Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

update from Canberra

update from Canberra

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default update from Canberra

Just thought I would update you all on how I am finding life in Canberra seeing as there are a few people still to come since I joined the forum. This is mostly pasted from a private message I sent to Rockhopper (Steve B) who is leaving the UK for Oz shortly.

Its Anzac day weekend here so another public holiday -thats 4 I have had since I came here- Canberra day, good friday, easter mnoday and Anzac day. You will have to wait until the Queens b'day for the next one. They say the weather turns colder after Anzac day as well but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It might be colder but it will still be sunny and bright. It rained for two days the first week I was here and on the occasional night last week but it has truely been sunny just about every day so far. I sit outside in a short sleeve shirt at lunchtimes, OK if the sun goes behind a cloud it can be a bit chilly but I can see myself sitting outside with a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt for a good while yet. I reckon by the time you get here we will be having frosty mornings.

I have been truely impressed with the organisation of Canberra -the roads are great and no rush hour problems. Its a bit like Milton Keynes in some respects as you drive along dual carriageways wondering where all the people are since you cant see a lot of the suburbs from the roads because of all the trees. As soon as you turn off the main road you will get into the estates and there are signs everywhere pointing to the local shops. Every "village" has its own and there are big supermarkets at various locations.

I see what they mean by Canberra lacks a bit of a sense of itself as you dont get a picture of it as a whole. It is a lot of suburbs connected together. The city (on the north of the lake Burley , called "civic") is meant to be the heart but it is very easy to miss it and you end up driving over the bridge to the south side where the parliament is. People tend to like either the south or the north sides and not to travel between tehm too much. They dont need to really as each area is self contained. South of the parliament is the very expensive area (Forrest, Redhill, Manuka) and this is where a lot of embassies are. I still need to do a lot of research on the areas and schools etc but I will fill you in on what I find.

Havent figured out Aussie rules yet and it will be a while before I do although my flatmate is trying hard to convert me and take me to a live game. The rugby is OK to watch and the raiders (the local team) are doing well. It might say something about the "smallness" of Canberra but in the short time I have been here two of the people I have met know players on the team well and have boxes side by side.

Everyone has been very helpful and friendly, the food is great, the beer is a bit cold, but overall I am very pleased with how things have turned out.
Hope this is of some use to people.

Cheers Steve
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:19 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: update from Canberra

Great to hear your making the most of it Steve. Sunny days, short sleeved t-shirts! making me bloody jealous. Windy and overcast in Glasgow today. Have you been down the south coast yet? Anyway I'm glade your have fun there, we'll be heading there in August fingers and testicals crossed. Already organised with Rockhopper to buy the first round of beers when we all meet up.
Jim
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sungold
Just thought I would update you all on how I am finding life in Canberra seeing as there are a few people still to come since I joined the forum. This is mostly pasted from a private message I sent to Rockhopper (Steve B) who is leaving the UK for Oz shortly.

Its Anzac day weekend here so another public holiday -thats 4 I have had since I came here- Canberra day, good friday, easter mnoday and Anzac day. You will have to wait until the Queens b'day for the next one. They say the weather turns colder after Anzac day as well but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It might be colder but it will still be sunny and bright. It rained for two days the first week I was here and on the occasional night last week but it has truely been sunny just about every day so far. I sit outside in a short sleeve shirt at lunchtimes, OK if the sun goes behind a cloud it can be a bit chilly but I can see myself sitting outside with a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt for a good while yet. I reckon by the time you get here we will be having frosty mornings.

I have been truely impressed with the organisation of Canberra -the roads are great and no rush hour problems. Its a bit like Milton Keynes in some respects as you drive along dual carriageways wondering where all the people are since you cant see a lot of the suburbs from the roads because of all the trees. As soon as you turn off the main road you will get into the estates and there are signs everywhere pointing to the local shops. Every "village" has its own and there are big supermarkets at various locations.

I see what they mean by Canberra lacks a bit of a sense of itself as you dont get a picture of it as a whole. It is a lot of suburbs connected together. The city (on the north of the lake Burley , called "civic") is meant to be the heart but it is very easy to miss it and you end up driving over the bridge to the south side where the parliament is. People tend to like either the south or the north sides and not to travel between tehm too much. They dont need to really as each area is self contained. South of the parliament is the very expensive area (Forrest, Redhill, Manuka) and this is where a lot of embassies are. I still need to do a lot of research on the areas and schools etc but I will fill you in on what I find.

