Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unwanted Tenants

Unwanted Tenants

Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:42 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Unwanted Tenants

We bought acreage on the Gold Coast, so we are a bit inland about 12-15 minutes from the coast depending on traffic. The place needs renovating, and the building report stated that there was a heavy infestation of Rats in the roof space, also that it was very likely that there were also Snakes as they feed on Rodents. We didn't worry too much as we were sure that this could be rectified with poisonous baits. Before we moved in we had the Pest bloke in to spray for Spiders, Roaches and put the baits down for the Rats. However when we moved in we soon realised that it wasn't rats but Possums living, not only in the roof space but the crawl space between the floor and ceiling. I promply surveyed the house and blocked up what I thought was all the possible entry/exit points. We spent that night with Possums either screaming to get in, or screaming to get out, and believe me, they can scream. About 2am I had to get out on a ladder and open up the places that I had carefully blocked just so we could sleep. No such luck, we have an upper and lower roof that runs around the house, and Possums like to run around the house, chasing each other around the lower level roof which is just under the bedroom windows. Next day I stayed up and waited, I watched 3 of them come out, it is 2am again, I go out and block up the holes. 4am screaming and shuffling about in the crawl spaces, there are still more trapped inside. I leave them there, thinking that they will be hungry tomorrow and will definately come out when I unblock the holes. It's surprising what a tiny hole a Possum can get through. Unsuccessful this goes on for about 2 weeks. I decide that the only solution is to trap and relocate them. I made a trap and have caught 6 up to now and relocated them about 30K's away over a motorway and 2 wide rivers in a nature reserve. We were Possum free for a couple of weeks but now there are at least 2 back. Despite blocking the smallest holes it appears that they can get in under the gaps of the roof tiles. The trap is set again, surely there is not such thing as HOMING POSSUMS!!

Slater
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unwanted Tenants

Originally posted by Slater
We bought acreage on the Gold Coast, so we are a bit inland about 12-15 minutes from the coast depending on traffic. The place needs renovating, and the building report stated that there was a heavy infestation of Rats in the roof space, also that it was very likely that there were also Snakes as they feed on Rodents. We didn't worry too much as we were sure that this could be rectified with poisonous baits. Before we moved in we had the Pest bloke in to spray for Spiders, Roaches and put the baits down for the Rats. However when we moved in we soon realised that it wasn't rats but Possums living, not only in the roof space but the crawl space between the floor and ceiling. I promply surveyed the house and blocked up what I thought was all the possible entry/exit points. We spent that night with Possums either screaming to get in, or screaming to get out, and believe me, they can scream. About 2am I had to get out on a ladder and open up the places that I had carefully blocked just so we could sleep. No such luck, we have an upper and lower roof that runs around the house, and Possums like to run around the house, chasing each other around the lower level roof which is just under the bedroom windows. Next day I stayed up and waited, I watched 3 of them come out, it is 2am again, I go out and block up the holes. 4am screaming and shuffling about in the crawl spaces, there are still more trapped inside. I leave them there, thinking that they will be hungry tomorrow and will definately come out when I unblock the holes. It's surprising what a tiny hole a Possum can get through. Unsuccessful this goes on for about 2 weeks. I decide that the only solution is to trap and relocate them. I made a trap and have caught 6 up to now and relocated them about 30K's away over a motorway and 2 wide rivers in a nature reserve. We were Possum free for a couple of weeks but now there are at least 2 back. Despite blocking the smallest holes it appears that they can get in under the gaps of the roof tiles. The trap is set again, surely there is not such thing as HOMING POSSUMS!!

Slater
Yeah yeah, but did you get a piccy of the kids cuddling a cute possum to send to the rellies in England
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I have two words for you mate.

POSS OFF!!!!

It works, get it in bunnings! good luck
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Slater the Possum Hunter
Maybe you could start up your own wildlife park
Hope everything works out for you ok.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

HEY!!...Leave us possums alone.. we are cute and cuddly creatures
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:06 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to provide them with alternative accommodations. If there are no trees left you could build them a possum house away from your house and engourage them to move in.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:12 pm
Badge

Originally posted by hevs

POSS OFF!!!!

Is this your Kiwi impression Hevs?

Badge

Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:19 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Is this your Kiwi impression Hevs?

Badge

Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:51 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by hevs

POSS OFF!!!!

We went to Bunnings and were sold a product called SCAT it's an irritant and supposed to deter Possums by irritating their skin and eyes. Guess who ended up with sore eyes and itchy skin! do not use this product above open windows.

Slater
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:58 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by Florida_03
You need to provide them with alternative accommodations. If there are no trees left you could build them a possum house away from your house and engourage them to move in.

We have about a million trees in the garden, but the little bsd's prefer to live in the house. We have 4 children, 3 of them in their teens, it beats me why Possums would put up with the constant noise when they have a nice peaceful retreat anywhere in the garden!

Slater