Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University forms HELP

University forms HELP

Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default University forms HELP

Hi there

We are moving to Coolangatta in July but our 19 year old son is staying in the UK to complete his degree at Leeds University.

We have just received the forms for his 2004/5 student loan and are completely baffled.

Is there anyone out there who is going through this...child at uni in UK and parents living in another country and if so...how the hell do you fill in the forms.

I have contacted the helpline and they are no help whatsoever.

Many thanks

Sharon :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Last edited by Pasquill; Apr 6th 2004 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Bumped this back up just in case anyone can help
Old Apr 9th 2004, 3:40 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

what sort of questions are causing you problems?
Old Apr 9th 2004, 3:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't worry too much about the form; they just really want an address where they can begin to track your son down in case he defaults from paying his loan in a few year's time!

We left the UK over nine years ago, but our daughter returned to boarding school to take her "A" levels and after taking a 'Gap Year' went to uni in London last September. She doesn't really have a 'home' in England (our house is rented out) and we listed my mum's house as her 'home' in England. Initially there was a problem as we thought we had to go through Essex County Council (where we have our house) which then approves the application for her to get a loan from the Student Loan Company. The papers were returned to us by Essex CC as we haven't lived there for many years, so we had to apply via the council education dept. for the city where my mum lives.

Her Student loan came through a bit later, and she is getting through it at a rapid rate - we have to top it up so she can get by.

Basically all we did on the Student Loan Company application was to write our non-UK address and also included my mother's address - which basically is a point of contact. There is no way my widowed mother would be in a position to be any sort of guarantor on any loans. If you're not sure, just staple a covering note explaining the circumstances to the loan application form - but you must put a UK address on the form - presumably your son will be turning up to visit a close relative/grandparent from time to time in England? If so, use their address (but do ask for their permission first, and if they're worried, put it in writing to your relative - and sign it - that they are not acting as a guarantor for any loans, but are only agreeing to forward any correspondence to the student from the SLC).

Hope this helps.