Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uncertain times.

Uncertain times.

Old Jun 12th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uncertain times.

With the task of getting the visa behind us, we now kick off the new challenge of actually moving ourselves, baby, two cats and 20ft container to Australia.

It's a really exciting time, we've waited ages to be in this position and by no means in two minds about not making the move.

We do have a few concerns i.e. we've never been to Australia before so don't know really what to expect, we know no one at all in Perth, we leave in 4 months and the house is still for sale, we still haven't organised any sort of accommodation and the Mother in-law can't take it and has lost the plot.
Apart from that the warm feeling of knowing that; this is it, there's no going back and the knowledge that are life is about to change for the better seems to subdue and dampen the slight nervous anxiety that is starting to creep in.

I don't know why I've written this post, I usually always write something that either has a question to it or has some kind of information to help someone's question. I guess I'm waffling, and possible it's because the nerves are starting to set in.
However if anyone's in the same position as us this post might help in the knowledge you're not the only one going though uncertain times.

Taking each day as they come,
pickletheplacid
Old Jun 12th 2003, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

hI pickle,

Have you looked at www.PelicanPals.co.uk for accommodation for the short term while you get set-up. They are getting quite booked up so it will be worth a look. (dont forget to mention my name, !!)

Good luck, despite all the negative stuff that flies about on this forum, Perth is a beautiful city.

Chris

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 12th 2003 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 7:05 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

It would be more difficult & challenging to actually stay in the UK, bravery is not required just common sense.
Reasons to be cheerfull 123
Old Jun 12th 2003, 10:28 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Know what you mean. I got a job offer in Oz 2 months ago by accident (not quite but almost - long story). Now I'm due to start work in Sydney on 1st July. House is up for sale, leaving wife & kids to sort out this end.

I'm V. busy now & when I've gone I'm pretty useless & I feel uneasy leaving them to it while I'm off on the other side of the world. This is only my third job in the 21 years since I left school, so its a big jump. Not loosing much sleep though - Yet. But it's not going to be long before I do....
Swinging between being excited & s**ting myself every 5 minutes!

Dave
Old Jun 14th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bluerobot
Know what you mean. I got a job offer in Oz 2 months ago by accident (not quite but almost - long story). Now I'm due to start work in Sydney on 1st July. House is up for sale, leaving wife & kids to sort out this end.

I'm V. busy now & when I've gone I'm pretty useless & I feel uneasy leaving them to it while I'm off on the other side of the world. This is only my third job in the 21 years since I left school, so its a big jump. Not loosing much sleep though - Yet. But it's not going to be long before I do....
Swinging between being excited & s**ting myself every 5 minutes!

Dave
Hang in there Dave

It will all come right in the end. Nothing in life is easy.

Best of luck with the house sale

Regards

Terry

PS need that PS2 vid NOWWW!!!!!!!

Old Jun 14th 2003, 10:01 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Originally posted by terryg
Hang in there Dave

It will all come right in the end. Nothing in life is easy.

Best of luck with the house sale

Regards

Terry

PS need that PS2 vid NOWWW!!!!!!!

Did H tell you about that then? - very amusing.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Come on Dave - need the UNEDITED version please by email

cheers

Tee
Old Jun 14th 2003, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uncertain times.

Originally posted by pickletheplacid
We do have a few concerns i.e. we've never been to Australia before so don't know really what to expect,
pickletheplacid

Hi,
Have you thought about renting your house out?

We have been to Australia on holidays 5 times, staying 2 months the 1st time and 1 month on the other times.
We moved here in march and are unsure what to do, our children have started school and husband has a good job, our stuff for shipping is still in the uk as we may go back, we wished we had kept our house in the uk and not sold.
Sue
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:52 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]

Dave, do it and you will die!
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h garrett

Live and Let die !!!
Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:46 pm
Sun Dodger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h garrett

What's it worth then?

Might even put it up on Ebay - see who the highest bidder is

Dave
Old Jun 15th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

C'mon tell the rest of us....we're all in the dark here!!!

Old Jun 15th 2003, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

What's it worth then?

Might even put it up on Ebay - see who the highest bidder is

Dave
A boxed set of Robot wars on DVD - Region 4 !!!