Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement

Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement

Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement

Hiya, wonder if anyone can help. Probably getting myself in a panic about something completely irrelevant but trying to fill in the above AQIS form B534
(6/00) that goes with your goods when they are shipped.

Two of the questions are making me dither. One is about whether or not you are shipping medicines and I could just carry all the medicine in my hand luggage wth a copy of the prescription which should I hope sort that one out. But the main questions is about whether you are shipping any furniture or other articles of wood. Am I supposed to declare everything that is made of wood, i.e. coffee tables, wardrobes chests of drawers etc? I am not taking anything made of bamboo or rattan but the wooden article list is fairly substantial. Any help from anyone who has already done this would be great.

thanks
Nikki
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hiya, wonder if anyone can help. Probably getting myself in a panic about something completely irrelevant but trying to fill in the above AQIS form B534

Two of the questions are making me dither. One is about whether or not you are shipping medicines and I could just carry all the medicine in my hand luggage wth a copy of the prescription which should I hope sort that one out. But the main questions is about whether you are shipping any furniture or other articles of wood. Am I supposed to declare everything that is made of wood, i.e. coffee tables, wardrobes chests of drawers etc? I am not taking anything made of bamboo or rattan but the wooden article list is fairly substantial. Any help from anyone who has already done this would be great.

thanks
Nikki
Just declare that you have items of wooden furniture, you are then covered ,if Aqis check your shipment and find undeclared furniture then they call in customs, and then the FUN begins .........................mm
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

thanks
Nikki
When my aunt & uncle went out - they went with the declare everything moto and you can't get caught out. My advise is if you are not sure - declare it. If you needed to - you have done it. If you didn't need too - no harm done!

Hope it all goes well

Last edited by Nizcac; Mar 25th 2007 at 4:31 pm. Reason: I need to use a dictionary more often - my post may be more readable. :)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Nikki
We just said that we had furniture and articles made of wood but that there was no untreated wood, or bamboo, etc...

Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:24 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

what is the problem with bamboo? I want to take my bamboo rocker

Kim
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Nikki
AQIS use the B534 to assess how much time they will need to check your effects. For wood, put "household furniture" then highlight anything unusual. If your packers inventory is vague, they will pull in anything marked "Kitchen" for food, "tools" for dirt and "clothing" for shoes. Ours did, anyway.

Mark
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:04 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
AQIS use the B534 to assess how much time they will need to check your effects. For wood, put "household furniture" then highlight anything unusual. If your packers inventory is vague, they will pull in anything marked "Kitchen" for food, "tools" for dirt and "clothing" for shoes. Ours did, anyway.

Mark
The b534 is a customs doc , nothing to do with AQIS.
Aqis will refer to it if they find a descrepency , [IE undeclared goods ].
If your smart you will get your packers to put any thing that has touched soil or food related ,into a number of boxes marked with a "Q" its amazing how much we appreciate this when unloading containers.
And it saves you money .................mm
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
If your smart you will get your packers to put any thing that has touched soil or food related ,into a number of boxes marked with a "Q" its amazing how much we appreciate this when unloading containers.
Hi Mr Mover,
Does this mean that if there is a Q on the box it is for possible quaratine and will definately be opened?

Also we will be bringing a 10ft trampoline with us - shippers over here(UK) have told us to clean it with Jeyes Fluid ~(Super strong disinfectant). Do you think this will be ok or are we kidiing ourselves? The trampoline isn't submerged it sits ON the garden.

Niz
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We brought a trampoline with us and it got through customs with no issues . We simply wiped it clean before it was packed.

In terms of wooden furniture we were told to fill in the form by using the phrase 'used household furniture' and apparently this would cover it.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

This is from the Aus Gvmt ICE program guidelines:

All UPE items reported to the ICS on an electronic UPE (B534) statement are referred across to the AQIS UPE application and will require an initial physical inspection. Any UPE items within the UPE application that require more than the initial physical inspection (e.g. fumigation treatment) will be
upgraded to an AQIS Import Management System (AIMS) Quarantine Entry (QE) and charged accordingly.

Doesn't this suggest that every B534 automatically goes accross to AQIS? The reason I am so interested in this is that we were told by our movers here in Perth that our unexpectedly high (for us) AQIS charges were due to AQIS estimating how much time they would need to inspect our container. As the B534 is the only documentary evidence of the container contents apart from the packing list (which was filled in by our UK packers) I am keen to know if AQIS based their estimate on this (which I filled in) or the packing list (which the packers did). I was annoyed at packing time in the UK since we had completed a comprehensive inventory of box contents which we provided to the packers. They ignored it and filled in very loose descriptors. When the AQIS man saw the descriptors we had written on the outside of the boxes he said 75% shouldn't have been pulled out for inspection. FWIW we were charged $640 + gst AQIS inspection fee. The inspection, which we attended, took under 1/2 an hour.

Cheers

Mark
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi Mr Mover,
Does this mean that if there is a Q on the box it is for possible quaratine and will definately be opened?

Also we will be bringing a 10ft trampoline with us - shippers over here(UK) have told us to clean it with Jeyes Fluid ~(Super strong disinfectant). Do you think this will be ok or are we kidiing ourselves? The trampoline isn't submerged it sits ON the garden.

Niz
YES ,we will assume you have read the Aqis web site and are aware of what is required of you , and your shipment will generally get a quick check........... mm ps trampolines make sure the pipes have no nasties living inside,
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:09 am
Banned

Hi.

Doesn't this suggest that every B534 automatically goes accross to AQIS? Cheers

Mark
Mark your docs are lodged with your agent in Aust and Aust customs ,AQIS will check your shipment no matter what, if the find illegal items/substances they then refer to your B534 If you have not declared on your form what they have found they then call in customs , i have seen them totally unpack a 40 ft container from the states when steroids were found , an ex Falklands veteran who had a few souvenirs in his shipment, undeclared military items, went to town on this one $ 5000 fine . and risked being deported.......... mm
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark your docs are lodged with your agent in Aust and Aust customs ,AQIS will check your shipment no matter what, if the find illegal items/substances they then refer to your B534 If you have not declared on your form what they have found they then call in customs , i have seen them totally unpack a 40 ft container from the states when steroids were found , an ex Falklands veteran who had a few souvenirs in his shipment, undeclared military items, went to town on this one $ 5000 fine . and risked being deported.......... mm
Hi Mr Mover,

Wow that is scary. I have one more question which you might be able to answer. Our container was unloaded from the shipping container into a delivery container at the bond store. About 25 boxes were pulled out from the shipment (of 165 boxes) and left for the AQIS man to inspect. In your experience, who would pull these boxes out? Would it be people from AQIS or people from the agent company?

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:13 pm
Banned

Hi Mr Mover,

Wow that is scary. I have one more question which you might be able to answer. Our container was unloaded from the shipping container into a delivery container at the bond store. About 25 boxes were pulled out from the shipment (of 165 boxes) and left for the AQIS man to inspect. In your experience, who would pull these boxes out? Would it be people from AQIS or people from the agent company?

Thanks

Mark
As we unload the containers the "load checker/storeman" is reading and ticking the inventory , as an item comes off that might be of interest to AQIS ,eg Garden tools, mower , kitchen boxes, wooden ornaments, camping equip,; these are placed on a Quarantine trolly, and kept separate from the rest of the shipment.
Aqis will sometimes demand 2or3 random boxes be opened, but generally this is only if they have a light work load- not very often...............mm