uktax

Old May 23rd 2005, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

mikejc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uktax

i plan to let my house out in the UK until I'm happy with my new life down under this could be up to 2 years . Has anyone also done this and did they have any trouble with tax on the proceeds of there house sale.
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uktax

Originally Posted by mikejc
i plan to let my house out in the UK until I'm happy with my new life down under this could be up to 2 years . Has anyone also done this and did they have any trouble with tax on the proceeds of there house sale.
What do you mean by 'trouble'?

As long as you are prepared to comply with income and capital gains tax rules there should be no problems.

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

mikejc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you mean by 'trouble'?

As long as you are prepared to comply with income and capital gains tax rules there should be no problems.

Jeremy
what i meant is do you have to give up 40% of your uk house to the British government if your in oz at the time
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

what i meant is do you have to give up 40% of your uk house to the British government if your in oz at the time

No you don't. You may not be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax at all if you are resident in Australia, and even if you are, there is relief for property that is or was your main residence.

You may be liable to Australian Capital Gains Tax on the gain between becoming tax resident and sale of the property. Again, reliefs might be available.

You will be expected to pay Australian income tax on the rental profits, whether you bring the money to Australia or not.

If still confused - get professional advice.

Jeremy
Old May 24th 2005, 1:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Factsheets

Mike,

There are some free tax factsheets here:
http://www.collettandco.com/factsheet.cfm

Best regards.
Old May 24th 2005, 2:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Take my advice, sell the house now. We did what you are planning and it has been painful. The house has been empty for 10 months and even though we have a buyer we are still waiting for that last minute price negociation.

I've also had the extra paperwork of working out and declaring the profit from the rent (when I did have a tennant) and paying the tax bill to the ATO when I couldn't afford it...

It's a pain, don't do it.