Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University education for British child on a family visa

University education for British child on a family visa

Old Oct 27th 2021, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Knewmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University education for British child on a family visa

Hello I am a new Zealand citizen married to a Scot living in Glasgow. I previously lived in Perth WA from 2009 to 2018. My question is around student fees for my step son. He is 11 years old now and a British citizen. I can get my him and my wife the partner of a NZ citizen visa (461 visa) but this visa does not lead to permanent residency. From what I see I will have to live in Australia for 5 years to get myself permanent residency before I can get them a visa to get their residency. Obviously this is going to extend the time it takes to get them both residency and ultimately citizenship. From what I can see if he is on the 461 visa and wanting to study at university he will have to pay international student fees. Has anyone had a similar experience to this and were they able to somehow secure funding through scholarships or anything like that any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

​​​​​​Mark
Old Oct 27th 2021, 2:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University education for British child on a family visa

Originally Posted by Knewmark
Hello I am a new Zealand citizen married to a Scot living in Glasgow. I previously lived in Perth WA from 2009 to 2018. My question is around student fees for my step son. He is 11 years old now and a British citizen. I can get my him and my wife the partner of a NZ citizen visa (461 visa) but this visa does not lead to permanent residency. From what I see I will have to live in Australia for 5 years to get myself permanent residency before I can get them a visa to get their residency. Obviously this is going to extend the time it takes to get them both residency and ultimately citizenship. From what I can see if he is on the 461 visa and wanting to study at university he will have to pay international student fees. Has anyone had a similar experience to this and were they able to somehow secure funding through scholarships or anything like that any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

​​​​​​Mark
Hi Mark and welcome to BE.

According to the attached link, your son would be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place at Uni, so he would pay home tuition fees rather than international tuition fees. However, it looks like he wouldn't meet the long-term residency requirements for a HELP loan - this is the loan scheme that allows a Uni student in a Commonwealth supported place to defer their home tuition fees until their earning reach a certain level. This means that your son would need to pay his home tuition fees upfront.
https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-...alian-citizens
Old Oct 28th 2021, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Knewmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for the reply. As he is my step son he will be on a temporary visa (461) as he is not a NZ citizen so I don't think he will be eligible for the CPA untill he becomes a permanent resident which could take many years to get.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply. As he is my step son he will be on a temporary visa (461) as he is not a NZ citizen so I don't think he will be eligible for the CPA untill he becomes a permanent resident which could take many years to get.
Could you officially adopt him, and then he is legally your son?
Old Oct 28th 2021, 3:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Mark - I checked the education depts of several States and saw that 461 visa holders were exempt from fees, but that was only for primary and secondary education. Sorry about that.

Any chance of you being eligible to apply for a PR skilled occupation visa?