Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unskilled work from home?

Unskilled work from home?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Hullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura about
Default Unskilled work from home?

Hi all,

We've been here in Perth for a few years now, and looking at getting a bigger mortgage. The missus wants to help by getting a job working from home.

Only problem is, I've never heard any good reports of such work. Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Unskilled work from home?

I've never heard anything good about the advertised work from home schemes either.

I do however see lots of adds in our local paper (in Brisbane) for jobs ironing at home and that sort of thing. Don't know many people that would fancy ironing all day though.

A better long range alternative would be to take some book keeping courses and try and do book keeping from home.

Another alternative would be to watch children during the day. I always see adds for family day cares that will train you and help get you set up if you're interested in starting one at home.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hullfcfans
Hi all,

We've been here in Perth for a few years now, and looking at getting a bigger mortgage. The missus wants to help by getting a job working from home.

Only problem is, I've never heard any good reports of such work. Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks!
If it involves a camera don't go there.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

if she's got good typing ability she could do what i do and work for local businesses offering typing services, or work for a transcription company (do a google as there are a few in Oz). if you can put in the hours the money can be excellent (when I was full time I was clearing $3K a month for transcriptions)
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

qmt8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
if she's got good typing ability she could do what i do and work for local businesses offering typing services, or work for a transcription company (do a google as there are a few in Oz). if you can put in the hours the money can be excellent (when I was full time I was clearing $3K a month for transcriptions)
Hi, I would definitely be interested in this. Could you possibly let me know which companies you worked with? And you can definitely do this from home? Thanks in advance, may
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i work for uk companies still but best bet is contact a load of this type of company http://www.thetranscriptionpeople.co...mployment.html (google as there are quite a few in Oz).

also when i was in the UK i sent out hundreds of letters to small businesses (estate agents, surveyors - anyone I thought might need a spare pair of hands) and got a good few clients. if you're really serious an ad in yellow pages works wonders too.

i find i earn heaps more working for the transcription people (assuming there is regular work available of course) but it's nice to have the variety of different stuff.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
i work for uk companies still but best bet is contact a load of this type of company http://www.thetranscriptionpeople.co...mployment.html (google as there are quite a few in Oz).

also when i was in the UK i sent out hundreds of letters to small businesses (estate agents, surveyors - anyone I thought might need a spare pair of hands) and got a good few clients. if you're really serious an ad in yellow pages works wonders too.

i find i earn heaps more working for the transcription people (assuming there is regular work available of course) but it's nice to have the variety of different stuff.

Hope that helps
Just been on their site, I have done audio typing but not all the stuff on their site, just this second tested my speeds - I am around 85wpm because I lose speeds quickly if im not at work.

I wonder if they would consider me?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

it's worth emailing them to find out.... usually you get a test go and see how you fair... good luck
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.salesforceathome.com.au/

This is a legit work from home company.

May not suit all but sure to suit some.

Cheers and good luck if you apply.