Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

Old May 31st 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Unlimited Mobile Calls for $39/month

I have discovered WhatsApp & Viber. They are both free to text & call other people with the apps installed. They don't use much data so work out considerably cheaper than the phone providers text/call rates to use.

I finally managed to get one of my kids (out of the 3 teenage ones) to also install Viber on his phone which means I can call his mobile in the UK for free (well tiny amount of data usage if I'm out of the house, if I'm home it's on the WiFi ) & my sons ex girlfriend (in the UK) has WhatsApp installed & we text for hours on end some days. Several friends here also have WhatsApp & Viber so I use that to text instead of using up my credit.

I pay $29 a month + $5 addition data & probably only use a quarter of my data package. So well worth looking in to the apps.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

They are good but as far as I know Viber is only iphone to iphone? My daughter has whatsapp on blackberry though and that's good as she's on unlimited data.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
They are good but as far as I know Viber is only iphone to iphone? My daughter has whatsapp on blackberry though and that's good as she's on unlimited data.
No, Viber is with Android as well.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's really good to know. Will get my pals onto it asap
Old May 31st 2012, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yehp tis good to know, not heard of it before. Looks like I finally getting back into the Mobile phone owning fraternity. Spoiling myself with a Galaxy Note, (couldnt resist the 5.3 inch screen) so I can chat to the folks back home on Skype... this also means I'll be able to post on here 24/7... from work whilst on nights as well LOL.

It's quite difficult to keep up with the App's and services that come out. IE: Whilst ordering the note today I learnt about "ring back" on Voice mail... you put in 1219 or similar number and from that point on when you get voicemail ringing you back. Vodaphone in our case rings you back, saving you from any voicemail access charges... which can add up.

I've been with 3 since the old onetel days... which meant I was able to secure a pretty good deal... got the note on the 29 dollar plan plus 7 dollars for the handset instead of 15.

I'm madly going to work out which provider I put the note on once I unlock it.... I may try and go Data only.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I've used both WhatsApp and Viber, intermittently.
Viber is ok but is just really a walkie talkie!! But nice to hear a voice I suppose! WhatsApp again is ok, but now I get unlimited texts and Social media its hardly worth it for me.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Pennytel have beaten Redbulls deal... 35 dollars per month unlimited and 5 gigs per month no contract.

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/plans

I'm looking at their data only plan for 14 bucks per month..... I think I need android 4 to make a android phone work automatically as a phone on a data only sim. On a steep learning curve here.

How do phones upgrade their android OS's ?

Trustworth company Pennytel.... I can vouch for them being very cheap and providing half decent service...most of the time. Dont expect brilliant back up from them though. I'd recommend them to people that can generally fix their own problems.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 1st 2012 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Looks like Pennytel have beaten Redbulls deal... 35 dollars per month unlimited and 5 gigs per month no contract.

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/plans

I'm looking at their data only plan for 14 bucks per month..... I think I need android 4 to make a android phone work automatically as a phone on a data only sim. On a steep learning curve here.

How do phones upgrade their android OS's ?

Trustworth company Pennytel.... I can vouch for them being very cheap and providing half decent service...most of the time. Dont expect brilliant back up from them though. I'd recommend them to people that can generally fix their own problems.
Who do they piggyback off?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who do they piggyback off?
Vodaphone I think.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I've got an unlocked iphone - currently with a $29 big cap monthly plan from Virgin (got another phone with the plan and gave it to hubby to use on a PAYG basis) - No problem with service but only 500 gig of data and I got very burned one Month when I went over ( $293 bill) to the extent that I am v reluctant to use mobile data at all, having to constantly check what I've used.

Virgin contract is about to expire - they're obviously trying to offer me a new phone if I take out another contract.

Sounds like I should be on one of these unrestricted plans but to be honest i'm confused as to what I should go for - I'm not a huge data user, but like to check emails during the day, facebook and also make use of maps/directions. Lots of texts, a few phone calls and it would be lovely to ring interstate without worrying about $. Won't be using the phone for international calls

Recommendations anyone??
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Who'd do it, huh?
In my experience, people who kind of assumed that holiday sex didn't count.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I've got an unlocked iphone - currently with a $29 big cap monthly plan from Virgin (got another phone with the plan and gave it to hubby to use on a PAYG basis) - No problem with service but only 500 gig of data and I got very burned one Month when I went over ( $293 bill) to the extent that I am v reluctant to use mobile data at all, having to constantly check what I've used.

Virgin contract is about to expire - they're obviously trying to offer me a new phone if I take out another contract.

Sounds like I should be on one of these unrestricted plans but to be honest i'm confused as to what I should go for - I'm not a huge data user, but like to check emails during the day, facebook and also make use of maps/directions. Lots of texts, a few phone calls and it would be lovely to ring interstate without worrying about $. Won't be using the phone for international calls

Recommendations anyone??
again....I used my unlocked iPhone for the Live Connect deal..check them out and see what deal suits you. They keep changing them but all are good value, mine is $25 a month with 5GB included.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
again....I used my unlocked iPhone for the Live Connect deal..check them out and see what deal suits you. They keep changing them but all are good value, mine is $25 a month with 5GB included.
Doesnt look like they have that plan for newcomers now.... No 5GB on there at all.

I plan to use spotify on my mobile and even 5GB probably wont cover it.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by DeadVim
In my personal experience, idiots who kind of assumed that holiday sex didn't count.
Edited it for you
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:56 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
In my experience, people who kind of assumed that holiday sex didn't count.

Think we fall into that category too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.