university cost

Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default university cost

We have recently been granted a P/R visa .We are unsure of the best time to go with regard to our childrens education our eldest is 16 year 11 and begining G.C.S.E. Our youngest is 13 year 9 .We thought optimum time to go would be when our eldest would finish 6th form and youngest finish G.C.S.E. Both are bright and will almost certainly opt for UNI. Question is as newly arrived will it cost much more to study (as an international student)than if we were to settle earlier and become Australian citizens.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all
Default Re: university cost

Originally Posted by pauli71
We have recently been granted a P/R visa .We are unsure of the best time to go with regard to our childrens education our eldest is 16 year 11 and begining G.C.S.E. Our youngest is 13 year 9 .We thought optimum time to go would be when our eldest would finish 6th form and youngest finish G.C.S.E. Both are bright and will almost certainly opt for UNI. Question is as newly arrived will it cost much more to study (as an international student)than if we were to settle earlier and become Australian citizens.
A very difficult choice our children are similar ages we are going asap.so as for them to settle within the system and make new friends before leaving secondary education.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:35 pm
rudo1ph

It does make a difference if your children go when they first arrive, but they will not go to university as International Students (which would be horrendously expensive)......that would only be the case if you were here on a temp visa.

Basically the rules have recently changed. As of Jan 2005 PR's (excluding those on Humanitarian Visas) will have to pay their fee contribution upfront. Depending on what sort of course they choose this will be around $500 per subject - and the norm for a full time degree would be 4 subjects per semester - 2 semesters per year. This is assuming they are offered a Commonwealth Supported place at uni, which, again depending on the subject, most students do.

As a Citizen the rules are slightly different. Either they can opt for the government to loan them the upfront payment and pay it back in the future when they reach a particular earning level, or they can make the payment upfront (similar to a PR) BUT with a 20% (I think it's 20%) discount. Again it's all dependant on getting a commonwealth supported place.

This is all explained much more clearly on www.goingtouni.gov.au

Hope that helps with your descision.

Rudi

Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:39 pm
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
It does make a difference if your children go when they first arrive, but they will not go to university as International Students (which would be horrendously expensive)......that would only be the case if you were here on a temp visa.

Basically the rules have recently changed. As of Jan 2005 PR's (excluding those on Humanitarian Visas) will have to pay their fee contribution upfront. Depending on what sort of course they choose this will be around $500 per subject - and the norm for a full time degree would be 4 subjects per semester - 2 semesters per year. This is assuming they are offered a Commonwealth Supported place at uni, which, again depending on the subject, most students do.

As a Citizen the rules are slightly different. Either they can opt for the government to loan them the upfront payment and pay it back in the future when they reach a particular earning level, or they can make the payment upfront (similar to a PR) BUT with a 20% (I think it's 20%) discount. Again it's all dependant on getting a commonwealth supported place.

Rudi
EDIT

HMMMM for some reson that link doesn't seem to work, although it's the one given in the university handbook. This is another one I used....http://www.hecs.gov.au/ It loads.......BUT when I just clicked on the link there I got the same error message. Maybe the site is just down at the moment.

Edit 2

Seems to be ok now

Last edited by rudo1ph; Dec 5th 2004 at 10:31 pm.

Old Dec 6th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link to the site, it looks like just what we need. We are going over July 2005, eldest to start Uni Feb 2006 so just looking into it all now. I'd found out about the fee situation but we now need to find out about how to apply. I will pass onto him the website details for him to investigate.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rudo1ph

Rudi

Thank you for the reply very useful information. A substantial saving from what I expected. Thank you.