Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

Originally Posted by Penny45
Ha! Don't you remember saying to parents 'but everybody else can go to party/stay out late/sleep over/go to concert etc etc'? It's EVEN worse now when they're older. They break down all defences you know! I had 'but everyone else has smart phone/I've moved to another country, it's important to keep in touch with my old friends/my new friends need to get hold of me/party invites come on facebook blah blah blah'.
My little one (12) has smart phone but can't be bothered to sort data settings out. The older one (15) never has the blackberry more than 2 feet away from her, we do extract at night after learning the hard way (another long story).
Once they get given laptops in secondary school then there's no controlling their internet usage anyway, unless you are constantly looking over their shoulder.
it sounds like a case of nomophobia?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:47 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78

Think we fall into that category too
It's all good in the end
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I thought this was a good deal for anyone with kids who go over the monthly usage on their mobiles.

$39.00 per month for unlimited calls to all standard calls, mobiles, voicemail, sms, mms, 1300 & 1800 + $GB of data.

I currently pay $29.00/month and my son stays below the cap (just) but those who's kids are costing them a fortune every month, this could work?

http://www.redbullmobile.com.au/pre-paid/prepaid-plans/

(Sorry MODS, this isn't meant to be a free advert!)
...also consider TPG SIM only plans ~ $17 pm good call / data cap. Or else iinet.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Doesnt look like they have that plan for newcomers now.... No 5GB on there at all.

I plan to use spotify on my mobile and even 5GB probably wont cover it.
wow, that was swift then, I only got my new deal with them 3 weeks ago!!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to chip in and say that for those who are heavy users (or self-employed), Amaysim is worth a look too: $39 unlimited domestic calls, 4gb of data, pretty cheap international rates (UK landline for 6c a min), on Optus network (not bloody Vodafone) and no contract (but no "discounted" phones either).
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Just wanted to chip in and say that for those who are heavy users (or self-employed), Amaysim is worth a look too: $39 unlimited domestic calls, 4gb of data, pretty cheap international rates (UK landline for 6c a min), on Optus network (not bloody Vodafone) and no contract (but no "discounted" phones either).
Amaysim have a much better help desk than Pennytel. Although Pennytel are trying, if you do manage to get through to their help desk and if you can understand them, it becomes a very interesting experience.

I received my Pennysim about 9 days ago. Placed it in my phone.... no signal, no information on the packaging, So I waited. 3 days later, and with some time on my hands I had a good look at the whirlpool site... a much better way of gaining help than using Pennytels help desk usually. Turns out I'm supposed to have a activation code.... Which means phoning Pennytel is unavoidable. So with trepidation and realising I'm only going to able to understand 60pct of their accents I phone them and much to my surprise, get through to their technical dept who ask me for my Mobile Number and Usim number and give me the activation code and then ask me to activate the phone on the spot. It works straight away.... Blimey I thinks to myself they have improved. Although there is the issue that I berate them mildly for, of no information about activation or codes in their welcome pack.

Well the phone calls work..... but no data. So I wait again... Back onto the Whirlpool site, try the sim in other unlocked phones... again no good. Try every combination of APN setting that Whirlpool suggest to no avail... Phone Pennytel get onto their help desk, after 20 mins of phone call they assure me everything should be working and it could be Vodafone taking their time to activate me. Wait another 2 days... phone them again... this time 30 mins on the phone, going over the obvious... then I get through to their technical dept who, after chatting to a heavily accented person, tells me they will make a priority case for me. Hangs up disillusioned and ready to try another carrier... put the sim back in the phone..... Blimey its working.

Now if you can put up with the above which is a typical Pennytel experience then they are cheaper. 35 bucks to Amaysims 39.90 and 1 gig of data extra per month. Their voip service is really good now, and by far the cheapest out there..... Good luck if you develop a problem though. If you are brave enough to use them and develop a problem, just type the problem into google with "whirlpool" in the query line, and you'll likely get through to someone who would had the problem solved by the people on the Whirlpool site.

It's up to you

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 14th 2012 at 6:19 pm.