Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University transfers help

University transfers help

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Default University transfers help

Has anyone transferred from A UK university course to one in Australia
or even is it possible
I think I understand that a PR visa classes you as a home student so international student fees dont apply but is it possible to transfer and apply within Australia if on your parents PR visa (feeling optomistic) any advice at all would be gratefully received
thanks mary
Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:51 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: University transfers help

Hi Mary -

My partner is in the process of transferring to an Australian course (as a PR holder). He's had quite a lot of contact with the university (UWA), and they've been quite helpful. It looks like quite a bit (if not all) of what he's done in the UK will transfer over, although they won't officially tell him how much of his work will transfer over until he is officially accepted (which should be in January). He was told that they will look at exactly what he did in the UK, and then give him credit for any similar units that they offer.

It would probably be worth getting in touch with any prospective universities and seeing what they say about the work you've done in the UK.

As a PR holder you are classed as a home student (although you won't be eligible for HECS).

-Sara.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Originally Posted by saraliz
Hi Mary -

My partner is in the process of transferring to an Australian course (as a PR holder). He's had quite a lot of contact with the university (UWA), and they've been quite helpful. It looks like quite a bit (if not all) of what he's done in the UK will transfer over, although they won't officially tell him how much of his work will transfer over until he is officially accepted (which should be in January). He was told that they will look at exactly what he did in the UK, and then give him credit for any similar units that they offer.

It would probably be worth getting in touch with any prospective universities and seeing what they say about the work you've done in the UK.

As a PR holder you are classed as a home student (although you won't be eligible for HECS).

-Sara.
Thanks sara thats really useful at least I now have a start point PS what is HECS ??
Mary
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:03 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

HECS (http://www.hecs.gov.uk) is essentially a government-funded student loan. I believe it is similar to student loans in the UK, in that you only start paying it back once you earn above a certain amount.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marysidey
Has anyone transferred from A UK university course to one in Australia
or even is it possible
I think I understand that a PR visa classes you as a home student so international student fees dont apply but is it possible to transfer and apply within Australia if on your parents PR visa (feeling optomistic) any advice at all would be gratefully received
thanks mary
Do you hold PR yourself?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bondipom
Do you hold PR yourself?
waiting for the final decision !!
Mary