Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unemployment and Employment Services

Unemployment and Employment Services

Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:25 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unemployment and Employment Services

This is a thread for anyone who may be unfortunate enough to experience unemployment while in Australia. Over the next few days I will add more information

Firstly a bit of background. We have been in Australia for 6 years now. I have had 3 jobs in that time. I was unemployed for 2 years from 2006 to 2008 due to recovering from brain surgery.

Prior to 2006 I had worked solely in the IT industry. After the brain surgery I found one of the residual effects was I had some short term memory issues and could no longer work in the IT consultancy role that I was in. To say that I was knocked side ways was an understatement.

During my rehab process I was put onto the Disability Employment Network (Now call Disability Employment Services). Basically I had to attend fortnightly appointments with my DEN consultant. She was there to help me with a pathway back to employment.

Initially she was helping me on setting up my own business helping people with there home computers. Then she sent me a job ad for a Work For the Dole Placements Officer.

Basically job seekers had to either attend the programs I ran each week and they would learn new computing skills and receive help job hunting or alternatively I would source a volunteer position for them in a not-for-profit organisation.

The Employment Services industry underwent massive changes last year (New government new ideas etc). The big focus on the long term unemployed is getting them work experience.

Firstly here are some really useful websites. Useful also to those of you who have not arrived yet

www.seek.com.au Probably the largest. You can set up job mails with this site and it will send you regular emails on jobs matching your search criteria. Saves you going in each day and typing the same thing. Make sure you spell your search words correctly though!!

www.careerone.com.au . A really useful aspect of this site is that you can search by postcode. You put in your postcode and how far you are prepared to travel.

www.jobsearch.com.au . Searches across several of the major jobsearch websites

www.jobsearch.gov.au . The Australian Government Jobsearch website. You can search by area and career type. If you are unemployed you can register and receive notifications of matching jobs.

www.mycareer.com

Last edited by HUP; Mar 31st 2010 at 5:28 am.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:25 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment and Employment Services

As part of my intensive activity we get job seekers to understand what the “Hidden Job Market” is and how they can tap into it. Below are some extracts and articles which highlight how important it can be.

To lend weight to this I got my first job in Australia by a cold call email. Basically before we left the UK I researched companies who did the same type of work that I did. I then sent emails with a cover letter and a copy of my resume. When we arrived in Australia I checked my emails and I had one inviting me to call them when I reached Melbourne. I called them they invited me for an interview the next day and I walked out the following day with a job

http://www.seek.com.au/career-resour...dden-jobs.ascx

What is the hidden job market?
There is a common consensus amongst employment experts that only a fraction of vacancies ever reach an external advertising medium with a whopping 75% of job vacancies being filled through alternative methods - "the hidden job market".

Putting it into perspective

So does this mean, somewhere, somehow there are thousands more vacancies being listed? Well "yes" and "no".

Of the 75% of vacancies that are never listed (hidden),
many are filled internally. However, if we say there is still some 20% of this figure that can be reached by you the "employment seeker", then there's still a huge number or potential offerings that you won't find in any newspaper or recruitment agency.

So how can you tap into this missing segment of the job market? - We'll it's a simple as knowing people and picking up the phone !!!

Referrals

Employers still seek comfort in a referral system based on existing employees recommending (referring) a friend or colleague. It's basically the largest recruitment method outside of external advertising and it's a recruitment agencies worst nightmare.

By simply asking friends or associates to "keep an eye out", you can create a whole new window of opportunity. So don't miss out on this highly effective system - but it is down to you to ask, not for others to approach you.

Networking

Networking will come from your knowledge and understanding of the industries you are focusing on, and from simply talking with people within the trade. Whether you are just brushing shoulders with the right people, meeting through industry bodies or creating your own system of networking, you could find yourself talk to the right person at the right time for the right position. Networking takes dedication - not desperation.

Don't forget to network through your social settings, as it's through this type of networking that we may build relationships which will often help boost your chances of referrals.

Cold Calling

Cold calling is used by most recruitment agencies and is as simple as calling a known business that you would like to work for and asking to speak with the person in charge of recruitment.

Be prepared, as in most instances you will receive a rejection, but don't take this personally as many employers will be happy to provide some form of advice.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

chrisve is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is very helpfull. I am arriving in Perth on Tuesday and then start the big job hunt.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Good thread.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:21 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Doing some research with one of the job seekers on my course I found this website

http://www.alljobs.com.au/

The site searches across several of the other jobsearch websites.

Some other useful sites that specialize in certain areas

www.roberthalf.com.au - Focusing on accounts\finace\computing
http://www.efinancialcareers.com.au/ - Accounting and finance
http://www.dentalcareersaustralia.com.au/ - Dental
http://www.ncah.com.au/ - Nursing and health professionals
http://www.civiljobs.com.au/ - Civil engineers and drafters

The Australian job market has an award system which is meant to provide a minimum standard of employment. You can get an idea of what sort of minimum package you should be getting within your profession. Full details on award rates can be found here

Fairwork