Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update from LawLaw IN SYDNEY

Wikiposts

Update from LawLaw IN SYDNEY

Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Update from LawLaw IN SYDNEY

Hello Guys

Thought I would give you all a little update as I loved reading them back in the UK.

We arrived in Australia end of feb, Sydney airport. Our intention was to visit family in the northern Beaches (mona vale to be precise) do a bit of sightseeing then spend a week driving up the coast to Brisbane, where we intended to settle.

Well anyway we got to brissie and changed our minds within about 2 days and decided to go back to Sydney.

We came with about $7000 and have done really well, we both have better paid jobs than in the UK. I started last week, Steve starts in May.

We paid 3 months upfront for a unit in Mona Vale, as had no jobs when we applied.

Everything has worked out really well for us. We absolutely love it here, no regrets at all. I have not even been homesick, although having family here really helps I guess.

I love Sydney, its great having beers by the opera house after a days work and strolling along the beach at the weekend.

I have found everyone really friendly.

I just wanted to post this to give some hope to those without much cash to come with that it can be done if you are determined.

fantastic furniture is a godsend for those on a tight budget. we got a queen bed, mattress, table and chairs and a corner sofa for $1600. BARGAIN!

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update from LawLaw IN SYDNEY

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello Guys

Thought I would give you all a little update as I loved reading them back in the UK.

We arrived in Australia end of feb, Sydney airport. Our intention was to visit family in the northern Beaches (mona vale to be precise) do a bit of sightseeing then spend a week driving up the coast to Brisbane, where we intended to settle.

Well anyway we got to brissie and changed our minds within about 2 days and decided to go back to Sydney.

We came with about $7000 and have done really well, we both have better paid jobs than in the UK. I started last week, Steve starts in May.

We paid 3 months upfront for a unit in Mona Vale, as had no jobs when we applied.

Everything has worked out really well for us. We absolutely love it here, no regrets at all. I have not even been homesick, although having family here really helps I guess.

I love Sydney, its great having beers by the opera house after a days work and strolling along the beach at the weekend.

I just wanted to post this to give some hope to those without much cash to come with that it can be done if you are determined.

fantastic furniture is a godsend for those on a tight budget. we got a queen bed, mattress, table and chairs and a corner sofa for $1600. BARGAIN!

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Great post, glad you are enjoying it.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:03 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x

No! not enough bimbling....i love these kinda posts!

Sounds like you are having a great time. Well done on getting good jobs very quickly! What made you change your mind about Brissy? was it just your family were in Syndney and you wanted to be nearer them? Thanks for the info on the furniture...good to know you can pick up a bargain.

Well feel free to ramble on some more LawLaw....I'm all ears!

Love Jackie x
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:11 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Great to hear things are working out for you both. I was interested to hear you came with $7,000. Was this each or joint? The reason I am asking is one thing I am considering is moving to UK and would be interested on how much you think I might need to get me by until I get work (would take first job I could land until I find one that fits my qualifications).

I was thinking of taking 2-3,000 pounds plus airfare back to OZ/NZ if things didn't work out. What do you think? I have been to UK before and last time I was in London (was in my 20's then) scored a job in 3 days.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
No! not enough bimbling....i love these kinda posts!

Sounds like you are having a great time. Well done on getting good jobs very quickly! What made you change your mind about Brissy? was it just your family were in Syndney and you wanted to be nearer them? Thanks for the info on the furniture...good to know you can pick up a bargain.

Well feel free to ramble on some more LawLaw....I'm all ears!

Love Jackie x
I dont know really what made me change my mind, I loved sydney soo much when we got here, I lived in the northern beaches til I was 10 and i felt so back at home here and just didnt get the same vibe in Brisbane. You know I think the main thing was the lack of beaches near to the city, I didnt think it would bother me until I got there, I felt a bit hemmed in, weird hey considering I lived in Derby before.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:20 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Great to hear things are working out for you both. I was interested to hear you came with $7,000. Was this each or joint? The reason I am asking is one thing I am considering is moving to UK and would be interested on how much you think I might need to get me by until I get work (would take first job I could land until I find one that fits my qualifications).

I was thinking of taking 2-3,000 pounds plus airfare back to OZ/NZ if things didn't work out. What do you think? I have been to UK before and last time I was in London (was in my 20's then) scored a job in 3 days.
Hi Kiwi,

where in the UK are you thinking of coming? the amount you would need to live on varies considerably depending on where you live. Would you be looking at a house share? what kind of job would you be looking for...if you could get what you wanted. I think 2-3 thousand pounds might last you about 3-4 months depending on where you are in the country if that is any help.

Jackie x
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi kiwichild, oops I meant £7000 that was joint. Im not too sure about your question. I reckon you could do it not sure on London rentals though, others may be better qualified. I'm pretty sure it would be easy to get work there though
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:08 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Hey, glad you're enjoying Sydney. We hope to be out there by the end of the year too!! Can't wait! Beer by the Opera House...... ahhhh

Graham
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:14 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Hi Kiwi,

where in the UK are you thinking of coming? the amount you would need to live on varies considerably depending on where you live. Would you be looking at a house share? what kind of job would you be looking for...if you could get what you wanted. I think 2-3 thousand pounds might last you about 3-4 months depending on where you are in the country if that is any help.

Jackie x
I was thinking of going to London intially as last time I was there, there was a lot of work around. Figured I'd stay at a backpackers till I got a job then move into a flatshare for awhile, then get my own flat or move north once I had saved a bit.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of going to London intially as last time I was there, there was a lot of work around. Figured I'd stay at a backpackers till I got a job then move into a flatshare for awhile, then get my own flat or move north once I had saved a bit.
Hi kiwichild

if going to London then you'll easily get a job (if you're prepeared to do whatever comes up.) Flat share wise youre prob looking at around about £400-£450 per month incl bills for the further out zones (i.e. 4-6), only way to get it cheaper is to organise a flat share yourself. Closer into the centre i'm not sure how much, but certainly would expect it to be more. I have no clue about backpacker rates.

Oh and to the OP - thanks - excellent post - trying to choose between Sydney and Brisbane myself (only difference being I spent my first 10 years in QLD).

Sammy
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
Hi kiwichild

if going to London then you'll easily get a job (if you're prepeared to do whatever comes up.) Flat share wise youre prob looking at around about £400-£450 per month incl bills for the further out zones (i.e. 4-6), only way to get it cheaper is to organise a flat share yourself. Closer into the centre i'm not sure how much, but certainly would expect it to be more. I have no clue about backpacker rates.

Oh and to the OP - thanks - excellent post - trying to choose between Sydney and Brisbane myself (only difference being I spent my first 10 years in QLD).

Sammy
Thanks Sammy, sending you some karma (For the answer and so you can get started)
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Welcome back to the northern beaches then! IMO you can't beat them.

A point on the furniture, I've bought a fair bit from Best Price -the big yellow building on main road near Balgowlah. Prices are good for some sturdy pieces, if you haggle. Just avoid the garlic smelling Frenchie in there.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sammy, sending you some karma (For the answer and so you can get started)
Thanks kiwichild!!! We've all gotta start somewhere!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:16 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x

I love these posts.
Glad you are settling in well.
Long may it continue
Julie. x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:00 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Guys

Anyway enough bimbling,

LawLaw x
Hi LawLaw great post, good to hear your settled and loving it

fab news re the job front, better paid too - bonus!!

bloody good deal on the furniture

sure its gotta be better than Derby

Possoms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.