Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Universities in Melbourne

Universities in Melbourne

Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Question Universities in Melbourne

Hi folks,
What's your recommended university for a PhD of IT(Networking) course in Melbourne ?

TNX!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Universities in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi folks,
What's your recommended university for a PhD of IT(Networking) course in Melbourne ?

TNX!
RMIT would be your best bet for IT and/or Networking.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Dear JacktheLad,
What about University of Melbourne or Monash? , I found them on top of RMIT in rankings...
TNX

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
RMIT would be your best bet for IT and/or Networking.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

or Latrobe
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
or Latrobe
Dear friends,

Please provide us with any experience you may have with your choices.

Tnx
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Dear friends,

Please provide us with any experience you may have with your choices.

Tnx
Hi

Like all universities the ones in Melbourne have specialties. If you want something more technical I believe RMIT is the go. If you want to do Law it has to be Monash or Melbourne.

Just going to a University for the name and its 'ranking' is the wrong choice. Look up the various web sites. Assess what they have on offer and what you want to do, not where they are ranked in the tables.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

Like all universities the ones in Melbourne have specialties. If you want something more technical I believe RMIT is the go. If you want to do Law it has to be Monash or Melbourne.

Just going to a University for the name and its 'ranking' is the wrong choice. Look up the various web sites. Assess what they have on offer and what you want to do, not where they are ranked in the tables.

That's a personal view. I disagree - the best long term choice is usually to pick the university with the best overall reputation and stature. In Melbourne the University of Melbourne is top, followed by Monash. Both are members of the Group of Eight, http://www.go8.edu.au

This applies especially if you want the option of subsequently living or working away from Melbourne.

Jeremy
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Dear Jeremy,
Thanks for tip!
Could you please elaborate your following statement:
"This applies especially if you want the option of subsequently living or working away from Melbourne."
What did you mean by that?

TNX

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's a personal view. I disagree - the best long term choice is usually to pick the university with the best overall reputation and stature. In Melbourne the University of Melbourne is top, followed by Monash. Both are members of the Group of Eight, http://www.go8.edu.au

This applies especially if you want the option of subsequently living or working away from Melbourne.

Jeremy
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

Agreed, good advice.

I put in a thread last week about The Times Higher Education Supplement top 200 world universities. Melbourne was the highest ranked Victorian uni (at 19th) but you would be best advised to go there for the courses they are best at which is obviously more than just Law (I did my Commerce degree and Dip Ed there so I'd add that and courses such as Medicine, Engineering etc are highly regarded).

I also agree that RMIT has one of the best reputations on the I.T side as the name suggests - Royal Melbourne Institute for Technology University (used to be a college but most colleges are uni's now). There is a Victorian Institute of Technology (VUT) university as well but I'd be wary of that one.

There are other universities such as Deakin, VUT, Swinburne* etc but they are lower down in the pecking order for most courses. Melbourne, Monash, RMIT and LaTrobe are certainly the ones to look at for many courses.

OzTennis

We used to refer to it as Swinburne Higher Institute of Technology, or rather by its acronym. (it used to be just S.I.T in actual fact)
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Jeremy,
Thanks for tip!
Could you please elaborate your following statement:
"This applies especially if you want the option of subsequently living or working away from Melbourne."
What did you mean by that?

TNX

I meant that if you live away from Melbourne, how many people will have *heard* of any university other than the University of Melbourne?

The general prestige and stature of the university aren't the only criteria, but they should be given a high weighting. Other factors such as cost, eligibility (ie can you get in), reputation of the department and professional recognition are also important.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 1st 2005 at 11:47 am.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:44 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Agreed, good advice.

I put in a thread last week about The Times Higher Education Supplement top 200 world universities. Melbourne was the highest ranked Victorian uni (at 19th) but you would be best advised to go there for the courses they are best at which is obviously more than just Law (I did my Commerce degree and Dip Ed there so I'd add that and courses such as Medicine, Engineering etc are highly regarded).
If Melbourne is good enough to be ranked 19th in the world (admittedly rankings are subjective) then wouldn't all the departments need to be pretty good?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 1st 2005 at 11:48 am.