University Info

Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Re: University Info

Originally Posted by 2plus3
Hi thanks for the info.

You say 'if you don't get one of these places ..' does that mean there are only so many CSP places on offer for each course or if we don't meet the requirements for CSP, which I'm sure we do as we have PR visas?

Regards,

Kari
Hi, yes I could be wrong but I think that each course only has so many CSP places available for a particular course. If eligible you can apply but you have to wait for the first round offers which for 2010 (starting March) have just been published. This applies to all students applying every year not just PR. Basically they offer them to those that get the best scores for their course, for most students this works out OK but it isn't a given.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Sorry for all the questions

It isn't clear from the Uni site if the $5,680 is per semester or per year http://www.deakin.edu.au/future-stud...keywords=sport any ideas anyone??

Kari x
This is probably per year, per semester would make it quite expensive for a sports course, although at $ 5600 it would be one of the cheapest on offer also.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:48 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Level 1 units can easily be transferred Level 2 a lot harder but can be transferred.

I wouldn't pay attention to the Aussie Rankings ANu is number 1 as a research facility not many students would choose to go there.

Also Australian Unis are not far off Uk Standards if not equal. Everyone knows those rankings are biased towards US and UK universities.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for replies so far.

One other question, my son doesn't finish his college BTEC National Diploma course here until June - he's predicted to get at least an AAB equivalent By June would it be too late for him to sign up for a uni course starting in Melbourne next year?

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies so far.

One other question, my son doesn't finish his college BTEC National Diploma course here until June - he's predicted to get at least an AAB equivalent By June would it be too late for him to sign up for a uni course starting in Melbourne next year?

Thanks
The uni year starts in March so he will be applying for a place in 2011. Here applications don't usually start until September and close around November so he will be fine for next year. You will need to get the qualification assessed for an ENTER score by whichever state he is applying to for uni and for this he will need his actual certificate not just the grade slip issued initially. This can be a problem as these often don't arrive until November so ask the college or school about this, we had to have our sons A level certificate couriered over so that we could get this done.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:51 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Was it your choice to wait for citizenship so that you could have entitlement to both CSP and HECs? I was under the impression that he would be entitled to CSP as we have PR?

Regards
Kari
Hi Kari

It was my choice to wait as I wanted HEC's. I applied as soon as we got here but I was on hubbys 457 visa and they wanted me to pay international fees (which were about 10 times more). I applied for PR, as It used to be PR but they changed to to citizens only, so I waited again so I could have HECS, I know a student who was PR on same course as me and she was having to pay her fees upfront in full each semester with no discount as she couldnt get HECS, I am not 100% about CSP. I was under the impression that they were only for certain degrees eg. Teaching, nursing, social work and for Aus Citizens. Although I could be wrong, maybe someone else will know the answer to this?

Laura

Last edited by lauralollipop; Jan 20th 2010 at 5:54 am.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi Kari

It was my choice to wait as I wanted HEC's. I applied as soon as we got here but I was on hubbys 457 visa and they wanted me to pay international fees (which were about 10 times more). I applied for PR, as It used to be PR but they changed to to citizens only, so I waited again so I could have HECS, I know a student who was PR on same course as me and she was having to pay her fees upfront in full each semester with no discount as she couldnt get HECS, I am not 100% about CSP. I was under the impression that they were only for certain degrees eg. Teaching, nursing, social work and for Aus Citizens. Although I could be wrong, maybe someone else will know the answer to this?

Laura
CSP are usually available in limited numbers for most courses, but places are not guaranteed.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info

K xx
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Level 1 units can easily be transferred Level 2 a lot harder but can be transferred.

I wouldn't pay attention to the Aussie Rankings ANu is number 1 as a research facility not many students would choose to go there.
A great number of students would choose to go to ANU.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Just a point raise if you are thinking of sending your son to the UK (in case you don't already know).

If you have been living outside the EU for the 3 years immediate to the start of university you are counted as an International student and will have to pay international fees. Even if you are a British citizen. This can throw the fees right up for a degree.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iolande
Just a point raise if you are thinking of sending your son to the UK (in case you don't already know).

If you have been living outside the EU for the 3 years immediate to the start of university you are counted as an International student and will have to pay international fees. Even if you are a British citizen. This can throw the fees right up for a degree.
Hi JAJ

Thanks for the info but we are still living in the UK so no problem there.

Kari
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Hi JAJ

Thanks for the info but we are still living in the UK so no problem there.

Kari
no problems - I was just thinking that some people want to go on to a Master or PhD so it becomes an issue then.