British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Update! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/update-364097/)

Paul&Nic Mar 27th 2006 9:35 pm

Update!

HELP!! ...lol

I have not fell off the side of the planet, but it HAS been manic since we left!

We got here a week ago today and this is prob the first chance I've had to do a post ... :eek: ... altho I must admit I DID have a lot of free time back in the UK and it's not the same now!!

Anyway, after a week of searching we have finally secured a house in Upper Coomera with a 10 - 15 min walk to school for the kids ... :) The Upper Coomera State College where they're goin is in demand which we knew from when we was here last July, but the houses anywhere near the school are getting snapped up real quick. We liked the school for many reasons, but apparently what is getting a lot of people moving in is because it's the only school in Australia that is offering 'certain' subjects. Ashley loves her Art and Dance and you can do this everywhere but Kurt has picked 'Rock Music' as one of his as he loves the guitar and the drums, but there is some I dunno ... weird subjects available for them but they've both manged to get into all they want.

We've bought a little car which is handy as the rental was a heap ...lol. 350,000 kilo's and they charged me to rent it too! ... shoulda been free! ...lol, but admittedly it WAS only a cheapie. We've got a year old little Toyota Corolla auto which is fine. 'I' wanted the Subaru but what can ya do! ... lol, but it's ok and I have to consider running cost as we are students after all.

We both started our courses on Monday and that's been ok, quite a laugh at times. I am NOT the only bloke in the class ok!!! ... :D It has been hard tho as we're at school from 9 - 4.30 and lunch breaks have been eaten up with running out to pay deposits for the car, final payments, bonds for the house, oh and whatever else has popped up!

I 'think' we're over the jet lag now, but to be honest we're all so knackered by the time the eve sets in we're all asleep by 10pm at the latest!! ... altho I must admit having breakfast in the sun at 6/7am IS nice!

We see a fair bit of rain in the early part of the week but the last few days have been lovely with high 20's temps. Even with the rain it's not so bad as you obv don't get the cold temps with it.

Woolworths is dearer than I remembered ...lol, altho it's prob cos we're on such a budget now.

Still, altho it HAS been really hectic this week, the future is looking good with the house secured and altho we'll arrive with the 5 suitcases we left with, it'll be nice.

Oh and mutters is doin ok in Sydney ... :) I've spoke to the lady who's watching him and altho she said he seems a little stressed as he runs around like a nutcase all the time, she just doesn't understand that IS how he is! ...lol. He's keeping his weight and they have no real worries with him ... :)

Anyway, Ashley said sandy man is a callin so I have to go.

ALL good in Oz! ... :)

Speak or see you soon!

Paul

Wendy Mar 27th 2006 9:41 pm

Re: Update!

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
HELP!! ...lol

I have not fell off the side of the planet, but it HAS been manic since we left!

We got here a week ago today and this is prob the first chance I've had to do a post ... :eek: ... altho I must admit I DID have a lot of free time back in the UK and it's not the same now!!

Anyway, after a week of searching we have finally secured a house in Upper Coomera with a 10 - 15 min walk to school for the kids ... :) The Upper Coomera State College where they're goin is in demand which we knew from when we was here last July, but the houses anywhere near the school are getting snapped up real quick. We liked the school for many reasons, but apparently what is getting a lot of people moving in is because it's the only school in Australia that is offering 'certain' subjects. Ashley loves her Art and Dance and you can do this everywhere but Kurt has picked 'Rock Music' as one of his as he loves the guitar and the drums, but there is some I dunno ... weird subjects available for them but they've both manged to get into all they want.

We've bought a little car which is handy as the rental was a heap ...lol. 350,000 kilo's and they charged me to rent it too! ... shoulda been free! ...lol, but admittedly it WAS only a cheapie. We've got a year old little Toyota Corolla auto which is fine. 'I' wanted the Subaru but what can ya do! ... lol, but it's ok and I have to consider running cost as we are students after all.

We both started our courses on Monday and that's been ok, quite a laugh at times. I am NOT the only bloke in the class ok!!! ... :D It has been hard tho as we're at school from 9 - 4.30 and lunch breaks have been eaten up with running out to pay deposits for the car, final payments, bonds for the house, oh and whatever else has popped up!

I 'think' we're over the jet lag now, but to be honest we're all so knackered by the time the eve sets in we're all asleep by 10pm at the latest!! ... altho I must admit having breakfast in the sun at 6/7am IS nice!

We see a fair bit of rain in the early part of the week but the last few days have been lovely with high 20's temps. Even with the rain it's not so bad as you obv don't get the cold temps with it.

Woolworths is dearer than I remembered ...lol, altho it's prob cos we're on such a budget now.

Still, altho it HAS been really hectic this week, the future is looking good with the house secured and altho we'll arrive with the 5 suitcases we left with, it'll be nice.

