British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   update from 'all the luck in the world'! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/update-all-luck-world-258372/)

nosuchluck Oct 5th 2004 9:28 am

update from 'all the luck in the world'!

hi everyone
thought i'd better give you all a quick update on how we are getting on after being here for 3 and a bit weeks!
What can i say, so far so good, we are renting a 4 bed lowset in Eatons Hill, Brisbane, Chanelle started school yesterday and loves it, a girl there asked her to say something!!!!! She's already made a couple of friends :0) Mark is plastering and getting on really well with the Irish, Scots and Australian he is working with!
We've both got cars, me a Rav 4, him a Toyota Hilux, got TFN's sorted, Medicare sorted.
Been to Southbank, Redcliffe (twice), Australia Zoo and actually saw Steve and Terri Irwin :0)
We went 'southside' on Sunday and have decided that we definately want to stay on the northside.
Everything is going really well and we have no regrets whatsoever, yet anyway.
I'm not working and not seeking a job so if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee, pm me
hope everyones dreams are fulfilled as i feel ours have been
hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxx

CK2B Oct 5th 2004 9:48 am

Re: update from 'all the luck in the world'!

Hi Rach,

Good to hear all is going well, you seem to be settling in well. Did Mark find work when you got out there or had he already been offered work when you were in the UK? How does he find the wages compare?

Can I have a rain check on the coffee for next year!!

keep us all posted,
CK

nosuchluck Oct 5th 2004 10:01 am

Thanks for your reply and of course you can take a rain check for now!
Mark found work after we'd been here for two weeks, took a couple of weeks off to settle in! He got a copy of the Courier Mail and rang all the relevant jobs advertised, some said that they'd call back, others were answer phones, so he left messages and hoped for the best, then a couple of times he struck lucky and started last Friday after picking up his ute! The wages aren't as much as he was earning in the uk but then we've found the price of living is alot less here, he says he's earning about three quarters less here. To any plasterers coming over, you wont need your straight edges/rules, any others want any advice feel free to pm
rach, mark and chanelle x

tiredwithtwins Oct 5th 2004 10:40 am

hi rach,
glad to hear its all going so well!!!
is chanelle settling well or is she missing things from home?
glad to hear its easy for plasterers to get work........what sort of hours is mark working? do they start fairly early in the day?

have fun!!

sue x

nosuchluck Oct 5th 2004 11:04 am

Hi Sue
Thanks for replying!
Chanelle's settled really well, she doesn't seem fazed by anything, she hasn't once said she's missing the uk, she said she can't wait to have a best friend again, but she knows that that will happen in time!
Thats right your hubby's a plasterer isn't he? Tell him that the bloke Mark is working for is crying out for them, what sort of plasterer is he? What is your hubby's intentions on coming out does he want to do 'setting' or 'sand & cement'? You get paid more for the latter here. Mark did both in the Uk but out here you chose to do one or the other!? He starts early 6am, which is fine as he was away early in the uk and he finishes at 2.30pm, which is great as he has the afternoon to spend with us! Whereabouts are you heading for? Sorry can't remember!
hugs
Rach x

dmf Oct 5th 2004 11:09 am

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
hi everyone
thought i'd better give you all a quick update on how we are getting on after being here for 3 and a bit weeks!
What can i say, so far so good, we are renting a 4 bed lowset in Eatons Hill, Brisbane, Chanelle started school yesterday and loves it, a girl there asked her to say something!!!!! She's already made a couple of friends :0) Mark is plastering and getting on really well with the Irish, Scots and Australian he is working with!
We've both got cars, me a Rav 4, him a Toyota Hilux, got TFN's sorted, Medicare sorted.
Been to Southbank, Redcliffe (twice), Australia Zoo and actually saw Steve and Terri Irwin :0)
We went 'southside' on Sunday and have decided that we definately want to stay on the northside.
I'm not working and not seeking a job so if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee, pm me
hugs

Hi, well I am going to the dentist at Eatons Hill tomorrow morning - we could always meet afterwards for a coffee if you like - I won't suggest before hand as I hate the dentist!!!

Cheers, Dawn

nosuchluck Oct 5th 2004 11:19 am

Dawn

Hey Dawn,
do you know the village at Albany Creek? Do you know Michels the coffee bar? If so i'll meet you there, what time? pm me if you like
oh and good luck with the dentist!
hugs
Rach xxx

Hels Oct 5th 2004 12:43 pm

Rach,

So pleased to hear that you guys are having such a positive beginning in Brissy!!

Will be great to continue reading about your experiences and feelings as the weeks roll on, so keep 'em coming!!

Would love to meet ya for coffee sometime, but might be a little far from Victoria ;) . However, I am sure we will get to Brisbane at some stage as I have friends that live up there.

