Unpaid super?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unpaid super?

Just what you need when you have to return to work after a blissful 3 weeks off - I receive a letter from SunSuper stating no super has been paid by my employer for over 12mths! I call my colleague - she gets hold of her super fund to find nothings been paid in hers for over 12mths too! I contact our manager - he states he's "sorting it". Go into work today to find my boss all in a tizz, shes had to arrange for an accountant to come in as shes going to be fined loads by the ATO for with holding super amounting to over $23,000! She states she never knew anything about it and the manager had forgotten to pay it!

Some of my collegaues are in a worst position as they've been contributing part of their wages to their super funds - or so they thought as theres now a huge query over where this money has gone????

So what do I do? Who do i get hold of to complain? Do we get owed the interest too?

To top it all, my boss comes in and 'asks' myself and the other nurses if we would 'kindly' reduce our hours as she now has no money to pay us cos of this super thingy??? WTF??? Surely thats not our fault or problem and we're all contracted to work certain hours. One Dr's quit, one receptionist has quit and 1 nurse has quit all in a week! Oh happy days
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid super?

Originally Posted by glittababe
Just what you need when you have to return to work after a blissful 3 weeks off - I receive a letter from SunSuper stating no super has been paid by my employer for over 12mths! I call my colleague - she gets hold of her super fund to find nothings been paid in hers for over 12mths too! I contact our manager - he states he's "sorting it". Go into work today to find my boss all in a tizz, shes had to arrange for an accountant to come in as shes going to be fined loads by the ATO for with holding super amounting to over $23,000! She states she never knew anything about it and the manager had forgotten to pay it!

Some of my collegaues are in a worst position as they've been contributing part of their wages to their super funds - or so they thought as theres now a huge query over where this money has gone????

So what do I do? Who do i get hold of to complain? Do we get owed the interest too?

To top it all, my boss comes in and 'asks' myself and the other nurses if we would 'kindly' reduce our hours as she now has no money to pay us cos of this super thingy??? WTF??? Surely thats not our fault or problem and we're all contracted to work certain hours. One Dr's quit, one receptionist has quit and 1 nurse has quit all in a week! Oh happy days

Common problem, happened to R about three times now. I thought his fund chased it up for him. Know he always gets it - eventually. Think what happens is a lot of employers stock pile it for a while, imagine it all in the bank earning them a nice 8% interest. Mind you wouldnt worry, all super did the last few months was go a big backwards, its probably better off being paid in late

RIng the fund and ask what govvy dept regulates employers who dont pay,
theres bound to be some process.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...p=001&st=&cy=1
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - just been on and had a look, gonna give em a call tomorrow! Deep joy X
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - just been on and had a look, gonna give em a call tomorrow! Deep joy X

No problem - I knew where to look.

Let us know how you get on
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
No problem - I knew where to look.

Let us know how you get on
Will do - seems to be one thing after another! First the debit card fraud then this! Hopefully it'll all be sorted by the end of the month and a fresh start for April - maybe I'm being too optimistic!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you need to contact ATO immediately. Bad news is, it will not be over in a month. Mine dragged on for 12 months before it was sorted. Also, mention about the lost interest you have not earned while your scumbag of an employer has not been paying into your fund.

Ian....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

"Hey broken nose, play the piano"

"I aint got no broken nose"

Thump....crack.

"Will Sidesaddle do?"

Tinkle tinkle tinkle.

I heard they pay the Super on time in Cairns.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:49 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ianha77
Yes you need to contact ATO immediately. Bad news is, it will not be over in a month. Mine dragged on for 12 months before it was sorted. Also, mention about the lost interest you have not earned while your scumbag of an employer has not been paying into your fund.

Ian....
You were lucky, mine took nearly 2 years.

ATO will chase it through to conclusion but you will get no information on this until it has finished as its an action by them against a defaulter (your employer) they consider it to be a confidential tax issue between them and your employer, althought you will get what they recover it will be a frustrating wait.

The ATO will levy fines against your company (super annuation guarentee charge) and will also change them interest on your behalf for any unpaid superannuation. I think that the rate of interest they use is 9% but obviously your unit trust would have doubled over the last 3 years so not a great deal for you.

It only takes one employee complaint to the ATO to trigger an audit of the whole company so this is probably out of your hands. If your company were to pay the superannuation now that would not stop someone reporting them to the ATO later either, late payment does not absolve them from the super annuation guarentee charge and interest on late payments so they may end up paying everyone twice (seriously), they cannot fix this without ATO involvement.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to consider seeking alternative employment, if this is the kind of employer you have.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Bl*#dy Hell A!!

What next?

Seems it's time to look for another job?

None of these GP's seem to be working out as decent employers do they?

Could you try agency work for a few decent $$$ and where you can choose your shifts/locations?

M
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kitty4
Bl*#dy Hell A!!

What next?

Seems it's time to look for another job?

None of these GP's seem to be working out as decent employers do they?

Could you try agency work for a few decent $$$ and where you can choose your shifts/locations?

M
Funny enough received the paperwork through from RNS this morning! Its mainly hospital work - but I don't mind really could do with a change of scenery! Offered a job with Noosa Health centres - all ready to go then i bumped into one of their nurses at BigW! She told me don't touch with a bargepole! They never pay on time, always miscalulate wages provide no educational support! Hours fluctuate too - apparently they try and keep you below 32 hrs otherwise they have to put you on a permanent part time contract.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.....if that money had been invested in your super fund over the last 12 months then you would probably find you lost a big chunk of it with the stock market falling 25%!

At least if you end up investing the lump sum now (or soon) you might stand to get a decent return......hope so anyway!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:13 am
Just Joined

knottm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi glittababe and everyone,

I am currently studying journalism at UTS in Sydney and am a freelance writer. I'm writing a story on unpaid super as I think it's a really important, undercovered area.

If anyone could tell me a bit about their experiences in this area that would be awesome and I'll owe you a huge one.

You can email me at <snip>

Cheers!

Matthew

Edited to remove email address. Click on the email this member to contact. Please don't include email addresses in posts