Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University Options for A PGCE(Postgraduate certificate of education)

University Options for A PGCE(Postgraduate certificate of education)

Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

butchie1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University Options for A PGCE(Postgraduate certificate of education)

I am currently coming to the end of my university time and I am aiming to do a PGCE (Postgraduate certificate of education) in Australia. I will be finishing my current course( Sports development with Physical education) in may/ july of next year. Would anyone be able to tell me which universities do this course( PGCE) and which are the higher regarded?When would be the best time to apply?Which cities would you recommend?I have come from a multicultural back ground and so an area (if that is possible) would be best but not essential.
Regards
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:39 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Options for A PGCE(Postgraduate certificate of education)

Originally Posted by butchie1988
I am currently coming to the end of my university time and I am aiming to do a PGCE (Postgraduate certificate of education) in Australia. I will be finishing my current course( Sports development with Physical education) in may/ july of next year. Would anyone be able to tell me which universities do this course( PGCE) and which are the higher regarded?When would be the best time to apply?Which cities would you recommend?I have come from a multicultural back ground and so an area (if that is possible) would be best but not essential.
Regards
It's a graduate diploma in education here and most if not all universities do it. It's about 10 months, start in February and if you are an international student will set you back around $15,000. The rest is up to you - what sort of city do you prefer - what is your budget?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Options for A PGCE(Postgraduate certificate of education)

Some unis offer mid-year entry as well, 2nd semester usually starts end July.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I'm doing a Masters in Teaching in Perth/Fremantle (2 years). I paid $2400 for last semester 5 units and $1940 for this semester as a Commonwealth Supported student. The fees are on the University websites - if you pay the semester fees upfront (ie the first 2 weeks of the semester) you get 20% discount.

I heard that they may be changing the Grad Dip Ed to a 2 year course - but I may be wrong.

Application cut-offs for some of the Perth Unis is mid-November for a Feb start. My uni does allow mid-year entry (Aug).
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Latrobe Uni Bendigo Campus in Victoria is a popular one for the course you intend to do. Its a one year course. Because of where it is it offers all the outdoor stuff that is required for the course. Mountains, snow, rivers etc.

Both my children did post grad education there and the reason I know about the sport angle is because my daughter was friends with a lot of Canadians who had come to do the course and were in her uni lodgings.

Both of them absolutely loved their post grad year in Bendigo.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by galba
I heard that they may be changing the Grad Dip Ed to a 2 year course - but I may be wrong.
You're absolutely right. I think that next year will be the last 1 year Graduate Diploma's and Bachelor of Teaching.

I'm currently studying for the BTeach at UTS (Sydney) and really enjoying it there. They don't do midyear intake, but I did see quite a few that did.

The place to search when looking to apply is UAC, universities admissions centre.

The commonwealth supported places (and lower fees) are only available to permanent residents or citizens, and only citizens get the 20% discount for paying upfront. I'm only PR so have to pay upfront and don't get the discount.

Good luck.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:53 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
You're absolutely right. I think that next year will be the last 1 year Graduate Diploma's and Bachelor of Teaching.

I'm currently studying for the BTeach at UTS (Sydney) and really enjoying it there. They don't do midyear intake, but I did see quite a few that did.

The place to search when looking to apply is UAC, universities admissions centre.

The commonwealth supported places (and lower fees) are only available to permanent residents or citizens, and only citizens get the 20% discount for paying upfront. I'm only PR so have to pay upfront and don't get the discount.

Good luck.
Do you know the reason why they are stopping the one year dip Ed?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Do you know the reason why they are stopping the one year dip Ed?
Not sure, but they announced it at some point during our course. All I know is that the course we're doing, although only a 1 year full-time course, it's 18 months worth of material. Maybe people aren't coping with the workload, but more likely is they've put more demands on the minimum things to be covered.