I wish you continued good luck for the future hon,

Hels

Go Banana's !! Oct 5th 2004 2:20 pm

Hi Rach,

3 weeks in, god where did that fly past !!

So pleased everything is settling down and the little 'un is doing well. Imogen has soon got loads of friends so I'm sure it won't be long before yours does.

Keep posting

Best wishes

Warren :)

lucyb Oct 5th 2004 3:46 pm

Hi Rach!!!
I was absolutely delighted to hear that you have all settled in so well! good onya!!! I cant wait until the day we can leave the UK comes....it seems lke only yesterday you were till in the UK thinking you would never escape! Keep us posted!
Love,
Lucy
x

Madhouse! Oct 5th 2004 4:11 pm

Hiya Rach
So pleased you are lovin every minute of your new life so far and have settled in soo well, i hadn't been online for awhile so i missed saying see ya and good luck before you left but was thinking of you on the 7th ;)
Things seem to be looking up for us too as it now has been confirmed that Keith has a job to walk straight into :D We are also renting a house right next door to our friends which is great..it is worth paying the rent for a couple months even tho we are not there yet just to secure it ;)
Anyway Keep the posts coming and keep smileing

Claire :D

teach Oct 5th 2004 4:11 pm

Hiya Rach,
Great news that Chanelle loves her new school as I know that she was your main concern. Keep my e-mails coming and as soon as we get there I'll meet you for coffee. Love and big hugs.
Sarah

nickyjohnt Oct 5th 2004 5:15 pm

Hi Rach,

Glad to hear you are all settling in ! Pleased to hear chantelle is enjoying her school. I have an 8 year old daughter who cant wait to get to Perth, but will miss her best friend an awful lot. Her friend was on the phone last night telling her all about the spiders and snakes and trying to put her off going !!!

Anyway good luck to you all and keep us updated !!

P.S its peeing down in Poole at the moment !! :(

Madhouse! Oct 5th 2004 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Rach,

Glad to hear you are all settling in ! Pleased to hear chantelle is enjoying her school. I have an 8 year old daughter who cant wait to get to Perth, but will miss her best friend an awful lot. Her friend was on the phone last night telling her all about the spiders and snakes and trying to put her off going !!!

Anyway good luck to you all and keep us updated !!

P.S its peeing down in Poole at the moment !! :(

Hmmmm yes i see she left the good ole Poole weather behind here :p

nosuchluck Oct 5th 2004 10:50 pm

Hi Hels, Warren, Madhouse, Teach, Nickyjohnt, LucyB
thanks for your replies, Hels, you are right Victoria is a little bit far from Brissie, but my wishes are the same wherever you are heading - all the luck in the world.
Its a funny feeling, its like we've been accepted and i feel very priviledged to be living here, living our dream! As i've said i'm sure that there will be things i don't like about Australia but so far i haven't found them!
Just dropped Chanelle off to school and the sun is shining, has been since my dozy brother-in-law rang at 5.00am this morning and Mark seems to think that because its a long way from the uk he has to shout down the phone!!!
Meeting up with DMF (dawn) this morning for coffee, thats if we recognise each other from the descriptions, there again she has a dental appointment so i'll just look out for someone dribbling!
Nicky & Madhouse - oh the sunny south coast - how i miss it - NOT!!!!
hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxx :D

robertd Oct 6th 2004 12:58 am

Re: Dawn

Dear Rach and family,
Can`t beleive you are already here. Hope you are all settling in, it takes time. I would love to met up for coffee providing I can find time to get up to you as we are on the Gold Coast. Was it you that was going to get a tattoo done. I got mine done in Ashley Road before we came over. On 7th sept, the Bournemouh Echo did a featue on us. Havent seen a copy yet, but the Echo office are sending one over. Once again, great to have you here, especially as you are from Poole. We are meeting up with Pasquill on Friday night. Something to look forward to. best wishes Rach, love Louisa. Already met up with Pluma, and seeing Gazza22222 in a couple of weeks. :)

mlbonner Oct 6th 2004 1:11 am

Hey Rach - longtime no hear!! Glad its all going well. I'm sending you a PM :)

Pollyana Oct 6th 2004 3:19 am

Glad its all going well - Rach, are you coming on the night out next Friday?? :beer: :beer:

unrefined_mind Oct 6th 2004 6:55 am

Hi Rach

Glad to hear you are all settling in well, we have all come a long way since that first meet at 'The Bear and Ragged Staff' seems like many moons ago now.

Most from that meet must be 'Down Under' Somewhere by now.... :confused:

Take Care

Graham (the 'Swift' family)

Dreamaway 10 Oct 7th 2004 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
hi everyone
hugs

Dear Rach really glad to hear you are all okay and are settling to your new lives well.
Is everything as you expected it to be .Does it live up to your expectations?
Take Care keep us all updated
Cheers Dreamaway