Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are UK Wills Valid in Oz

Are UK Wills Valid in Oz

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough
Default Are UK Wills Valid in Oz

just wondering if our uk will will be valid in oz, or will we need to get another one done,
cheers
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:40 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are UK Wills Valid in Oz

This may be incorrect but I think you have to have one done for each country where you own property/investments.

I am an Aussie and when I moved to the UK I had a will drawn before I left which deallt with all my investments and property in Australia.

I understand that this would not apply to property I have since acquired int he UK and I would have to have a seperate will for here....... actually, I had better get around to doing that!!

Planing on selling everything here anyway ....don't like that inheritance tax scam the government have got going on!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:25 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
This may be incorrect but I think you have to have one done for each country where you own property/investments.

I am an Aussie and when I moved to the UK I had a will drawn before I left which deallt with all my investments and property in Australia.

I understand that this would not apply to property I have since acquired int he UK and I would have to have a seperate will for here....... actually, I had better get around to doing that!!

Planing on selling everything here anyway ....don't like that inheritance tax scam the government have got going on!!!!

I have always thought that it (the will) is valid wherever in the world you are. Instructions are usually left with the executor (ie relative, family solicitor) of the estate as to what to do in the event of your demise. They normally know if you live outside of the country which you originally came from, and would be able to trace through bank accounts, title deeds etc any overseas assets etc. I maybe wrong but I think that this is the way it is still done.
As a last resort alter the original will to include mention of any overseas assets, so that the executor has the info at their fingertips. I'm sure that if I was to kick the bucket in the UK, my will would cover any assets that in the UK (if I had any).

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 27th 2007 at 3:28 am.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
As a last resort alter the original will to include mention of any overseas assets, so that the executor has the info at their fingertips. I'm sure that if I was to kick the bucket in the UK, my will would cover any assets that in the UK (if I had any).
I'm the only Uk asset you've got, aren't I? What aren't you telling me?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:52 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as I am aware NO
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:41 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Been there done it in both countries..sorry but UK wills valid in UK Oz ones in Oz, due to property and assests.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:19 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

You can have still have a UK will that will apply only to any assets still in your name in the UK (eg money in a UK account, UK property) but once you are in Oz you should make a will to cover your assets in that country (new house, money etc). I just phoned the solicitor last week to check this myself - have not got a will at all yet