Havent figured out Aussie rules yet and it will be a while before I do although my flatmate is trying hard to convert me and take me to a live game. The rugby is OK to watch and the raiders (the local team) are doing well. It might say something about the "smallness" of Canberra but in the short time I have been here two of the people I have met know players on the team well and have boxes side by side.

Everyone has been very helpful and friendly, the food is great, the beer is a bit cold, but overall I am very pleased with how things have turned out.

Cheers Steve
Hi Steve,
excellent posting, thankyou... we are due to arrive in about 3 months depending on the speed of our visa!!! and I have to give 2 months notice, are you working for children and families by any chance, cause i would love to meet someone who has got over there??
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:06 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Great post Steve, try to keep hold of that sun until we arrive. I don't mind the frosty mornings, it's the rain I don't like. Sounds like they have things sorted on the road system, I know that if we rent on the south side of Canberra it will only take me 10 mins to get to work, I believe if I live North it could take 30 mins. Both times would be fine, I have been used to anything from 2 hrs to 50 mins commutes.
Sounds like your settling in OK and sampling all that Canberra has to offer, we look forward to having a few bears with you in about 4 weeks time.

Regards

Steve B

Originally Posted by Sungold

Cheers Steve
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

No I dont work there - I am at CSIRO. There were several people from the UK coming over to work with kids -try my first thread canberra good bad or indifferent? I think Kristine works where you are going to work. She saidn that there was a bunch of you coming out here.

Steve

Originally Posted by samjam
Hi Steve,
excellent posting, thankyou... we are due to arrive in about 3 months depending on the speed of our visa!!! and I have to give 2 months notice, are you working for children and families by any chance, cause i would love to meet someone who has got over there??
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:13 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi steve.

I'm glad you're finding your feet here. it's not a bad place to be really is it? I think you pretty much nailed canberra with that post. Lots of small villages making up a big city. I still find the signs pointing the way to all the local shops funny.

it sounds like we'll have enough for a get together soon with all you other guys coming over. We'll have to get something sorted then. Not sure i could manage a full bear though, but a beer would be nice.

all the best.

leigh
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

malnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

First time I've done this so hope I do it right!

Hubby, daughter and I are moving to Canberra as soon as our house is sold, I was a little worried about going to Canberra due to hearing negative things but this thread has made me feel better - Thank you!

Now I'm just scared of the bugs...
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by malnsam

Hubby, daughter and I are moving to Canberra as soon as our house is sold, I was a little worried about going to Canberra due to hearing negative things but this thread has made me feel better - Thank you!

Hi Malnsam,
we are family of 6 going soon hopefully, we are scared too, any thoughts on the area you will live in ? I will be working in Woden.
kelly
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:59 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by malnsam

I am sure we will all survive the bugs, everyone else seems too. Good luck on the sale of your house and maybe see you in Canberra. Only 2 weeks till we leave, it still doesn’t seem real!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:02 pm
sula

[ I will be working in Woden.

Hi Samjam,
The people I met in the Woden Office were a great bunch!
Hope it all works out!
Good luck!
Sula

Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sula
[ I will be working in Woden.

Hi Samjam,
The people I met in the Woden Office were a great bunch!
Hope it all works out!
Good luck!
Sula
Hi Sula,
do you have any email adresses for any of the people? did you meet the very infamous Mary? Hope you are ok , stuff you sent is great.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:09 pm
sula

Hi Sula,
do you have any email adresses for any of the people? did you meet the very infamous Mary? Hope you are ok , stuff you sent is great.

I will send you a PM.
Sula

Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:17 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
Hi steve.

I'm glad you're finding your feet here. it's not a bad place to be really is it? I think you pretty much nailed canberra with that post. Lots of small villages making up a big city. I still find the signs pointing the way to all the local shops funny.

it sounds like we'll have enough for a get together soon with all you other guys coming over. We'll have to get something sorted then. Not sure i could manage a full bear though, but a beer would be nice.

all the best.

leigh

leigh is lurvin it in Canberra, arent ya mate?

sue xxxxx
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sula
I will send you a PM.
Sula
Bit of a stupid question, but how do I see a PM?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:59 am
Just Joined

malnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Malnsam,
we are family of 6 going soon hopefully, we are scared too, any thoughts on the area you will live in ? I will be working in Woden.
kelly
No ideas as to where we'll be living yet. Mal's new employer find us a place to rent for a few weeks then we're on our own! Want to check out the areas and find somewhere where theres plenty for us to entertain little one.
Whats Woden like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.