Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unemployment and Employment Services

Unemployment and Employment Services

Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:12 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unemployment and Employment Services

This is a thread for anyone who may be unfortunate enough to experience unemployment while in Australia.

We have been in Australia for 6 years now. I have had 3 jobs in that time. I was unemployed for 2 years from 2006 to 2008 due to recovering from brain surgery.

Prior to 2006 I had worked solely in the IT industry. After the brain surgery I found one of the residual effects was I had some short term memory issues and could no longer work in the IT consultancy role that I was in. To say that I was knocked side ways was an understatement. I was fortunate enough not to experience a dole office in the UK. Centrelink is not the most joyous of places. However I will say that they actioned everything very well and I was soon assessed (Job Capacity Assessment) and placed in the relevant Stream

During my rehab process I was put onto the Disability Employment Network (Now called Disability Employment Services). Basically I had to attend fortnightly appointments with my DEN consultant. She was there to provide me with a pathway back to employment.

Initially she was helping me on setting up my own business helping people with there home computers. I was originally looking at going on the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/J.../NEIS.aspx#who

Basically if you have an idea for a business this course will help you get up and running. You will also be entitled to some benefits in the first year

Stream Services
The level of help and support you get will vary dependent on which employment stream you are in.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/J...mServices.aspx

Another major program by the government is the Productivity Places Program

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...s/default.aspx

I have seen several jobseekers undertake these courses and achieve a new career at the end of it.

Through my DEN consultant I got my first job in the Employment Services Industry and I have subsequently become a qualified trainer running programs for job seekers

Anyway I hope this may be of help to anyone unfortunate enough to lose their job

Last edited by HUP; Apr 1st 2010 at 3:15 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:02 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment and Employment Services

I'll give you a bump to get it back the the front page.