Oh and mutters is doin ok in Sydney ... :) I've spoke to the lady who's watching him and altho she said he seems a little stressed as he runs around like a nutcase all the time, she just doesn't understand that IS how he is! ...lol. He's keeping his weight and they have no real worries with him ... :)

Speak or see you soon!

Paul

Fabulous. Glad to hear you all got there in one piece and that your lovely doggie is doing OK.

possoms Mar 27th 2006 9:49 pm

Great to hear from you Paul and that your settling in ok :)

teejay66 Mar 27th 2006 9:54 pm

Nice one guys,
Glad everything is going to plan :D

Shut up about the temperature and the sun your depressing me !! :rolleyes: :cool:

No just kiddin can't wait to get a bit of that action lol :p

Keep up the good work

cheers
Phil

DunRoaminTheUK Mar 27th 2006 9:56 pm

HELP!! ...lol

Speak or see you soon!

Paul

Nice one. Glad to hear you're getting things sorted so quickly. Give's hope to the rest of us waiting our turn.

Suni&Jay Mar 27th 2006 10:07 pm

Glad you got there safely and are having fun. Hopefully we'll be there soon.
Good Luck with your new life down under

Suni & Jay

hilary6 Mar 27th 2006 10:19 pm

Brilliant post :D

So glad its going well....keep up the good work ;)

Hilaryxx

Cheetah7 Mar 27th 2006 10:27 pm

HELP!! ...lol

Speak or see you soon!

Paul

Fantastic post Paul!

I was wondering how you were getting on.

Are you guys planning on working once you have all settled at college?

Not long now till you get your dog home!

By the time we get to Oz, we can come to you for a haircut!

Jane and Russ Middleton Mar 28th 2006 12:37 am

HELP!! ...lol

Anyway, after a week of searching we have finally secured a house in Upper Coomera with a 10 - 15 min walk to school for the kids ... The Upper Coomera State College where they're goin is in demand which we knew from when we was here last July, but the houses anywhere near the school are getting snapped up real quick. We liked the school for many reasons, but apparently what is getting a lot of people moving in is because it's the only school in Australia that is offering 'certain' subjects. Ashley loves her Art and Dance and you can do this everywhere but Kurt has picked 'Rock Music' as one of his as he loves the guitar and the drums, but there is some I dunno ... weird subjects available for them but they've both manged to get into all they want.

Speak or see you soon!

Paul

Hey me ole mate !!
So strange to think you are really there :eek: sounds as though you have been busy getting house and stuff sorted...(hope u get me wine fridge in !!!lol) we have now accepted an offer on house so IF all goes well we wont be long .......
Keep us updated
Jane xxx

Hutch Mar 28th 2006 12:49 am

Well done guys - sounds like you've had a mad time of it! :)

Juliecabs Mar 28th 2006 1:04 am

Glad you're settling in Paul.
Keep those updates coming :)
Julie. x

GinaUK Mar 28th 2006 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Glad you're settling in Paul.
Keep those updates coming :)
Julie. x

I second that! Glad it's all going well. Hope you don't find the course too taxing, :D

Gina

Gravyman Mar 28th 2006 1:51 am

Hiya Paul

Glad things are going well.

I'm sure it must be strange going back to school.

Just avoid the headmasters office:D

Graham & Sara

sme Mar 28th 2006 4:09 am

Good to hear things are going well for you all, are the kids settling in ok ?
Keep us updated as to how things are going .
Gillian

paulf Mar 28th 2006 7:10 am

Hello matey! I,m just down the road from you at the moment,
we landed saturday night and have not stopped doing things since.
Sunday drove around looking at areas to live, Tamborine, UC, Oxenford, helensvale, etc. I have decided (sort of) on Oxenford.
Monday sorted Medicare numbers out and then the Tax file numbers and more looking at houses.
and tuesday I went up into Brisbane to speak to the Plumbers and drainers board about getting a license, because all my stuff is old my application will be seen on the 23 april when the board next sit.
Then went to the dept of mines and resources (this is where Gas fitters licenses are issued) and spoke in person to the top man...and I was issued my FULL (not provisional :D ) gas license straight away.

To any gasmen out there coming here it is straight forward, you need to buy the gas regs books (aus version of our BS, and the corgi book 4) this is all at the same building where you get your license and they want to see the reciept for the books ($235) before they process the apllication.
The license it self costs $135

Today (weds) it's Schools day, we are looking at quite a few later on, must say I am knackerd and like Paul cant get past 9 o'clock at night before crashing out.
I,ll catch up with you later in the week Paul and we will have that beer in the next few weeks, maybe over easter, Rooksie and Jed will be over too by then,
Speak soon.
Paul.f