Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UN names Australia as the 2nd best place in the world to live

UN names Australia as the 2nd best place in the world to live

Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UN names Australia as the 2nd best place in the world to live

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We're too busy having a relaxed good life to be creative.
Yeah, really sounds like it!
I try and work as many hours as I can - but that's mainly because I'm a grabbing scumbag contractor!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I dont think backpackers deserve the deciding vote, or even a vote.

I knew the validity of sex crazed drugged up backpackers would have to come into this

I'm sorta swinging with the backpackers but also partly with the UN survey.

However I became wary of surveys after the one that voted Iceland number one shortly before it went into economic meldown.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 5th 2010 at 5:01 am.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Less grenade, more landmine LOL.

Overrated and expensive, lather guaranteed.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/o...-1225948099792

Senecaaaaaa ........
There's some truth to this. When I did my 2 years of travelling, the best countries I went to were Germany, Thailand, Vietnam, New Zealand and the US. Australia is way down on my list but it's still one of the best places in the world to live. For instance, Vietnam is an amazing country to visit but an average place to live. Same for NZ. Australia is opposite.

The advantage of coming to Australia when travelling is that it is a great place to earn money so that you can continue travelling.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Yeah, really sounds like it!
You've got to understand the scumbag contractor ethos:
Grab as much as you can, in as short a space of time, so that you can have a great, chilled lifestyle.

All the rest is details - job security? career advancement? holiday pay? Pah! That shit is for the people who have not got the balls to take a bit of risk.

Show me the f**king money!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

You've got to understand the scumbag contractor ethos:
Grab as much as you can, in as short a space of time, so that you can have a great, chilled lifestyle.

All the rest is details - job security? career advancement? holiday pay? Pah! That shit is for the people who have not got the balls to take a bit of risk.

Great strategy during boom times, that's for sure.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

We're too busy having a relaxed good life to be creative.
Since when were you an Aussie?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Since when were you an Aussie?
I'm an Aussie whenever I'm in the mood to be one.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

My sentiments exactly!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:27 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Ireland is in the top 5. Do the UN also write for the Sun?
Check out the UK's robbery rate ! Its 4 to 6 times that of Ireland or Aus. Maybe that's part of the reason it comes in at #26 ?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

LOL at the backpackers....owww Australia iss too expensive I"m going to go back to SE Asia Where they will tolerate me gtetting smashed and it's cheaper. Just goes to show the quality of many of the backpackers entering.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

So compared to the UK, Australians have better health, earn more, have a better education system and are 4x less likely to get robbed. Jeez, if I was in Britain I'd be on the next plane without even needing to think about the vastly improved lifestyle and climate
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The UNDP changed the methodology this year which explains some of the rapid changes in rankings. If you were wondering why NZ leapt 17 places maybe it's got something to do with Helen Clarke (ex Kiwi PM) being the head honcho at the UNDP. A bit sus, but Australia does equally well with both methodologies.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Wow... The Justice Department figures show repossession claims peaked in 2008-09 at the height of the global financial crisis with 1,759 cases, before steadying to 1,612 cases in 2009-10.

Compared to the UK
The number of homes in the UK repossessed by lenders rose last year by 54% to 40,000, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML).
Despite the recession, the CML said this was fewer than it had originally predicted, but it expects repossessions this year will reach about 75,000.
and that is only houses, add the businesses and what is the figure ?

So QLD 1,612 homes and business for a population of 4.5m = 1 in every 2,791 people.

UK 40,000 homes only repossessed from 62m population = 1 in every 1,550 people.
or, if the higher figure is right...
UK 75,000 homes only from 62m population = 1 in every 826 people.

The QLD figure may be a record, but it isn't as bad as the headline indicates.

Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
The UNDP changed the methodology this year which explains some of the rapid changes in rankings. If you were wondering why NZ leapt 17 places maybe it's got something to do with Helen Clarke (ex Kiwi PM) being the head honcho at the UNDP. A bit sus, but Australia does equally well with both methodologies.
I suspect the US had some influence on the new methodology as well because it made a hell of a jump from 13 to 4. I definitely am suspicious of this change. But like you say, Aus is very high on both methodologies, and UK is low on both.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:30 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
................. A true capitalist country would let the rotten companies go bust, not support them with taxpayers cash. Let the market decide.
meaning banking sector?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.