Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unfurnished Rentals - Whats included

Unfurnished Rentals - Whats included

Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unfurnished Rentals - Whats included

I've searched previous posts and found tons of stuff regarding unfurnished rental property but I've been unable to determine what, if anything, is left in the property.

As a general rule are kitchen appliances included, by which I mean dishwasher/fridge/washing maching/cooker.

Is gardening equipment included such as a lawnmower.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:21 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno about oz, but in NZ unfurnished generally means a cooker and nothing else.

A dishwasher is likely to be the only other thing included.

If you get lucky you might get a washing machine, but not usually.

Most cases, the place is stripped bare of everything, except the cooker, and curtains.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Unfurnished Rentals - Whats included

Originally posted by jerzy
I've searched previous posts and found tons of stuff regarding unfurnished rental property but I've been unable to determine what, if anything, is left in the property.

As a general rule are kitchen appliances included, by which I mean dishwasher/fridge/washing maching/cooker.

Is gardening equipment included such as a lawnmower.

Thanks.
Just the Oven ! You may get a dishwasher, but not very likely in older properties. New properties will often have them built in though.

The landlord is responsible for the repair of any appliances, so would want to keep that to a minimum. Definately not a lawnmower. However, some landlords come around and do the lawns for you !

The landlord also pays the Council Rates.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also found the landlord pays the water rates - though somtimes you may be liable to pay for excess water if you use too much. I didn't have to pay any agency fees either.

My rented place came with built in wardrobes, cooker and a tumble dryer (no washing machine).

TC
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:17 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by topcat
I've also found the landlord pays the water rates - though somtimes you may be liable to pay for excess water if you use too much. I didn't have to pay any agency fees either.

My rented place came with built in wardrobes, cooker and a tumble dryer (no washing machine).

TC
Speaking from a NSW perspective, water usually is paid for by the tenant, though older units sometimes have a "shared supply" so this does not apply.

My experience the same as the above, only a cooker and if lucky an air con unit and dishwasher! Bulit in's seem to be standard in at least one room (wardrobes).

We have been getting someone in to do our lawns, plenty of bods around, save you buying a mower/trimmer. Also if you have a garden you need to keep the beds weeded.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a landlord, I provide only the cooker, built-in airconditioner, and gas heater. My tenants provide their own washing machine, fridge, dishwasher. This is fairly standard in Adelaide, although if I bought a property that had a dishwasher I would leave that in for the tenant. I would also install one into one of my existing properties if a tenant asked me, if they were prepared to pay more rent, so its worth asking your landlord if you want something (fridge or whatever) not already provided. adelaidegirl
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:01 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dishwasher, oven and hob are what we currently get from our landlord.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:17 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

All depends. We are leaving more in our now-tenanted house, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, washing m/c, heaters, bits & pieces and - yes! - lawnmower.

Advantage for us is the fact landlord can depreciate all the above (if left) and offset against rental income (reduces tax bill).

Some places will be bare bones, others may offer more.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
All depends. We are leaving more in our now-tenanted house, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, washing m/c, heaters, bits & pieces and - yes! - lawnmower.

Advantage for us is the fact landlord can depreciate all the above (if left) and offset against rental income (reduces tax bill).

Some places will be bare bones, others may offer more.
Don
The problem is : what happens when they break down, etc. It is your responsibility to fix them.

Most tenants, although not all, seem to take whatever advantage they can.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:32 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Don
The problem is : what happens when they break down, etc. It is your responsibility to fix them.

Most tenants, although not all, seem to take whatever advantage they can.
True enough, we are taking a bigger risk. Our tenants (Aussie couple) seem OK - chippy - and I even met his parents (nice bloke, also a chippy). There may be repairs/ replacements but in 6 years of doing the same thing in the UK (renting out a furnished flat) I only had to replace a fridge plus some minor repairs.

And as long as all that costs less than the value of the dep'n, I'm winning.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Depends on the state with water rates, when we renting in Newcastle (NSW) we paid water rates – it wasn’t much, I seem to recall around $15 for a few months. QLD the tenant does not pay water rates.

Unfurnished means exactly that – only things you get are permanent fittings as mentioned, cooker, shelves on the walls ( I’ve never had a dishwasher in any rental) and most homes here have built in wardrobes. And yes curtains/blinds.
Lawnmower – no
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:07 am

In Sydney recently refurbished and new units increasingly offer a dishwasher. If landlords want the tennant they have to provide a better unit for less money than 5 years ago.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
In Sydney recently refurbished and new units increasingly offer a dishwasher. If landlords want the tennant they have to provide a better unit for less money than 5 years ago.
I heard on my local radio that rents in this area have gone by 10% in the last year. Interesting how different some areas are.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've rented two places and seen a few others here in Brissy

Dishwasher is common
Built in Wardrobes (in at least two rooms) very common
Fridge/Freezer - no
Cooker/hob - always
W Machine - no
Lawnmower - no
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:44 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I heard on my local radio that rents in this area have gone by 10% in the last year. Interesting how different some areas are.
Same size unit in the same block I live in came up for $5 a week less than what we are paying now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.