Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Units as investments

Units as investments

Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Units as investments

Are they a good idea ? What are the downsides ?
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:09 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Units as investments

Originally Posted by melaniee
Depends where you are thinking of buying them....in the City or on the Coast
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

The coast..

Originally Posted by Shortlets
Depends where you are thinking of buying them....in the City or on the Coast
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:02 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

You will usually have to pay an annual body corp fee so find out what that is and what it includes etc.

Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:57 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

where about on the coast...?

how many bedrooms....?

is there a lift....communal pool...?

age of property....?

body corp....?

will it be negatively geared...?

have you got a sea view...?

whats the price...?

these are the questions i'd be asking , before considering purchase....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the plumber
Or even better, positively geared - why lose money when you can make it.

Has the body corp got a decent sinking fund (ie for future maintenance, re-roofing etc)?

How easy/difficult would it be for you to be on the body corp committee?

Be aware that the home owner (not the renter) is responsible for water/sewage and council "rates".

Note that body corp fees can be expensive.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:13 am

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

if you find anything by the coast positively geared.....let me know i'll take 5....!

all the best plumb...
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Try joining a investment proerty forum I use www.somersoft.com.au , but I think there are heaps of others when i buy units I will only buy if yield is 5% or more
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

So many questions ! Not sure yet, just exploring the options of whether to buy a unit maybe Noosaville/Peregian area or a house somewhere else, more negatively geared (yikes)....any ideas on good investment areas at present ?

how many bedrooms....?

is there a lift....communal pool...?

age of property....?

body corp....?

have you got a sea view...?

whats the price...?

these are the questions i'd be asking , before considering purchase....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:30 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I don't like units.

When you buy a house/land it's the land is the appreciating asset and the house is the depreciating bit.

You have to be a little careful with units, people will sell you them on fancy tax packages where the accounts deprecate the unit allowing you to off set it against your tax, what they don't tell you is that you have to pay all that back in capital gains when you sell.

So many questions ! Not sure yet, just exploring the options of whether to buy a unit maybe Noosaville/Peregian area or a house somewhere else, more negatively geared (yikes)....any ideas on good investment areas at present ?
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't you end up paying CGT on houses too though ?

Originally Posted by themerlin
Hmmm I don't like units.

When you buy a house/land it's the land is the appreciating asset and the house is the depreciating bit.

You have to be a little careful with units, people will sell you them on fancy tax packages where the accounts deprecate the unit allowing you to off set it against your tax, what they don't tell you is that you have to pay all that back in capital gains when you sell.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

The bank is a guaranteed 7% for 12 months or bite your finger nails and worry about the expected 2 interest rate rises by the middle of next year and that they dont bring house prices sliding to a halt. Any profit made in an investment property is also taxable when you sell.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:53 am

I agree to an extent , houses are a safer bet and would be a preferable investment........but i think has houses become more and more expensive also people wanting to downsize etc , apartments are becoming a lot more attractive and in the future will become a good investment.

If you are looking for an apartment seriously , i'd look at location close to the beach, possible sea view that kind of thing.

all the best plumb.....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:21 am

just so happens i have a beautiful penthouse 2 bedroom apartment opposite the beach in kingscliff 15mins from coolangetta 25mins from the goldcoast.
and if you spoke to me nicely may be persuaded to part with it.

At the moment its a holiday rental.....if you want pics of it go on salesandrentals kingscliff....click holiday rental.....address , 313 marine parade.....best st in kingscliff opposite the beach.....great sea views from lounge photos don't do it justise.....

all the best plumb.....

ps aren't i cheeky.....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

just so happens i have a beautiful penthouse 2 bedroom apartment opposite the beach in kingscliff 15mins from coolangetta 25mins from the goldcoast.
and if you spoke to me nicely may be persuaded to part with it.

At the moment its a holiday rental.....if you want pics of it go on salesandrentals kingscliff....click holiday rental.....address , 313 marine parade.....best st in kingscliff opposite the beach.....great sea views from lounge photos don't do it justise.....

all the best plumb.....

ps aren't i cheeky.....
V cheeky. Property looks nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.