuffed about the dog matey ..our stuff not due till the 10th which im really pissed off about!!!

no dramas here either...just chillin'..
Yeah mutley loves it here too ...lol

Stuff arriving IS as they say like christmas. Did you do the plastic garden table for the dining room, TV on a cardboard box bit? ...
Old May 7th 2006, 2:22 pm
Cheeky member

Yeah mutley loves it here too ...lol

Stuff arriving IS as they say like christmas. Did you do the plastic garden table for the dining room, TV on a cardboard box bit? ...
sun loungers and chairs in the dining room...new tv (small) on a wooden box...aint a pretty sight i tell ya...tumble drier in the family room cos we aint got the measurements for our washing machine which i cant wait to get..heaven not to scrub clothes by hand..effing nightmare...not a drama though...
Old May 7th 2006, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

sun loungers and chairs in the dining room...new tv (small) on a wooden box...aint a pretty sight i tell ya...tumble drier in the family room cos we aint got the measurements for our washing machine which i cant wait to get..heaven not to scrub clothes by hand..effing nightmare...not a drama though...
LOL, yeah I guess we ALL go thru it. We went to that 'pay cash, pay less!' mob who's name escapes me now and got a 21" tv for $140 a microwave, kettle etc. As I say I reckon EVERYONE buys a small tv and sticks it on a box of some sort ...lol

Thankfully a friend borrowed us a double bed and 2 singles so that was well handy ... Still using actually but new stuff should be here soon ...

Another good tip we got was to buy a s/h washing machine. We got one for $150 with a 3 month warranty and it was delivered and even plumbed in for free! It's not been brill, but has done the job! ... ... Which reminds me to call him to see how much he'll give us for it back now the one from the UK is here now.

Anyway, not wanting to hijack, and that bed I was on about is calling.

Take it easy Haley! ...
Old May 7th 2006, 2:43 pm
Cheeky member

LOL, yeah I guess we ALL go thru it. We went to that 'pay cash, pay less!' mob who's name escapes me now and got a 21" tv for $140 a microwave, kettle etc. As I say I reckon EVERYONE buys a small tv and sticks it on a box of some sort ...lol

Thankfully a friend borrowed us a double bed and 2 singles so that was well handy ... Still using actually but new stuff should be here soon ...

Another good tip we got was to buy a s/h washing machine. We got one for $150 with a 3 month warranty and it was delivered and even plumbed in for free! It's not been brill, but has done the job! ... ... Which reminds me to call him to see how much he'll give us for it back now the one from the UK is here now.

Anyway, not wanting to hijack, and that bed I was on about is calling.

Take it easy Haley! ...
good guys...
bought all new beds,nice though.

bed times calling here too...nighty night...speak soon xxx