Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlocking your mobile - try it first.

Unlocking your mobile - try it first.

Old May 26th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unlocking your mobile - try it first.

Hello all...

A little tip regarding mobile phones for you.

I have a mobile that was on an O2 contract that finished last month. I have phoned O2 and swapped it onto pay-as-you-go.

I was going to go into town this afternoon, and pay my local friendly market-trader mobile stand £10 to unlock it so I can buy an Ozzy pay-as-you-go sim once we are over there.

I thought I would phone O2 first, just to see what they charge to do a remote unlock from their end.

The chap told me that it is £15 - but he said to try another sim in it first, as he said O2 haven't been locking their phones in the first place for some time now.

So, I borrowed my buddies Vodafone sim, and voila - no problem.

So - my advice today is to try someone else's sim from another mobile operator in your phone, before you shell out to have it un-necessarily unlocked.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Re: Unlocking your mobile - try it first.

That's good to know but the real test will be when you put that Aussie sim card in. Still, it sounds 99% likely that will work.
Have you researched which phone provider will fit your needs?
Old May 26th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
That's good to know but the real test will be when you put that Aussie sim card in. Still, it sounds 99% likely that will work.
Have you researched which phone provider will fit your needs?
I havnt looked into Ozzie providers at all yet. I just want something that's cheap to text the other half.

We barely use our mobiles here - mainly just to give each other a quick call if we get lost in the supermarket.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Oh OK. I think I will probably get a A$2 Vodafone card from Woolworths when I land and see how that goes before committing my soul.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:26 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Hello all...

I have a mobile that was on an O2 contract that finished last month. I have phoned O2 and swapped it onto pay-as-you-go.

I was going to go into town this afternoon, and pay my local friendly market-trader mobile stand £10 to unlock it so I can buy an Ozzy pay-as-you-go sim once we are over there.

I thought I would phone O2 first, just to see what they charge to do a remote unlock from their end.

The chap told me that it is £15 - but he said to try another sim in it first, as he said O2 haven't been locking their phones in the first place for some time now.

So - my advice today is to try someone else's sim from another mobile operator in your phone, before you shell out to have it un-necessarily unlocked.
Another word of warning, gave my O2 phone to my hubby many months ago cause his was on it's last chips, he had it unlocked and can use it to take pictures, clips etc with his vodafone sim but he can't receive or send any MMS's

Jen
Old May 26th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

When we got our last contrct phone at Carphone Warehouse one of the things we required was that it would need to be unlocked. The guy there told us Vodafone and O2 contract phones are always unlocked. Our O2 ones definitely were (checked in the first couple of days so I could return them to him if they weren't). This was about 3 years ago.
Shouldn't be any problem with Aussie Sim cards as long as you don't try to put a 2G card in a 3G phone or vice versa (and even they you'll probaby be OK).
Old May 26th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MMS's require a data plan using either GPRS or 3G. Maybe the network plan you have doesn't have a data component? Can he send and receive SMSs?
Old May 26th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JenJen
Another word of warning, gave my O2 phone to my hubby many months ago cause his was on it's last chips, he had it unlocked and can use it to take pictures, clips etc with his vodafone sim but he can't receive or send any MMS's

Jen
He will need to phone Vodaphone - they will send an SMS message to the phone to put in the correct MMS settings for Vodaphone on that particular phone.

My O2 contract is swapping to pay-as-you-go, ( still with O2 ), on Tuesday - yet they said I will need to call them afterwards so they can re-send the MMS settings back to the phone so I can send pictures via the pay-as-you-go sim.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:18 am
Account Closed

He will need to phone Vodaphone - they will send an SMS message to the phone to put in the correct MMS settings for Vodaphone on that particular phone.

My O2 contract is swapping to pay-as-you-go, ( still with O2 ), on Tuesday - yet they said I will need to call them afterwards so they can re-send the MMS settings back to the phone so I can send pictures via the pay-as-you-go sim.
oooh ok thanks that would explain it, where you been the last 10 months
Old May 27th 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

yeah , alot of phone will run with other sim cards but maybe not fully .

i had vodafone sims in virgin phones n they been fine & just latly o2 sim in vodafone phone with no probs but if you chance it in oz , its may not work
Old May 27th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries.

Actually, the last 10 months I have been up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down etc etc etc. Up at the moment, ( we make our move over to Melbourne in 13 weeks and 6 days ).

Just waiting for the next down day. Although, to be fair, they are getting lass as we get closer.

No doubt that last week will be a biggy on the old mental wellbeing.

Hope you manage to get the phone sorted.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

No worries.

Actually, the last 10 months I have been up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down etc etc etc. Up at the moment, ( we make our move over to Melbourne in 13 weeks and 6 days ).

Just waiting for the next down day. Although, to be fair, they are getting lass as we get closer.

No doubt that last week will be a biggy on the old mental wellbeing.

Hope you manage to get the phone sorted.
Oh I so know where you're coming from if you turn round I'm behind you on that rollercoaster - look see i'm waving

Thankyou muchly

Take care and who knows may pass you In Melb in a few months or may not...lol

Jen
Old May 27th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JenJen
Oh I so know where you're coming from if you turn round I'm behind you on that rollercoaster - look see i'm waving

Thankyou muchly

Take care and who knows may pass you In Melb in a few months or may not...lol

Jen

No probs.

When do you arrive in Melbourne?

We leave the UK on 1st September - we're travelling across America, then Peru and onto New Zealand. We land in Melbourne on 22nd October after what we be an exhausting trip of almost 8 weeks.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!! Bring it on
Old May 27th 2007, 11:33 am
Account Closed

No probs.

When do you arrive in Melbourne?

We leave the UK on 1st September - we're travelling across America, then Peru and onto New Zealand. We land in Melbourne on 22nd October after what we be an exhausting trip of almost 8 weeks.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!! Bring it on
If we go it'll be sometime between September and December.

Sounds like you'll be bored for 8 weeks lmao

Jen
Old May 27th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hello all...

If you are with vodafone you can also say that you are moving countries and that are going to switch to Vodafone AU. Ours were unblocked for free. Just remember to get the sms, mms and data settings texted to your mobile once you put in the Australia sim.

Regards

J