Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unwanted 'phone calls

Unwanted 'phone calls

Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unwanted 'phone calls

Does anyone know how I can stop receiving sales calls? In the UK I went ex-directory and withheld my number however the useless spikey gelled haired, point shoed, Telstra boy with attitude, told us it wasn't possible here.

I don't believe him as he was useless (finally got phone installed after lots of hiccups but we've told them to cancel broadband as it was becoming a joke!)

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Unwanted 'phone calls

I believe useless gell boy may be wrong!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I read the other day that people who have registered with that get, I think it was 7 telesales calls a month, compared to those who haven't getting 10.

It doesn't stop the begging calls from charities, either. Don't ever put your landline number down if you use St Vinnie's path lab. That's when the calls from the Cancer charities started, at least. The number is not registered in my name but they ask for me. (I get begging letters, too.)

Ah here's the news report: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Does anyone know how I can stop receiving sales calls? In the UK I went ex-directory and withheld my number however the useless spikey gelled haired, point shoed, Telstra boy with attitude, told us it wasn't possible here.

I don't believe him as he was useless (finally got phone installed after lots of hiccups but we've told them to cancel broadband as it was becoming a joke!)

Thanks
I have the answer phone on all the time never answer the phone unless somebody speaks to the answer phone that i know then i will answer it.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Tooterelli

Thanks
He was wrong.
Telstra charge us $2.93 per month, for a silent number.

We get Zero sales calls, and we are not on the "do not call" register.

Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
I have the answer phone on all the time never answer the phone unless somebody speaks to the answer phone that i know then i will answer it.
So this was you?:

"In fact, the language some people used to describe their reactions to telemarketing calls showed that some people feel almost physical symptoms when they pick up the phone and realise it is a telemarketer," he said.

"People talked about their heart sinking and feeling rotten in the pit of their stomach.

"One person said that they got so angry once that they slammed down the phone so hard it broke. Since that time they have never answered their calls, they always leave their answering machine [to] screen the calls."
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:21 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
He was wrong.
Telstra charge us $2.93 per month, for a silent number.

We get Zero sales calls, and we are not on the "do not call" register.

I have never quite understood why it costs Telstra nearly $3/month to NOT include you in White Pages.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
I have never quite understood why it costs Telstra nearly $3/month to NOT include you in White Pages.
Telstra spokesman Peter Taylor said "Maintaining silent numbers is far more complex than simply crossing out a number in an address book".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...096030980.html

I can't find this option on the Telstra website any more. Just wondering if they no longer offer it, other than to existing customers that already have it ?

Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:52 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Telstra spokesman Peter Taylor said "Maintaining silent numbers is far more complex than simply crossing out a number in an address book".

?
Hmmm... I bet it costs more than than $2.93 to provide all the people and the databases etc that make numbers publis; funny how they are not charged for that service sbut those who want to be exlcuded are charged costs.

Telstra are just rip off merchants.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit when I signed up with Telstra I did give the lady a bit of an ear bashing as to why they would charge for being ex directory.

Saying that we have had our line since March and have not had one sales call. Until I have just jinxed myself at least lol.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

we registered with donotcall stopped 90% of them
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Being home most of the time due to unemployment, i noticed we get marketing calls about once a week. What i dont get is that its usually other telephone companies looking for me to change to their service. Why would telephone companies be ok with this?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:07 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

When I was out of work I loved the calls, I'd have a great chat with them, then when they try to get down to the questions I'd have to go...
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:57 am
Karma Comedian

Asking for the telemarketers home phone number to call them back when they are having their dinner can be effective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.