UK in a word

Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK in a word

Mixed.

Everyone needs to get their own balance right.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:31 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

IS

As in 'it just is', well as far as me and hubby are concerned. we tried oz before, came home, very glad, got itchy feet again, started putting things in place for our return to australia early next year and then thought 'what are we doing:scared: '. great place oz, but so far away from friends and family that the thought of going without any close ties again has turned us around again.
for all it's problems and faults, the uk is the place to be for love and excitement (well it is for us anyway). since deciding to stay put in the uk it has been like pulling on that security blanket, feeling safe and secure again.

Louise
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merlot
Jugsy, given the circumstances of the last week it is difficult for the most optimistic and bouyant of posters to feel 100% positive at the moment.

Hopefully the smiles will be back

M
The thing is that I don't think that is why some people are being negative.
One poster said the U.K. is flawed - I totally agree, what country isn't?
However some comments have just been silly.
I always maintain that the people who go for the pull factors and a bit of adventure will be far happier and more succesfull than those who only see the bad - "U.K is crap, every time I leave my house I am attacked by 15 year old chavs, it rains 24 hours a day and the checkout girl in Tesco's doesn't ask me about my piles"
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... Three Words ... I shouldn't ... but I will ...

... Rip Off Britain ...

... OK, four ...

... FACT ...
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:30 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Terrifying!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:13 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

BELONG

The feeling of belonging just hasn't happend yet for me!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Complex.

(how one feels about it, is how it is)

I would never live here again, However I've appreciated it more this time, than I ever did before.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:42 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: UK in a word

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Old
Spooky - no, not UK... just that this is exactly what I was thinking - both in terms of history, and worn out... I've just come back from a visit to your website and been extolling its virtues to others... and here you are, once again, reading my mind!!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:30 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by jugsy
The thing is that I don't think that is why some people are being negative.
One poster said the U.K. is flawed - I totally agree, what country isn't?
However some comments have just been silly.
I always maintain that the people who go for the pull factors and a bit of adventure will be far happier and more succesfull than those who only see the bad - "U.K is crap, every time I leave my house I am attacked by 15 year old chavs, it rains 24 hours a day and the checkout girl in Tesco's doesn't ask me about my piles"
What we are hearing is a small section of society's perspective, on a Forum which is for those wanting to go to Oz so many I feeling to a degree like they have had enough. Also we all have good days and bad days. I may have answered very differently to this 12 months back, in fact I know I would have done.

People need to experience their own life in a new place, the reason they went may not be there when they get there and off back here they come, realising the old dart is not all bad. Like every experience you have to learn it first hand, we don't want to listen to others stories. How many times did we not listen to our parents :scared:

M

Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

My word: Familiar

Sorry guys, but my view is that anyone who is British (or who has adopted Britain as home), takes responsibility for what is happening in the UK, whether you consider it to be good or bad, we all have the opportunity to be a part in shaping the country, whether we live there or not.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:02 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Brilliant, historically wealthy, culturally diverse, rich, beautiful.

Why run down UK?

Some people think all their problems happen because the live in UK but in reality when they move they take their problems with them(i.e. their family). Marry a good woman/man and be happy no matter where you live.

Only reason I want to leave UK is I need I can't afford to buy a house here in a nice area and 75% of my family live in Aus so I want to be closer to them.

People starving, being oppressed by their government, being murdered or run out of their homes just because they do not have the same religion or skin colour. Anyone who slates the UK needs to look at the rest of the world, we have free health service, excellent free schooling, beautiful countryside, wonderful people. Why just focus on the negative, negatives can be found anywhere.

Life is what you make it when you live in Great Britain! Why not look at Iraq to see what living in tough conditions are?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Brilliant, historically wealthy, culturally diverse, rich, beautiful.

Why run down UK?

Some people think all their problems happen because the live in UK but in reality when they move they take their problems with them(i.e. their family). Marry a good woman/man and be happy no matter where you live.

Only reason I want to leave UK is I need I can't afford to buy a house here in a nice area and 75% of my family live in Aus so I want to be closer to them.

People starving, being oppressed by their government, being murdered or run out of their homes just because they do not have the same religion or skin colour. Anyone who slates the UK needs to look at the rest of the world, we have free health service, excellent free schooling, beautiful countryside, wonderful people. Why just focus on the negative, negatives can be found anywhere.

Life is what you make it when you live in Great Britain! Why not look at Iraq to see what living in tough conditions are?
That is definitely more than one.
Not noticed a lot of slating going on. People asked to think of one word. If that one word appears slating or negative to you don't knock them for it. It is just their opinion not laid in concrete.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:24 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That is definitely more than one.
Not noticed a lot of slating going on. People asked to think of one word. If that one word appears slating or negative to you don't knock them for it. It is just their opinion not laid in concrete.
and the whole point of the thread. well said moneypen
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:26 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
My word: Familiar

Sorry guys, but my view is that anyone who is British (or who has adopted Britain as home), takes responsibility for what is happening in the UK, whether you consider it to be good or bad, we all have the opportunity to be a part in shaping the country, whether we live there or not.
What happens to us confused bods with both a British and Australian passport, where does one say their loyality lies . . the country of birth, where they live, where they want to live??

For me I feel more Australian living in Britain at the moment, how do others feel?

A confused M

Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
What happens to us confused bods with both a British and Australian passport, where does one say their loyality lies . . the country of birth, where they live, where they want to live??

For me I feel more Australian living in Britain at the moment, how do others feel?

A confused M
You've confused the hell out of me. If you're not posting on here anymore, how come you posted this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.